2,800 competing for 350 jobs...

buckeyemike

...and some are still complaining, because we all know how evil Wal-Mart is.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Youngstown-Warren area, but it is probably the worst area in this country economically. Since the mills closed 30 years ago, the Steel Valley has been in a death spiral. It's gotten bad enough that the city of Youngstown is now starting to bulldoze entire streets b/c the houses are vacant.

What amazes me is that people b---h because it's Wal-Mart. I would wager that's the first major store opening in the area this year.

I understand it's a lot of minimum wage-type work, but whatever happened to the attitude of "work hard, and you'll make it"? You advance in the company if you do good work. That's what my parents drilled into my head and my brother's as well...show up, do a good job, and be dependable.

Instead, we want everything handed to us. This seems to be the attitude of a LOT of people these days. No wonder this country's in serious trouble.

In other news. The new walmart in Ohio closes down before it opens because the laid office union bosses demand the new walmart be unioned and the workers start at 75 an hour, and get health and full retirement income for life.

...and some are still complaining, because we all know how evil Wal-Mart is.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Youngstown-Warren area, but it is probably the worst area in this country economically. Since the mills closed 30 years ago, the Steel Valley has been in a death spiral. It's gotten bad enough that the city of Youngstown is now starting to bulldoze entire streets b/c the houses are vacant.

What amazes me is that people b---h because it's Wal-Mart. I would wager that's the first major store opening in the area this year.

I understand it's a lot of minimum wage-type work, but whatever happened to the attitude of "work hard, and you'll make it"? You advance in the company if you do good work. That's what my parents drilled into my head and my brother's as well...show up, do a good job, and be dependable.

Instead, we want everything handed to us. This seems to be the attitude of a LOT of people these days. No wonder this country's in serious trouble.

Excuse me for asking... For the life of me I can't figure out this word in your post (highlighted blue):

b---h

What is it?? :doh::doh:

Oh... And my commentary:

People do want it handed to them because just maybe, that is the way it always was... Especially post WWII America... Flame away... At that time you could stumble drunk from one good industrial job to another... Well, I know that is how it used to be in the shipping (water) trades.

:doh:

Just drove by that location this afternoon. Youngstown really is the armpit of america. It's truly a 3rd world town here. The only thing missing is tumbleweeds.

It may be the armpit... But just image what towns like Donora, PA looked like druing the 1940's... I guess China's go the death smog now. Your physical life or the ecomony? It has been proven by American business that you can't have both. :doh: