Peppers is off the block.....

SKOOBY

He signed a $16.7 M / one year deal today, wow.

http://sports.mobile.msn.com/en-us/n...&am...id=2&afid=5

Julius Peppers' stalemate with the Carolina Panthers is over, leaving the defensive end rich and the NFC South champions free from worrying about a holdout.

Peppers signed his one-year, $16.7 million tender on Wednesday, five months after the four-time Pro Bowl selection first announced he wanted to play elsewhere next season. It means Peppers, Carolina's all-time sacks leader, should be present for the start of training camp.

I doubt they want him eating up $16.7 million in cap room, but who knows. They just gave Delhomme like $40+ million. I'd say they're definitely trying to move him now, but who's truly interested?

There were rumors earlier in the offseason that the Pats* wanted him, since they need a pass rusher, with the potential that he move to OLB. May still be some life to that, since if you look at their roster, they really are pretty thin at LB generally. If something were to happen to Mayo or Thomas (their only two decent LBs, and one of them being 32 years old), their D could really reek this year, considering the state of their secondary behind those LBs. Their D-line is solid, but there are definitely chinks in the rest of the armor.....

He's off the block. Nobody will want to pay that money, especially knowing that he'll likely be available in another year as a UFA (how much does the franchise tag go up? 20%?)

A trade would likely mean a new contract from the new team. The franchise tender numbers is irrelevant except to the Carolina Panthers.

Peppers was never on the block. The Panthers realized that he was too instrumental to the success of their defense. A 4-3 requires the defensive ends to create a majority of the pass rush. Peppers is still one of the top ten guys at his position and is at an age where he still has a good amount of years left in the tank.

Another reason why Peppers wasn't going to be traded the Panthers weren't going to get equal value for him either. No team was going to give up a first round pick for him post draft. They gave up big money for one year just to solve the problem for one year. I also believe that they will sign him to an extension during the season to avoid him going on the open market in an uncapped year.

He won't see Haynesworth kind of money but he will get 12 to 14 million a year.

I know it's not even a question of possibility, but, imagine how nice our D-line would look like with a Peppers on one side, and a Schoebel on the other - 16 million would change the look of our Defense and how we were viewed by about ten spots on the ranking list, I'd say. Still, I can't imagine any owner wanting to fork over that much money for a player; except, maybe if their fortune was going to be worthless to them in a few short years...

I know it's not even a question of possibility, but, imagine how nice our D-line would look like with a Peppers on one side, and a Schoebel on the other - 16 million would change the look of our Defense and how we were viewed by about ten spots on the ranking list, I'd say. Still, I can't imagine any owner wanting to fork over that much money for a player; except, maybe if their fortune was going to be worthless to them in a few short years...

Its not the 16 million, I think its the minimum first round pick you would have to give up in addition to the money. If we were to give up next years pick and give out a 14 million dollar a year contract at a position were we just drafted a player 11th overall there would be people on this board moaning and groaning about it.

Its not the 16 million, I think its the minimum first round pick you would have to give up in addition to the money. If we were to give up next years pick and give out a 14 million dollar a year contract at a position were we just drafted a player 11th overall there would be people on this board moaning and groaning about it.

It's the money, $16.7 M for one guy is silly and just not a realistic move. We didn't even want to save our own disgruntled project so why would we take on someone else's at such a high cost?