UFL Draft

CHUK ny

I think they should partner with the NFL and serve as a developmental league. Play in smaller cities, etc. Kind of like NFL Europe but back home. If Rochester had a team I would go to the games.

That would make more sense, and actually fit with their vision statement.

I think you have put your finger on the reason why this is going to fail. Do they really think that a lot of folks are going to want to watch minor league football on Fridays when there is college on Saturday and pro on Sunday? In markets where there are well-established teams with strong followings?

I think the lingerie football league is more likely to succeed... :doh:

Great points RJ. I think the San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles teams are doomed. People out here have a hard enough time being convinced to go to NFL football games. I doubt New York City is a good market either. Lots of great sports fans but two teams already and so many other things to do. I think Orlando is iffy. As you say there's pro football already as well as lots of major college football in that state. And Jacksonville is again having problems selling their NFL tickets. On top of all that Florida is right up there with Texas as far as high school football excellence. The best placed team I think is the Las Vegas team. Lots of people, money, and tourists. Not much in the way of sports in Las Vegas either. Hartford, CT might prove to be a good choice too.

Hopefully they partner up with the NFL because as I stated earlier I have watched some minor league pro football (WFL, USFL, NFL Europa) and will watch some of these games. I'd certainly watch a few of JP Losman's games simply out of curiosity. As a Sabres fan I used to watch occasional Rochester Americans games to check out the kids on the farm. How cool would it be to have NFL farm teams and in season call-ups? Or maybe I'm just hopelessly addicted to pro football.

I imagine the founders would say that it makes sense to start in big metro areas, but I think the selection of cities shows a real lack of creativity and imagination. NY, LA, and SF probably sounded good just because they are large markets, but that does not mean there is actual demand. Vegas has been the fool's gold (or more appropriately put, mirage) of many pro sports league people for years, but there again one wonders whether they have gone beyond simply looking at the population stats. Same goes for Orlando.

I think that there is the danger among many pro sports consultants to underestimate the importance of community spirit to making a sports team a success. It is not enough to be in a big city; the people have to feel connected enough to the team to go to the games, and that can take time. I rather doubt the UFL will be around long enough to make that happen.

Great points RJ. I think the San Francisco/Oakland and Los Angeles teams are doomed. People out here have a hard enough time being convinced to go to NFL football games. I doubt New York City is a good market either. Lots of great sports fans but two teams already and so many other things to do. I think Orlando is iffy. As you say there's pro football already as well as lots of major college football in that state. And Jacksonville is again having problems selling their NFL tickets. On top of all that Florida is right up there with Texas as far as high school football excellence. The best placed team I think is the Las Vegas team. Lots of people, money, and tourists. Not much in the way of sports in Las Vegas either. Hartford, CT might prove to be a good choice too.

Hopefully they partner up with the NFL because as I stated earlier I have watched some minor league pro football (WFL, USFL, NFL Europa) and will watch some of these games. I'd certainly watch a few of JP Losman's games simply out of curiosity. As a Sabres fan I used to watch occasional Rochester Americans games to check out the kids on the farm. How cool would it be to have NFL farm teams and in season call-ups? Or maybe I'm just hopelessly addicted to pro football.

Correct. Each team has already been assigned 20 players, which most likely includes their starting QBs. Here's what Chris Mortensen said about JP (via Twitter): "JP Losman technically not in draft but he'll play for Vegas, hoping work w Fassel can resurrect skills. Using Kerry Collins as role model."

Also in Vegas: WR David Kirkus, who played for Detroit and Denver. Think he had some legal trouble and washed out of the league.

Also speculation that Mike Vick could end up with Orlando.

Resurrect skills? I sincerely hope JP can flourish under Fassel but 'resurrect' implies skills once possessed. Here's hoping Fassel can 'find' skills previously not shown.

GO BILLS!!!

Resurrect skills? I sincerely hope JP can flourish under Fassel but 'resurrect' implies skills once possessed. Here's hoping Fassel can 'find' skills previously not shown.

GO BILLS!!!

Here's hoping Trent has the skills to put up at least 19 TD's this year as JP did in 06.

GO BILLS!!!

Seriously dude?

I'm not a JP fan (even though he is a really good guy--I've met him on multiple occasions), but come on. Skill was never his problem, he was immensely talented. Huge arm, very mobile, athletic, and pretty tough to boot.

His problem was in his head. He just doesn't seem to have what it takes mentally to be a good QB. Could a guy like Fassel foster that kind of mentality in JP? My guess is no, but to say that he has no skills is just plain incorrect.