Home improvement advice needed

RayFinkle

I removed a bunch of wallpaper recently in my dining room. Of course the original owners/builder cut corners and did not seal the wall before putting up the wallpaper. Removing the old paper was a brutal and of course it messed up the drywall.

After removing the paper I already sanded the walls and primed them with a special Zinser sealer/primer. I put my first skim coat of compound on last night, good times. My question is, should I sand BEFORE I put on a second skim coat, or should I just put on the second skim coat without sanding? I have read different opinions so I was just curious if anybody has done this themselves and can provide advice.

Thanks all.

I removed a bunch of wallpaper recently in my dining room. Of course the original owners/builder cut corners and did not seal the wall before putting up the wallpaper. Removing the old paper was a brutal and of course it messed up the drywall.

After removing the paper I already sanded the walls and primed them with a special Zinser sealer/primer. I put my first skim coat of compound on last night, good times. My question is, should I sand BEFORE I put on a second skim coat, or should I just put on the second skim coat without sanding? I have read different opinions so I was just curious if anybody has done this themselves and can provide advice.

Thanks all.

I have had more experience with this than I care to admit...

It kinda depends on how good the first coat is...if there aren't a lot of ridges and it isn't a thick coat that is going to reuire a ton of sanding to make a smooth surface, you should be able to put on a second coat filling in the low spots and evening it out.

If the first coat is an abortion, sand it then do the second coat...

When I first started I needed to lightly sand between coats, because I always tried to make the first coat perfect and would make a bigger mess than if I just left it...Now when I do the first coat I make sure that it covers the area enough without making it too thick...without sanding I use the second coat to bring it to the correct height and then sand, prime and look to see if a third coat is needed...

Also, in between coats, if you have some small ridges that are too high you can knock them down with the blade of the knife instead of sanding...

I have had more experience with this than I care to admit...

It kinda depends on how good the first coat is...if there aren't a lot of ridges and it isn't a thick coat that is going to reuire a ton of sanding to make a smooth surface, you should be able to put on a second coat filling in the low spots and evening it out.

If the first coat is an abortion, sand it then do the second coat...

When I first started I needed to lightly sand between coats, because I always tried to make the first coat perfect and would make a bigger mess than if I just left it...Now when I do the first coat I make sure that it covers the area enough without making it too thick...without sanding I use the second coat to bring it to the correct height and then sand, prime and look to see if a third coat is needed...

Also, in between coats, if you have some small ridges that are too high you can knock them down with the blade of the knife instead of sanding...

Thanks.

I think I may have gone a little too thick on the first coat. On the second and third coat (if needed), do you water your compound down a little more than usual?

Thanks.

I think I may have gone a little too thick on the first coat. On the second and third coat (if needed), do you water your compound down a little more than usual?

You're welcome.

Depends on how thick or viscous your mud is...with toothpaste or peanut butter consistency you may not need to if you are good with the knife in applying a minimal layer...If the mud is thicker water it down a bit...I recall at somepoint using dish soap in the mud as well...some contracters told me about it...I cannpot recall if the results were good or not

I have watered it down a bit in the past...for the last coat you are really just filling in minor imperfections, so it being watered down makes it a bit easy to make sure you get a very thin coat...just watchout for the water bubbles that may appear while you are spreading it...

I just ripped a bathroom cabinet & top out of my girlfriends house, the builders used construction adhesive to hold it to the wall, for the back splashes - it really screwed up the paper on the sheetrock, plus they barely taped the corener it was in, since the cabinet was installed no one would see it so the tape was there and a really crappy mud job...took 3 coats to get it right...

So I know what you are going through...it sucks...

...I have watered it down a bit in the past...for the last coat you are really just filling in minor imperfections, so it being watered down makes it a bit easy to make sure you get a very thin coat...just watchout for the water bubbles that may appear while you are spreading it...

That was my thought. For the second and third coats, it is really more for minor imperfections, so a thinning it out a bit might make it easier work with.

On the positive side, at least the wallpaper was only above the chair rail.

Thanks again.

That was my thought. For the second and third coats, it is really more for minor imperfections, so a thinning it out a bit might make it easier work with.

On the positive side, at least the wallpaper was only above the chair rail.

Thanks again.

LOL...Good luck :rolleyes:

For small repair / fill jobs, I use a slightly damp (almost dry) sponge when the mud is still a bit "grey". Light pressure and no sanding / dust. Tough to do though with corners, small space, that kind of stuff.

:wacko: LOL

I have never had any luck with the sponge...I honed my skills to skim and fill neatly so that minimal sanding is needed...Everytime I try to sponge...ugh :rolleyes:

:wacko: LOL

I have never had any luck with the sponge...I honed my skills to skim and fill neatly so that minimal sanding is needed...Everytime I try to sponge...ugh :rolleyes:

Are you a trowel or blade guy?

I prefer the blade...have 4 different size ones (2" - 12"). Plus I have the corner blade...that is a waste...I found you can do a much better job with a regular blade

Absolutely agree on the corner tool - a waste of coin. Guys who do this well are a rare breed - I am not one of them though I have improved.

For the bottom coat I like to add a few ounces of latex primer paint to all purpose compound if you dont have heavier compound. It is stronger, shrinks less, and is less dusty to sand.

For seams that need to be very strong, such as those that are not backed by anything solid and may settle I have used liquid nails and fiberglass tape to glue it in place. You pick these silly things up.

For the bottom coat I like to add a few ounces of latex primer paint to all purpose compound if you dont have heavier compound. It is stronger, shrinks less, and is less dusty to sand.

For seams that need to be very strong, such as those that are not backed by anything solid and may settle I have used liquid nails and fiberglass tape to glue it in place. You pick these silly things up.

Interesting tips