Have any of you ever been to Banff?

BuffaloBill

Wife and I are headed up in a few weeks for some much needed R&R (and to get away from 100+ degee heat in big D). We have never been so any and all input on what to see or do is much appreciated. Staying at the Fairmont so plenty of activities and dining immediately available. At the same time not sure what to expect.

Wife and I are headed up in a few weeks for some much needed R&R (and to get away from 100+ degee heat in big D). We have never been so any and all input on what to see or do is much appreciated. Staying at the Fairmont so plenty of activities and dining immediately available. At the same time not sure what to expect.

Arguably one of the most beautiful places in North America.

I'd suggest a day hiking around on the Athabasca Glacier (bring sunglasses). Forget the sno-coaches, do it on foot to really appreciate it and enjoy the chill.....

Also a trip up to Lake Louise is nice. Make sure you jump in to freak out the tourists. :rolleyes:

And spend a day up in Jasper too. It's a few hours North but it's a cool place. I'd suggest a cheap room up there for one night so you can drive back the following day whenever you want.

Get out and hike. Otherwise there isnt much to do, right?

Intoxicating scenery, sunrises and sunsets. You can be captivated for hours on end. You need not lift a leg nor finger to have your breath taken away.

A retreat from the incessant buzz.

Peaceful. Healing.

Yes... Done some skiing there years back... Sunshine, Louise, and I think back then the other was Mt. Norquay.

Also took our honeymoon there (in late May/June)... Then through BC back to the coast via Kelowna, Kamloops, Vancouver, Victoria, and Seattle.

That area (Banff) and this time of the year (May/June) is great... I liked just further north @ Jasper and the Maligne mountains... I think there is boat you can take on Lake Maligne?? Or am I getting that mixed up with somewhere else??... I forget. Take in the ice fields at the Athabasca glacier... Supposedly it is one of the steepest roads in the world... They take you up it in huge bus type machine...

Anthabasca Glacier

Of course Lake Louise is world famous!

Arguably one of the most beautiful places in North America.

I'd suggest a day hiking around on the Athabasca Glacier (bring sunglasses). Forget the sno-coaches, do it on foot to really appreciate it and enjoy the chill.....

Also a trip up to Lake Louise is nice. Make sure you jump in to freak out the tourists. :rolleyes:

And spend a day up in Jasper too. It's a few hours North but it's a cool place. I'd suggest a cheap room up there for one night so you can drive back the following day whenever you want.

And you promote lawn chairs! I am coming for your membership card!

:lol::wacko:

One of the few topics on this board I can offer input on. Been there 3x. Go,by all means go. Stunning scenery. But get off the road-speed limit 100 K/H and by golly they are going to do it. If you have any interest in paleontology the Burgesss shales are near by[possibly the worlds best source of 550 million year old fossils].

One of the few topics on this board I can offer input on. Been there 3x. Go,by all means go. Stunning scenery. But get off the road-speed limit 100 K/H and by golly they are going to do it. If you have any interest in paleontology the Burgesss shales are near by[possibly the worlds best source of 550 million year old fossils].

What is the blue part above supposed to mean? Speeding? My friend (mainly my brother's friend) got a speeding ticket going to Lake Louise (skiing) on Monday... He used his real name and license... Then going to Sunshine (we were staying in Banff) on Thursday he got another speeding ticket by the same cop... Same rental car (late 1980's Ford Tempo)... On the second ticket he used his older brother's name and said he forgot his license! Bold I know!... This is the same guy who jumped the fence at Rich to see if he could get in, even know he had a game ticket. He got caught that time and had to get bailed out of the OP police station. I digress, back to the AB Mountie... The cop said: "You look familiar." :rolleyes::wacko: I even took a picture close-up of the two tickets afterwards as proof... Till this day, I don't think he has ever paid the tickets... He is married now and probably will get arrested at the bridge in Fort Erie with his wife and children... But that was over 20 years ago...

So... Either the cop:

1. Was stupid

2. Gave out so many tickets along that stretch that he forgot who was who.

3. Just cut us some slack.

I don't know which one it was.

Thanks for the insights. I am really looking forward to this trip. This is a place I have always wanted to get to. I just hope it lives up to my lofty expectations. If nothing else t will be great to get out of the heat and nice to go somewhere that I have a chance to see stars again (an not the @#%$! Dallas Stars).

Thanks for the insights. I am really looking forward to this trip. This is a place I have always wanted to get to. I just hope it lives up to my lofty expectations. If nothing else t will be great to get out of the heat and nice to go somewhere that I have a chance to see stars again (an not the @#%$! Dallas Stars).

Oh... You gotta visit or stay in the Banff Springs Hotel... Also same with the Lake Louise Hotel... Take the classic picture of the lake with the mountains in the back drop.

Banff Springs Hotel

Lake Louise

Oh... You gotta visit or stay in the Banff Springs Hotel... Also same with the Lake Louise Hotel... Take the classic picture of the lake with the mountains in the back drop.

Banff Springs Hotel

Lake Louise

Yep - we're staying at the Banff Springs one of the things I am most looking forward to as a part of the trip. Did you happen to know that the hotel was built backwards due to an error on the part of the architect? I forget the orientation but I believe the front faces the mountains when it should have been overlooking the vallley.

The Canadian Railway hotels (Banff Springs is just one) are magnificent properties. Somebody had their snobby head screwed on right when they were built.

Yep - we're staying at the Banff Springs one of the things I am most looking forward to as a part of the trip. Did you happen to know that the hotel was built backwards due to an error on the part of the architect? I forget the orientation but I believe the front faces the mountains when it should have been overlooking the vallley.

The Canadian Railway hotels (Banff Springs is just one) are magnificent properties. Somebody had their snobby head screwed on right when they were built.

Neat!

I think it is haunted too!

:rolleyes::thumbsup:

I think it is haunted too!

:rolleyes::thumbsup:

NP .. sleep is like a near death experience for me ... ghosts or whatever will not wake me.

My wife on the other hand is freaked out by the people next door dropping a piece of paper on the floor as this is enough noise to wake her up.