Vince Carter Traded To Orlando

H2o

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-nba...15500730000101/

VC is no spring chicken, but he can still be effective. This could possibly be Orlando's starting lineup next year: Nelson, Carter, Turkgolu, Lewis, and Howard. That's as good as any 5 that any other team could put on the floor.

It's a big move, especially if they can keep Turk. It's great and all, but I hate seeing Lee go. I think he's going to be a very solid player. But Carter does give the Magic the best shot at a championship over the next two (maybe 3) years.

It's a big move, especially if they can keep Turk. It's great and all, but I hate seeing Lee go. I think he's going to be a very solid player. But Carter does give the Magic the best shot at a championship over the next two (maybe 3) years.

I am not a huge Carter fan, but he could help the Magic some...but that seems like a lot to give up, doesn't it?

I am not a huge Carter fan, but he could help the Magic some...but that seems like a lot to give up, doesn't it?

Well, you have to figure that they wanted to move Alston anyway. He was only there to cover for Nelson when he got hurt, and they couldn't afford both of them. Battie is a solid vet, but he was scheduled to make over 6 mil this season, and with the rest of the crew it was just too much. He didn't get much playing time anyway.

Like I said, I hate seeing Lee go, and it's worse seeing him go for a guy that is only going to be around a couple more years. The deal give the Magic one hell of an offensive line-up (I know Vince's game has declined some, but he's still an impact player and will be HAPPY to be playing in Orlando), but it's going to be a hit on an already sketchy defense.

I don't know, I'm torn.

Well, you have to figure that they wanted to move Alston anyway. He was only there to cover for Nelson when he got hurt, and they couldn't afford both of them. Battie is a solid vet, but he was scheduled to make over 6 mil this season, and with the rest of the crew it was just too much. He didn't get much playing time anyway.

Like I said, I hate seeing Lee go, and it's worse seeing him go for a guy that is only going to be around a couple more years. The deal give the Magic one hell of an offensive line-up (I know Vince's game has declined some, but he's still an impact player and will be HAPPY to be playing in Orlando), but it's going to be a hit on an already sketchy defense.

I don't know, I'm torn.

Yes, Lee is the value here...I am just not sold that Carter is that big a difference maker for the Magic. I don't really know all the salary ramifications for either team, but Carter just doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to me. I like Lee an awful lot...Battie too, for what he does...Alston is the only guy on the Magic I don't really like a lot...always been kind of a punk.

From what I heard, they made the trade because they don't think they are going to be able to re-sign turkoglu

I've seen that a few times, but IMO it's a worse trade if Hedo leaves. It's okay to bring in Carter to "put them over the top" and make an all out run at the championship, but Carter isn't going to replace Turk. Turk just fit too perfectly into his role. Losing Turk AND Lee and getting Carter doesn't make sense to me.

I've seen that a few times, but IMO it's a worse trade if Hedo leaves. It's okay to bring in Carter to "put them over the top" and make an all out run at the championship, but Carter isn't going to replace Turk. Turk just fit too perfectly into his role. Losing Turk AND Lee and getting Carter doesn't make sense to me.

Reports down here are that the Magic made an offer to Turk, and he turned it down(not enough money), so the Magic pulled the trigger on this trade. I personally don't like it because Lee had to be included in the deal. The other two were expiring contracts that the Magic were looking to move to make room for signing Turk.

IMO, this trade kind of gives the Magic some leverage in negotiations with Turk. He absolutely wants to stay in Orlando, but he had all the leverage before this trade....maybe his asking price will go down to come back to such a stacked team.

The trade only looks good if Turk is signed, or at the worst, sign-and-traded.

Funny thing is the Magic only have 8 players under contract and they are over the luxury tax already. The owner says he is willing to go over the tax to win a championship in the next few years(aging owner going all-out to win....insert Ralph Wilson comment here)....plus, they are expecting huge revenues from the new Arena that opens in 2010.

Reports down here are that the Magic made an offer to Turk, and he turned it down(not enough money), so the Magic pulled the trigger on this trade. I personally don't like it because Lee had to be included in the deal. The other two were expiring contracts that the Magic were looking to move to make room for signing Turk.

IMO, this trade kind of gives the Magic some leverage in negotiations with Turk. He absolutely wants to stay in Orlando, but he had all the leverage before this trade....maybe his asking price will go down to come back to such a stacked team.

The trade only looks good if Turk is signed, or at the worst, sign-and-traded.

I didn't realize until I read it today that VC is worth 16mil this year! I don't see any way the Magic take that contract and still pony up another 9+ mil for Turk. I think he's gone. Hopefully the sign and trade happens though. I'm also hoping that they can keep Gortat around. He came into his own in the playoffs and can really help the team off the bench. I'd like to see him stay.

While I still don't like giving up Turk and Lee, the more I think about it the less anxious I get. A starting lineup of Howard-Carter-Nelson-Lewis-Pietrus is a damn tough team. And there's nothing saying that Anderson can't be a helpful piece. I don't know much about him, but what I've read seems to indicate he's a big dude that can shoot the 3, so he'll fit into the rotation. I think if Carter was 29, I'd love everything about it. As it is, I'm up in the air. But whatever happens long term, I think the team is set up to fight for the championship again.