Offensive Line Analysis

Phil03

Hey guys,

I wrote an analysis of the Bills offensive line as I did last year for my website: http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/2009_OLi...ffalo_bills.htm

Also I'm not sure if you guys are as excited about this line as I am but I love everything I read about it. Last season here is what I said to summarize the Falcons, Chiefs, Dolphins and Panthers offensive lines:

"Many injuries last season, new young guys, cannot be worse."

"2 starters returning, 3 have never played an NFL game."

"2 starters returning, added 2 good run blockers in Long and Smiley."

"Only 2 starters returning and both changing positions."

That sounds a lot like the situation the Bills are in this season and all four of those lines showed great improvement.

Feel free to post any comments, suggestions or corrections I should make to my article.

Thanks,

Phil

Hey guys,

I wrote an analysis of the Redskins offensive line as I did last year for my website: http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/2009_OLi...ffalo_bills.htm

Also I'm not sure if you guys are as excited about this line as I am but I love everything I read about it. Last season here is what I said to summarize the Falcons, Chiefs, Dolphins and Panthers offensive lines:

That sounds a lot like the situation the Bills are in this season and all four of those lines showed great improvement.

Feel free to post any comments, suggestions or corrections I should make to my article.

Thanks,

Phil

Right now I would call it cautious optimism.

I would call it a big gamble ... on paper the interior is vastly improved but the edges are much worse.

In the land of hope, any change is deemed an improvement. But the facts and probablity says they will suck big time. With virtually 5 new starters including 2 rookies and a stiff pretending to be a LT, coupled with a coaching staff with no successful track record, Edwards will be seeing a lot of stars both in his mind and in the sky.

The ownership has let us down again.

Hey guys,

I wrote an analysis of the Redskins offensive line as I did last year for my website: http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/2009_OLi...ffalo_bills.htm

Thanks,

Phil

IMHO, the middle of the line is going to be very strong this year. Hangartner would have started on the majority of NFL teams last year. He has started half of his 54 games in the NFL. The 2 rookie guards are going to be really, really good. Look what Green Bay did a few years ago when they started 2 rookie guards---Ryan Grant had a breakout year and GB's line was one of the top run blocking lines in the NFL...and those guys weren't even high picks...I believe a 2nd and a 4th rounder...

Anyways, I don't buy that just because 2 guys are rookies that they are gonna suck. There is no basis for someone to say that rookie guards cannot play a very important role on a teams OLine success...at the very least, the 3 inside players are major upgrades over the previous years line...

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Phil

Good info on your site. The line should be better this year, with the infusion of the younger & stronger road graders. But the inexperience all across the line will make things difficult. The biggest x factor could be Hangartner, if he can help those two kids lining up next to him recognize the line-calls and keep the mistakes to a minimum. And oh by the way, who the hell is Hangartner, anyway? Maybe he can do a reasonable impression of Kent Hull. Hull came out of nowhere - (the USFL) along with super-star Kelly 1986, and the guy was the rock of those great lines for the next 11 seasons. Check that....I just woke up. In reality, I'll settle for Hangartner to be the "rock" of this mystery line for one season, the one we know T.O. will be catching passes as a Bill, pulling the double teams off of Evans.

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Phil

I enjoyed reading that - thanks.

IMHO, the middle of the line is going to be very strong this year. Hangartner would have started on the majority of NFL teams last year. He has started half of his 54 games in the NFL. The 2 rookie guards are going to be really, really good. Look what Green Bay did a few years ago when they started 2 rookie guards---Ryan Grant had a breakout year and GB's line was one of the top run blocking lines in the NFL...and those guys weren't even high picks...I believe a 2nd and a 4th rounder...

Anyways, I don't buy that just because 2 guys are rookies that they are gonna suck. There is no basis for someone to say that rookie guards cannot play a very important role on a teams OLine success...at the very least, the 3 inside players are major upgrades over the previous years line...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm glad you brought up Green Bay's two starting rookie guards from a few years ago. People seem to forget what the Packers accomplished with them.

Good info on your site. The line should be better this year, with the infusion of the younger & stronger road graders. But the inexperience all across the line will make things difficult. The biggest x factor could be Hangartner, if he can help those two kids lining up next to him recognize the line-calls and keep the mistakes to a minimum. And oh by the way, who the hell is Hangartner, anyway? Maybe he can do a reasonable impression of Kent Hull. Hull came out of nowhere - (the USFL) along with super-star Kelly 1986, and the guy was the rock of those great lines for the next 11 seasons. Check that....I just woke up. In reality, I'll settle for Hangartner to be the "rock" of this mystery line for one season, the one we know T.O. will be catching passes as a Bill, pulling the double teams off of Evans.

And hopefully Wood will be our new Jim Ritcher. Possibly even better in time.

As a contrast to those eternal optimistic homers, here’s 2 fantasy sites which are not quite as high on the Bills OL.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/article....=428&page=2

#31 Buffalo Bills Rush Yards Per Game Rank Yards Per Game Pass Protection Rank Sacks Allowed Pass vs Run %

Projected Starters #14 115.1 #22 38 54 - 46

LT- Langston Walker LG- Kirk Chambers C- Geoff Hangartner RG- Eric Wood RT- Brad Butler FB- Corey McIntyre

Buffalo gave up 38 sacks last season and then dealt away Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters to Philadelphia in a pre-draft trade. Buffalo's offensive line is trending downwards, which could be bad news for fantasy stars RB Marshawn Lynch and WR Terrell Owens. Buffalo will be looking to rebuild its offensive line around its 1st round selection C Eric Wood out of Louisville. The bottom-line is that on paper Buffalo's offensive line appears to have taken a major step back from a season ago; fantasy owners should approach with caution.

http://footballguys.com/free.php

In their pre-season analysis, Footballguys.com gives the Bills OL an F and has them #32.

See the rankings at pg 40 and the Bills write-up at pg 36. They will do an update in August.

all i know is that annoying made up statistic "biggest offensive line in football" wont be shoved down my through every 15minutes by the announcers every time marshawn rips off a decent run.

they sucked last year. yes they were big but they were soft and weak. give me 5 smaller agile angry mean guys with something to prove any day

Hey guys,

Thanks,

Phil

Nice writeup but you have Wood and Levitre on the wrong sides. Wood will be the right guard and Levitre the left guard; Link

I would call it a big gamble ... on paper the interior is vastly improved but the edges are much worse.

I think Butler is an upgrade at RT and Walker can't be much worse at pass protection than Peters was last year.

In the land of hope, any change is deemed an improvement. But the facts and probablity says they will suck big time. With virtually 5 new starters including 2 rookies and a stiff pretending to be a LT, coupled with a coaching staff with no successful track record, Edwards will be seeing a lot of stars both in his mind and in the sky.

The ownership has let us down again.

Link Just because they have new starters doesn't mean they'll suck from the get-go. They will get better as they play more together but it doesn't mean that starting out they'll suck.

:thumbsup: What he said.

The addition of TO also helps the line. Teams won't be able to put eight men in the box with TO and Evans on the field. They will always have to account for those guys. That alone should help the line. JMO

As a contrast to those eternal optimistic homers, here’s 2 fantasy sites which are not quite as high on the Bills OL.

#31 Buffalo Bills Rush Yards Per Game Rank Yards Per Game Pass Protection Rank Sacks Allowed Pass vs Run %

LT- Langston Walker LG- Kirk Chambers C- Geoff Hangartner RG- Eric Wood RT- Brad Butler FB- Corey McIntyre

Buffalo gave up 38 sacks last season and then dealt away Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters to Philadelphia in a pre-draft trade. Buffalo's offensive line is trending downwards, which could be bad news for fantasy stars RB Marshawn Lynch and WR Terrell Owens. Buffalo will be looking to rebuild its offensive line around its 1st round selection C Eric Wood out of Louisville. The bottom-line is that on paper Buffalo's offensive line appears to have taken a major step back from a season ago; fantasy owners should approach with caution.

In their pre-season analysis, Footballguys.com gives the Bills OL an F and has them #32.

See the rankings at pg 40 and the Bills write-up at pg 36. They will do an update in August.

:thumbsup: They are ranked low because they are an unknown commodity right now. That's the only reason.

The article is good but still has a lot of "wait and sees"

I think that we will be good in the interior of our OL this year with the potential to be VERY good the following year.......I think that Butler will be just fine and that Langston is a stop gap at that position......barring resigning Peters there simply was no viable replacements this year.

The article is good but still has a lot of "wait and sees"

I think that we will be good in the interior of our OL this year with the potential to be VERY good the following year.......I think that Butler will be just fine and that Langston is a stop gap at that position......barring resigning Peters there simply was no viable replacements this year.

the front office has no vision

the answer at LT was in the 2008 draft when they should have taken a real LT prospect since they knew at the draft that Peters would be a contract problem.

Clady or Albert would have given them the flexibility to play hardball with Peters - instead the Bills screwed themselves/

I can't find their rankings from last year but I'm sure those 2 sites also had Carolina, Chicago, Atlanta and Kansas City in their bottom 10. I'm really trying to learn from the mistakes I made last year in my rankings and I see huge similarities between those 4 lines last year and the Bills line this year.

At first look this line took a big step back, no Peters and no Dockery but neither of those guys played well last year and people forget about the huge upgrade at center.