"I can't believe, what I just saw"

Lv-Bills

I'm a little miffed here as I listened to sports radio the other day in VA. We have a guy who tries his hardest to cram baseball talk down everyone's throat, even though for the most part, there is absolutely no interest in talking about it. Until the other day. I forgot to ask everyone here what they thought.

So, this local hack was talking about Jack Buck and how great his broadcasting was when he was with us. OK, I can handle that. Then, he tries as hard as he can to make the 88 series where Gibson homers to be one of Buck's biggest moments ever when he simply exclaimed....."I can't believe what I just saw". OK, great. It was truly a great moment and a great call by Buck.

Then, this local hack is talking and talking and talking about how great it was to hear that call as it happened, and glorious of a moment it is to share it with Buck. Then, every caller who called in, almost to a man, is agreeing and saying the same thing, and how great they thought the call was when it happened.

So correct me if I'm wrong here. In 1988, most people had TV sets. Color TV in fact. And most people were watching that game on TV. I know I did, as did everyone else that I know. We all still remember the call from the game too. Only it went something like this. "High fly ball, deep to right, SHE IS GONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE" by Vin Scully. Scully was NBC's announcer along with Joe G. One of the greatest broadcasting combos ever. Buck was doing the game on radio.

I remember going to school the next day and everyone imitating Vin. EVERYONE. Now, all of a sudden, it seems the whole nation heard Jack Buck. I guess at some point more people were listening to the radio than watching the TV.

I call BOGUS. I think most of the people calling were all trying to act like they know baseball and going along with hearing Buck's call. Hell, a couple of them even said I remember watching the game, hearing Buck's call, which would be impossible, because Buck was doing radio.

Bottom line: A lot of people are fake.

lol. No biggie, just a little something different than football.

which local hack are you talking about?

I'm a little miffed here as I listened to sports radio the other day in VA. We have a guy who tries his hardest to cram baseball talk down everyone's throat, even though for the most part, there is absolutely no interest in talking about it. Until the other day. I forgot to ask everyone here what they thought.

So, this local hack was talking about Jack Buck and how great his broadcasting was when he was with us. OK, I can handle that. Then, he tries as hard as he can to make the 88 series where Gibson homers to be one of Buck's biggest moments ever when he simply exclaimed....."I can't believe what I just saw". OK, great. It was truly a great moment and a great call by Buck.

Then, this local hack is talking and talking and talking about how great it was to hear that call as it happened, and glorious of a moment it is to share it with Buck. Then, every caller who called in, almost to a man, is agreeing and saying the same thing, and how great they thought the call was when it happened.

So correct me if I'm wrong here. In 1988, most people had TV sets. Color TV in fact. And most people were watching that game on TV. I know I did, as did everyone else that I know. We all still remember the call from the game too. Only it went something like this. "High fly ball, deep to right, SHE IS GONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE" by Vin Scully. Scully was NBC's announcer along with Joe G. One of the greatest broadcasting combos ever.

I remember going to school the next day and everyone imitating Vin. EVERYONE. Now, all of a sudden, it seems the whole nation heard Jack Buck. I guess at some point more people were listening to the radio than watching the TV.

I call BOGUS. I think most of the people calling were all trying to act like they know baseball and going along with hearing Buck's call. Hell, a couple of them even said I remember watching the game, hearing Buck's call.

I agree, and I'd include Joe Buck as one of them. He thinks because his father was a great broadcaster that he is too. I'll never forget the most arrogant interview with Joe a few years ago, when he told a story about him being out one night and meeting a woman. He was going on about how the woman had never heard of him, and how apauled he was, and how the woman must have been so embarrassed. Wow, what a douche. Every time I hear him or see him I notice more and more how cool he thinks he is.

That doesn't really relate to your story, only that I think people give Joe Buck more credit than he deserves just because people hear other people talk about him so much, so therefore he must be great. Its annoying.

which local hack are you talking about?

It was the Mike Mansicalco (sp?), the former Richmond area broadcaster, who has since moved on to Raleigh to help broadcasts with the Carolina Hurricanes. I have no idea who the local guy here is now. This is the first time I've listened to local talk radio in about a year. I rarely stray from Sirius/XM to local radio in my car.

But Mike was back as a guest, and I was trying to get a UVA College World Series report. It was awful, and I'm glad I don't have to hear the crap anymore.

i liked him, and being a buffalo guy is a plus as well....something McElroy is the guy now, he is ok, but richmond sports isnt much to listen to anyhow....

similar topic, if you haven't already done so, Big Al has a sports bar out by innsbrook, it is smoke free and it is a great place....can't stand him on air, but he knows how to run a bar...aka...his customer service skills are top notch...i have sworn off Sports Page, due to their lack of customer service, and am happy to make the 20 minute drive to the west end to patronize big al...give him a shot if you are in the market for a good sports bar

It was the Mike Mansicalco (sp?), the former Richmond area broadcaster, who has since moved on to Raleigh to help broadcasts with the Carolina Hurricanes. I have no idea who the local guy here is now. This is the first time I've listened to local talk radio in about a year. I rarely stray from Sirius/XM to local radio in my car.

But Mike was back as a guest, and I was trying to get a UVA College World Series report. It was awful, and I'm glad I don't have to hear the crap anymore.

So correct me if I'm wrong here. In 1988, most people had TV sets. Color TV in fact. And most people were watching that game on TV. I know I did, as did everyone else that I know. We all still remember the call from the game too. Only it went something like this. "High fly ball, deep to right, SHE IS GONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE" by Vin Scully. Scully was NBC's announcer along with Joe G. One of the greatest broadcasting combos ever. Buck was doing the game on radio.

I call BOGUS. I think most of the people calling were all trying to act like they know baseball and going along with hearing Buck's call. Hell, a couple of them even said I remember watching the game, hearing Buck's call, which would be impossible, because Buck was doing radio.

Jack Buck was the fuggin man; don't know what that has to do with your post but I just wanted to throw that out there. I miss him and Mike Shannon doing the Cards games :rolleyes:. JB was a total class act and the poem he read after 911 right before he died was one of the most classy and touching things I've ever seen.......

. Hey, are the Richmond Renegades still around? I grew up in Midlo....in Brandermill. Used to go to the coliseum all the time as a kid and watch Scott Gruel and my Richmond Renegades, those were the days.

i liked him, and being a buffalo guy is a plus as well....something McElroy is the guy now, he is ok, but richmond sports isnt much to listen to anyhow....

similar topic, if you haven't already done so, Big Al has a sports bar out by innsbrook, it is smoke free and it is a great place....can't stand him on air, but he knows how to run a bar...aka...his customer service skills are top notch...i have sworn off Sports Page, due to their lack of customer service, and am happy to make the 20 minute drive to the west end to patronize big al...give him a shot if you are in the market for a good sports bar

Cool, I'll have to try that out. Big Al is definitely a southern windbag on the air. If you were driving down 95 from outta state, I could definitely see a "yankee" thinking to himself, oh my god....lol

That being said, I can see Big Al running a great sports bar. I'm gonna have to try it out.

Jack Buck was the fuggin man; don't know what that has to do with your post but I just wanted to throw that out there. I miss him and Mike Shannon doing the Cards games :thumbsup:. JB was a total class act and the poem he read after 911 right before he died was one of the most classy and touching things I've ever seen.......
. Hey, are the Richmond Renegades still around? I grew up in Midlo....in Brandermill. Used to go to the coliseum all the time as a kid and watch Scott Gruel and my Richmond Renegades, those were the days.

Cool. I live three miles from Brandermill across the lake from Woodlake. Little subdivision called Lakepointe. Man, if you would see what Hull Street looks like out there now, it would blow your mind. Many fancy things going in right across the road from Woodlake. Lots of good restaurants being built as we speak. The growth is annoying, but we are going to have some really cool choices soon.

Anyway, the Gades are gone. Funny thing is though, originally being from Pittsburgh, I'm a huge Penguins fan. My wife teaches with another lady whose family is also from Pittsburgh. They came over for a Game Seven party for the Stanley Cup playoffs. We were outside grilling, and he said his son plays travel hockey here in town. He also said his coach was Scott Gruel, or I'm almost 95% sure that's what he said. He said he's a great coach and man and his son is lucky to play for him.

:rolleyes:

The best was Vin Scully's broadcast. He let the crowd tell the story. From Wiki:

"High fly ball into right field, she i-i-i-is... gone!!

(67 seconds of cheering)

The master

Was gonna say the same thing. I'll take Scully over Buck any day. People don't like him for talking too much between pitches, but he never overhypes the big moments.

Another one that comes to mind was Game 6 in '86. Scully's game ending call was finished before Knight even reached home and he didn't say a word for several minutes.