US to apologise for African slavery

I can ease your guilt

I'll give you a bill with Abraham Lincoln on it in exchange for your Andrew Jackson bills. But since Jackson was an SOB and Lincoln freed the slaves, I'm going to have to charge 5 Jackson's per Lincoln

Don't confuse guilt with sadness. Maybe I should have said that... It makes me sad (not guilty). And I am pretty sure Lincoln was also a SOB, just not of the magnitude Jackson was.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people take this debate so personal. It seems like people are being asked to apologize for something THEY did. Now IMO, that is were some guilt exists.

Sorry man, I only apologize for something I did or had some direct or hell even indirect responsibilty. I had zero responsibilty in this and so did every living American. THAT'S the issue we have.

Sorry man, I only apologize for something I did or had some direct or hell even indirect responsibilty. I had zero responsibilty in this and so did every living American. THAT'S the issue we have.

I understand. As a country we can apologize... What is the big deal? It isn't about you or me, why are people internalizing it? Is it because the African-Americans are most considered an underclass? This debate seems more heated than the Jewish holocaust reparations... Now before everyone gets crazy, I know these two debates are like apples and oranges at times. The Holocaust was like what 60 years ago. It may be irrational, but I could hazard a guess that most African-Ameircans see a big double standard. There has got to be a way to get past the irrationality. Where do we take the first step?

I understand. As a country we can apologize... What is the big deal? It isn't about you or me, why are people internalizing it? Is it because the African-Americans are most considered an underclass? This debate seems more heated than the Jewish holocaust reparations... Now before everyone gets crazy, I know these two debates are like apples and oranges at times. The Holocaust was like what 60 years ago. It may be irrational, but I could hazard a guess that most African-Ameircans see a big double standard. There has got to be a way to get past the irrationality. Where do we take the first step?

I was unaware that we are paying Holocaust reparations, or that it was even considered. Why do African-Americans think this? IMO if the idea of the US paying reparations were brought up, it would be a far more heated debate than this one.

Is Obama going to apologize for the Holocaust too?

Why do people take this debate so personal. It seems like people are being asked to apologize for something THEY did. Now IMO, that is were some guilt exists.

Uh...that's the problem. Why are people being asked to apologize for something they never did?

Never read the NYS tax code, have you?

Seriously, what's in it?

(Now that I think of it, I do remember seeing a deduction in the Virginia tax code for being a Holocaust victim, wedged somewhere between having made payments in a tobacco settlement and paying for avian bird flu imdemnification.)

Uh...that's the problem. Why are people being asked to apologize for something they never did?

The people are NOT being asked. Their COUNTRY is being asked to apologize. Well, at least I see a difference between the two (my country's past policy/companies still in business and the people).

The people are NOT being asked. Their COUNTRY is being asked to apologize. Well, at least I see a difference between the two (my country's past policy/companies still in business and the people).

So what is the value then?

Your disconnect between the two reminds me of the welfare state. To most voters, asking the state to pay for something is not the same as asking them to.

So by all means, let's make the US the sugardaddy of freebie apologies! Let's apologize for discrimination, and then apologize for reverse discrimination. Let's apologize to the left for the war in Iraq, and to the right for the anti-war protests. Let's apologize for abortion, and for banning abortion. In fact, the government of the US should provide a personalized apology to each and every person for all the unjust things that ever happened to them or their ancestors.

People who were never enslaved but need to be angry about something.

I like what you said Darin! :rolleyes::wacko: Fits other people and arguments also. This coming from an angry anti-government guy who just happens to live in Alaska. :lol: Now I would cut you some slack if at least you were "enslaved" in one of the non-welfare queen states.

"Hello, pot calling kettle... Pot pick up on line 1."

So what is the value then?

Your disconnect between the two reminds me of the welfare state. To most voters, asking the state to pay for something is not the same as asking them to.

So by all means, let's make the US the sugardaddy of freebie apologies! Let's apologize for discrimination, and then apologize for reverse discrimination. Let's apologize to the left for the war in Iraq, and to the right for the anti-war protests. Let's apologize for abortion, and for banning abortion. In fact, the government of the US should provide a personalized apology to each and every person for all the unjust things that ever happened to them or their ancestors.

:rolleyes::wacko:

Oh... You forgot... We can apologize to the gays for not letting them get married.