Computer Help - Wireless Internet

EZC-Boston

Ok I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but I'm lost on this one. I just hooked up my DTV DVR to the internet using a wireless adapter, which I needed to do for DTV On Demand. That's up and working just fine, but coincendentally now my computer can't get on my wireless network. My laptop (that I'm using now) works fine but I can't get my desktop on my wirless network. It can see the network but when I click on connect, it just says "Aquiring Network Address" and never connects.

I went to the local computer store and the guy told me that that network adapter and my desktop probably have the same IP address but I don't know how to fix that, plus I'm not sure that is right since I unplugged the network adapter and tried to get online with my desktop and it still didn't do it.

I think it would be too big of a coincedence that it goes down the day I put the DTV online for the cause to be something else.

Any thoughts?

i am sure you did this, but have you tried unplugging the router for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in? that is always my first step

Ok I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but I'm lost on this one. I just hooked up my DTV DVR to the internet using a wireless adapter, which I needed to do for DTV On Demand. That's up and working just fine, but coincendentally now my computer can't get on my wireless network. My laptop (that I'm using now) works fine but I can't get my desktop on my wirless network. It can see the network but when I click on connect, it just says "Aquiring Network Address" and never connects.

I went to the local computer store and the guy told me that that network adapter and my desktop probably have the same IP address but I don't know how to fix that, plus I'm not sure that is right since I unplugged the network adapter and tried to get online with my desktop and it still didn't do it.

I think it would be too big of a coincedence that it goes down the day I put the DTV online for the cause to be something else.

Any thoughts?

i am sure you did this, but have you tried unplugging the router for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in? that is always my first step

Yup tried that, tried restarting my computer, all sorts of stuff

This is what I'd try.

Turn off everything - the TV/DVR's wireless adapter, PCs, modems, everything - women included - this could get ugly.

Reboot the router.

Make certain you've got DCHP selected and log in your desktop.

Turn on the TV/DVR's wireless adapter.

Don't turn the TV/DVR on until you've been successful with getting your desktop to log in.

This is what I'd try.

Turn off everything - the TV/DVR's wireless adapter, PCs, modems, everything - women included - this could get ugly.

Reboot the router.

Make certain you've got DCHP selected and log in your desktop.

Turn on the TV/DVR's wireless adapter.

Don't turn the TV/DVR on until you've been successful with getting your desktop to log in.

OK, I'll try this one thing. How do I make sure I've got DCHP selected?

OK, I'll try this one thing. How do I make sure I've got DCHP selected?

Have you tried disconnected the DirecTV receiver to see if your PC starts working?

For DHCP, if you have Windows XP, you'd select Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Network Connections-->(your network connection - whatever it's called). Then highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)," click properties, and make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

Have you tried disconnected the DirecTV receiver to see if your PC starts working?

For DHCP, if you have Windows XP, you'd select Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Network Connections-->(your network connection - whatever it's called). Then highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)," click properties, and make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

If you do the above, and still have issues, your router's firmware might need to be updated. Some of the older models have trouble with multiple connections, for some reason. Try calling the router's tech support. They should walk you through the process and re-flash the router, if it needs it.

Yeah I shutting off the wireless adapter and dtv receiver and it still didn't work. that's what's making me think something is up....

Here's a problem I'm having that I've never seen before: Anytime I am browsing the internet, and I click a new link and a new tab opens on my browser, the page cannot load. Yet if I copy the link and open it in my original browser tab it opens right up! WTF is going on? Are there individual ports for each browser tab?

OBTW, everyone else in my family complains the internet is slow as schitt on their computers. (They use wireless, I'm wired.) I just installed a new router and called Comcast and asked them to ping me. They see no issues and the same crap is happening with the new router in place. Any ideas?

PTR

Here's a problem I'm having that I've never seen before: Anytime I am browsing the internet, and I click a new link and a new tab opens on my browser, the page cannot load. Yet if I copy the link and open it in my original browser tab it opens right up! WTF is going on? Are there individual ports for each browser tab?

OBTW, everyone else in my family complains the internet is slow as schitt on their computers. (They use wireless, I'm wired.) I just installed a new router and called Comcast and asked them to ping me. They see no issues and the same crap is happening with the new router in place. Any ideas?

PTR

That's an application issue, not a network issue. Reintsall your OS.

Are you comfortable managing your router's settings? Usually this can be done through the web by going 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1 depending on your browser (it may be a different address as well).

There's always the chance that your DHCP server has limited the number of clients.

If you cannot see anything wrong in your router's settings, consider resetting the router's settings either through that management interface or by holding down the reset button. Your manual should tell you how to do this (often there is a pin-sized hole that you hold down with a paper clip to do this).

Borrowing another wireless router may be a good idea so that you can isolate the cause of the issue.

Why would does he have to reinstall his OS? He has not even said which browser he is using.

Because that sort of issue sounds like malware is breaking something and the only real way to clear malware is a reinstall.

What does that entail? :thumbsup: Do I have to wipe my computer?

Yup -- but it shouldn't be a big deal because you DO have backups of all of your data, right...? Reinstalling applications is easy, it's the data that's important.

I'll throw a plug for Windows Home Server as well (yeah, I know - me recommending an MS product?!) It sits on your network and automatically backs up your PCs. If you lose a drive (or want o reinstall), just pop in the recovery DVD (which boots enough for the PC to find the server), wait 20 minutes, and your OS is rebuilt to the date of the backup. I make a master backup after the first install so I can always go back quickly.

There are WHS appliances by HP and Asus as well if you don't want to bother installing the server yourself.

Any thoughts?

First thought is to try something easy on the desktop. Release and Renew your IP address. It's explained here. Sometimes it's that easy.

If not, my next question would be how is your wireless router set up? Make sure you can have 3 or more machines online at one time.

PTR

What browser are you using? Did this problem just start or has it always behaved like this? Did you just upgrade your browser?

What browser are you using? Did this problem just start or has it always behaved like this? Did you just upgrade your browser?

Used Firefox. Then tried IE to see if it would fix the problem, then tried Opera. I must point out that this issue is intermittent. Not happening right now. Computers.... :thumbsup:

PTR