Joe Collier, father of the 3-4?

Very interesting article Beerball. Thanks for posting.

I remember Collier well from his days in Buffalo. He presided over some dark times and it was hard on him and his family. I remember hearing his wife was afraid to leave the house and would put a newspaper in front of her face when she went to the hairdresser. Bills fans have always been a bit crazy. But Collier was an excellent coordinator, that's for sure. BTW his son is coaching in the league somewhere.

The discussion is similar to the discussion we recently had about the no-huddle offenses with Cincinnati's Sugar Huddle, our K-Gun, and the Colt's No-Huddle.

I remember well Chuck Fairbanks' contributions to 3-4 prominence. I think Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton was their nose tackle. He wasn't tall but he was immovable.

The article is very well written and researched. They mention also how the Houston Oilers under Bum Phillips were a great 3-4 team. I remember those teams with Curley Culp at nose tackle Elvin Bethea at DE and Robert Brazile at linebacker (are any of those guys in the Hall of Fame? They were all truly great players).

Again thanks for posting.

They mention also how the Houston Oilers under Bum Phillips were a great 3-4 team. I remember those teams with Curley Culp at nose tackle Elvin Bethea at DE and Robert Brazile at linebacker (are any of those guys in the Hall of Fame? They were all truly great players).

Only Bethea.

Very interesting article Beerball. Thanks for posting.

I remember Collier well from his days in Buffalo. He presided over some dark times and it was hard on him and his family. I remember hearing his wife was afraid to leave the house and would put a newspaper in front of her face when she went to the hairdresser. Bills fans have always been a bit crazy. But Collier was an excellent coordinator, that's for sure. BTW his son is coaching in the league somewhere.

The article is very well written and researched. They mention also how the Houston Oilers under Bum Phillips were a great 3-4 team. I remember those teams with Curley Culp at nose tackle Elvin Bethea at DE and Robert Brazile at linebacker (are any of those guys in the Hall of Fame? They were all truly great players).

The Collier's lived in my neighborhood and I took a likin' to one of their daughters. 'Dad' was always in the basement, watching Bills 'movies'. I always wanted to go down there and watch with him, but knew better. Anyway, they had no fear of the North Tonawandian's 'hatin on them'. Wonderful folks and while, yes, the Bills didn't win championships with Joe on the sideline- as HEAD coach, he bolted for Denver before the whole bottom fell out.

I'm sure he was a nice man, but he's got to be in the running for the worst head coach. The loss to Kansas City to miss Super Bowl 1, the trade of Lamonica and Bass had to be the dumbest of all time (except perhaps for the trading of Cookie Gilchrist for Billy Joe), the trade of Tom Day for Keith Lincoln was another bonehead move. Nope...he is high on our list of all time bad coaches.

I'm sure he was a nice man, but he's got to be in the running for the worst head coach. The loss to Kansas City to miss Super Bowl 1, the trade of Lamonica and Bass had to be the dumbest of all time (except perhaps for the trading of Cookie Gilchrist for Billy Joe), the trade of Tom Day for Keith Lincoln was another bonehead move. Nope...he is high on our list of all time bad coaches.

Not even close to being the worst. Harvey johnson, Jim Ringo, Hank B and John Rauch.

Joe Collier got them to the AFL championship. Excellent D coach as well.

Yes in '66 they reached and lost the AFL Championship with the team that Saban had won with in '65 and '64. They continued to decline the next two years. I was pretty young then so it might have had to do with other things such as an aging roster.

It's hard to evaluate coaching in the context of many other things, not least the fog of AFL history.

Linky no worky for some reason. But can anyone who's read the article tell me if Bud Wilkinson was mentioned at all? His 4-4 was the pre-cursor to the 3-4 that used many of the same elements when first used in the NFL. Just wondering.

GO BILLS!!!

Linky no worky for some reason. But can anyone who's read the article tell me if Bud Wilkinson was mentioned at all? His 4-4 was the pre-cursor to the 3-4 that used many of the same elements when first used in the NFL. Just wondering.

GO BILLS!!!

looks like nationalsportsreview.com is offline or has some DNS problems, maybe try later on...

Not even close to being the worst. Harvey johnson, Jim Ringo, Hank B and John Rauch.

I'm not sure anyone took a team with superbowl talent down so fast as Collier did. A lot of the loss to Kansas City involved hiw inability to run the offense and his subsequent trade of Lamonica/Bass for Flores/Powell and other bad trades ran the team into the ground. Many of the coaches you mention took bad teams and didn't do anything with them. Collier had perhaps the best team we ever had (apologies to the Kelly era...and turned it into the laughing stock of the NFL.