Drew Brees

Frez

I don't know K, I thoght Brees didn't look too bad on the field his first few years; at least not as bad as a story-hungry media wanted to portray. He struggled early in games but was really effective in the 4thqrtr, often keeping the woeful Chargers in games they had no business being in. Admittedly I only caught a smaller sample of his performances, but basically after some really solid clutch-time play for an undermanned team, I thought the Chargers bailing on Brees and drafting Rivers was a disastard in the making.

Cya

P.S. Awesome adjective/noun! I fully intend to steal and use(urp) it with no regard whatsoever to its creator;-)

106883[/snapback]

You're confusing "reality" with "this board". :blush:

I think the Chargers are a bit stuck - I don't have the details on Rivers contract (I'll look in a second) but you usually can't afford to take that hit from a guy one year into a long-term deal. I'm still amazed they went all-out for Rivers and didn't just accept those picks and look pretty.

Let's see what they could have done: For Eli Manning, the San Diego Chargers received:

the #4 pick, a third, and a first and a fifth in 2005.

With the 4th pick, they could have traded down with the Browns (say) for the 7th pick and a 2nd (the exact trade for the 6th pick, I'm being conservative).

With the 7th pick, they could have traded with the Bills for the 13th pick and a 2005 1st (half the Losman trade).

With the 13th pick, they could have drafted..Lee Evans, a legit WR threat to go with Brees and Tomlinson. An instant starter, for sure, over Reche Caldwell.

Then, in the 2nd, they'd have their pick, #5 to spend on Jake Grove, say, and then go in to 2005 with THREE first rounders. Wow.