Health Care Reform - Change you can Believe in!

Any hospital private or public is required to treat any insured person if they have tax exempt status. My wife works at a private hospital as a senior person, and yes they do have to provide care. You have no clue WTF you are talking about. BTW, the vast majority of hospitals want and get tax exempt status.

They are turning them away in NY. Ambulance drivers have been reported taking folks to not for profit hospitals when they were in route to a for profit one. Maybe I should have made myself clearer. It is not widely reported but some hospitals have been turning away the uninsured. So I should have been more accurate, you are right, it has to do with tax exempt status but by definition a for profit hospital is not tax exempt and more and more are going that way.

Private in the purest sense of the word, not privately run. Tax exempt or not for profit one could argue is no longer private.

They are turning them away in NY. Ambulance drivers have been reported taking folks to not for profit hospitals when they were in route to a for profit one. Maybe I should have made myself clearer. It is not widely reported but some hospitals have been turning away the uninsured. So I should have been more accurate, you are right, it has to do with tax exempt status but by definition a for profit hospital is not tax exempt and more and more are going that way.

Private in the purest sense of the word, not privately run. Tax exempt or not for profit one could argue is no longer private.

Correct. I will tell you though, the word going through my wifes hospital is that the health bill as written, will force them and many others to close down. They would have so many restrictions and limits on how/when to perform tests. The concern will be money driven by the government rather than actually diagnosing and treating. Whereas it may take 10+ tests to narrow down and determine things the government will wind up having to review and approve every single test. It will make it an administrative and legal burdon. Also, hospitals like my wifes who just spent 10's of millions uipgrading with new equipment, etc... will go bankrupt because the tools and personnel needed to treat will be replaced by lawyers and business analysts to justify everything. The hospital group she is part of owns I believe 8 hospitals and they expect if it goes through that at least 3 will close down within a year.

Correct. I will tell you though, the word going through my wifes hospital is that the health bill as written, will force them and many others to close down. They would have so many restrictions and limits on how/when to perform tests. The concern will be money driven by the government rather than actually diagnosing and treating. Whereas it may take 10+ tests to narrow down and determine things the government will wind up having to review and approve every single test. It will make it an administrative and legal burdon. Also, hospitals like my wifes who just spent 10's of millions uipgrading with new equipment, etc... will go bankrupt because the tools and personnel needed to treat will be replaced by lawyers and business analysts to justify everything. The hospital group she is part of owns I believe 8 hospitals and they expect if it goes through that at least 3 will close down within a year.

Which goes right back to what I've been saying for years: you can't just "socialize" one part of the system. If you're going to guarantee coverage for everyone, you have to also manage the supply-side w/r/t the increased demand that will cause. If the government wants to provide health coverage to everyone, they're also going to have to provide health services as well.

Which goes right back to what I've been saying for years: you can't just "socialize" one part of the system. If you're going to guarantee coverage for everyone, you have to also manage the supply-side w/r/t the increased demand that will cause. If the government wants to provide health coverage to everyone, they're also going to have to provide health services as well.

They took over the bankrupt car companies. Not unusual to think they'd take over bankrupt hospitals and put them to work as well.