Anyone own a Mazda3?

SDS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup:

Good one. But nothing could be further from the truth. Certainly not with respect to the older higher end Citroens, like the DS. Unfortunately, I don't think Citroen is the innovative company they once were, but some of the new models have a nice look.

Funny commercials, anyway...

The new DS3 (available Nov. '09) looks pretty nice...

link

Wonder if they still have all that hydraulic schitt?

The DS model (I had the DS21) had a hydraulic suspension. The car would almost touch the ground if it had been sitting (not running) overnight. When you start it, it slowly rises to the proper driving height. You could adjust that height, raising it a little to go over very bad road, or raise it way up to change a tire. The car lifted itself up, and then you set it back down on a stand.

The DS had gas spheres, located above each wheel:

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible_pg2.html

Once driving in SoCal on a busy highway, the car in front of me swerved to another lane, leaving me to hit a good sized wooden pallet at about 60 MPH. I figured I was in big trouble. I barely felt a thing.

What a memorable car that was. The curved steering wheel post, the brake button, etc. I recall seeing a picture with one wheel raised to change the tire.

You might enjoy this, Dean...a test of the 1970 Citroen SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K_CyD0qw1A

What a memorable car that was. The curved steering wheel post, the brake button, etc. I recall seeing a picture with one wheel raised to change the tire.

You might enjoy this, Dean...a test of the 1970 Citroen SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K_CyD0qw1A

I did enjoy that, thanks. The SM was the "Maserati" used in the opening scene of the original (Burt Reynolds) The Longest Yard.

I drove one of those, before buying the DS. Carlos Santana had an SM and a DS (configured as a limo, I believe). We went to the same mechanic.

I had the opportunity to buy a SM in great shape, just a few years ago. The guy wanted $15,000. But I didn't have the cash, and the maintenance on them is outrageous, now that the parts are so hard to get. Also a certified Citroen mechanic is nearly impossible to find, outside of big metro areas (and even in the big cities, nowadays).

I did enjoy that, thanks. The SM was the "Maserati" used in the opening scene of the original (Burt Reynolds) The Longest Yard.

I drove one of those, before buying the DS. Carlos Santana had an SM and a DS (configured as a limo, I believe). We went to the same mechanic.

I had the opportunity to buy a SM in great shape, just a few years ago. The guy wanted $15,000. But I didn't have the cash, and the maintenance on them is outrageous, now that the parts are so hard to get. Also a certified Citroen mechanic is nearly impossible to find, outside of big metro areas (and even in the big cities, nowadays).

I looked it up - the SM was styled in-house by Citroen.

What a fine job...I always thought it was a work of one of the Italian studios - Ghia, Pininfarina, Bertone, Guiagaro, Innocenti and the like.

Italians have the great gift when it comes to auto styling. Many a mainstream vehicle have had their touch.

Boss, I picked up a 2.3s sedan when they first launched back in '04, great car, I really liked it!! Thing handled well, acceleration was good, same with fuel mileage. Only problem, was driving over 65 mph, the thing sucked up gas.

I sold it back in march to buy another Japanese made vehicle. :o

I just a need a commuter car to get me to work/hockey and the kids to school. The wife already has a nice to car for us to drive if needed and we have a mini-van for trips and moving lots of people. I don't want to put long term miles on the van because I never want to buy another one, although I can drive it short term for quite awhile if necessary...

It seems like the Mazda3 5-door is fairly good car that is funnish to drive and gets reasonable gas mileage. It would certainly be a step up from my deceased Malibu...

Any thoughts?

I have the 6, almost 4 years now. I went for the larger model because you can get 4 sets of clubs in the trunk. :o

Talked a friend into getting his wife the 3, and she loves it. Nice sporty car and the gas mileage is is good. The only complaint I have about mine is that it's not so great getting out of snow (low frame). Other than that, am very happy with my Mazda.