US to apologise for African slavery

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's relevant how, exactly? Should the current company be forced out of business because of something that happened 140 years ago.

Grow up. Move on. Absolutely asinine idea/argument.

Yes/No they shouldn't be forced out of business... Depends how they run their business after settling a past score. If they pout like a child, stomp their feet... Then they vanish as a business. Pay and settle for their "leg up" that they attained. They built their wealth and foundation on the backs of slavery. Hey everybody likes a leg up building their wealth. Oh, wait... That is not how it is suppose to work... Good old fashioned hardwork is where it comes from. Ya, off the backs of slaves. :w00t:

You are a man of "honor." Time for YOU to grow up Darin and accept responsibility for certain actions... You just don't like doing that. You just don't want to do that... You are a bigger hypocrite than you claim I am. Move along, nothing to see here people, Darin wants people and entities to be held accountable for their actions only if it is deemed appropiate by the Darin himself... :doh: Yep Eric (Exiled in Illinois) is a hypocrite... :doh:

Getting back on topic. Most of this country's (US) foundation and certain business have been built off the backs off the morally corrupt institution of slavery. Why not apologize? A bad deal since the get go. I suppose if you built your house on a foundation that took advantage of others, how does time heal it? The bad dealing (of course to your advantage) will always be there. How do we as a country expect others to live up to loftier ideals?

I see no harm in settling an old score. People were taken advantage (all dead now), but the entities that used them to their advantage still exist. Accountability should be in order.

I am not going to render my opinion on corporate personhood. Going back 123 years it is pretty clear where the US Supreme court stood then on this issue. No changing it now.

Flame away conservatives.

On another note, thake a look at the "cirlce of violence" that has escalated in Africa due in part (notice what I said, "due in part"... The US is not soley to blame)) becuase of the American salve trade. A lot of guns ended up in Africa. I am not saying the US is soley to blame... Why not admit to being part of the problem that exists today? Why not clear our conscience as a nation... We as a nation have been clearly part of the problem... By admitting this, it doesn't mean we will be letting ALL other parties off the hook.

On another note, thake a look at the "cirlce of violence" that has escalated in Africa due in part (notice what I said, "due in part"... The US is not soley to blame)) becuase of the American salve trade. A lot of guns ended up in Africa. I am not saying the US is soley to blame... Why not admit to being part of the problem that exists today? Why not clear our conscience as a nation... We as a nation have been clearly part of the problem... By admitting this, it doesn't mean we will be letting ALL other parties off the hook.

Yes the American slave traders were notorious for handing out AK-47s. I hope your not driving.

Yes/No they shouldn't be forced out of business... Depends how they run their business after settling a past score. If they pout like a child, stomp their feet... Then they vanish as a business. Pay and settle for their "leg up" that they attained. They built their wealth and foundation on the backs of slavery. Hey everybody likes a leg up building their wealth. Oh, wait... That is not how it is suppose to work... Good old fashioned hardwork is where it comes from. Ya, off the backs of slaves. <_<

:lol: Let's start us an ol' fashun (sic) witchy hunt. Settle us some scores.

It's like there's no depth to your idiocy.

You are a man of "honor." Time for YOU to grow up Darin and accept responsibility for certain actions... You just don't like doing that. You just don't want to do that... You are a bigger hypocrite than you claim I am. Move along, nothing to see here people, Darin wants people and entities to be held accountable for their actions only if it is deemed appropiate by the Darin himself... :rolleyes: Yep Eric (Exiled in Illinois) is a hypocrite... :rolleyes:

You can't hold people who weren't alive and entities that exist in name only accountable for the sins of the past. Half of the problem in this world is people carry ridiculous grudges. Your "rationale" is completely flawed.

Looking at the history objectively, shouldn't Brazil be the one apologizing?

Brazil was the driver. They were the destination for most of the slaves by far, were the last to outlaw the importation of slaves, and didn't end slavery until 1888. It was all about sugar cane in Brazil - cotten in the US was a side-show.

You can't hold people who weren't alive and entities that exist in name only accountable for the sins of the past. Half of the problem in this world is people carry ridiculous grudges. Your "rationale" is completely flawed.

I do understand what you are saying, but IMO I don't think we can't "go foward" without some sort of closure. After the Civil War, our country was moving forward... "Separate but Equal" set this country back 60+ years... And that was a direct mistake of the US government (Supreme Court)... Again, there has to be closure and accountability for those 60+ years. This isn't a simple grudge.

I do understand what you are saying, but IMO I don't think we can't "go foward" without some sort of closure. After the Civil War, our country was moving forward... "Separate but Equal" set this country back 60+ years... And that was a direct mistake of the US government (Supreme Court)... Again, there has to be closure and accountability for those 60+ years. This isn't a simple grudge.

Give me some example of this "closure" you seem to be seeking. Surely you've thought a whole bunch about this to even offer up such a thing.

So far, the people who're whining the most seem to want some money for nothing - as if that is going to end well. If that's the "closure" you're alluding to, you can forget about it because the people who'll be paying the money aren't going to forget about it for the rest of their lives and I doubt their children would either.

Give me some example of this "closure" you seem to be seeking. Surely you've thought a whole bunch about this to even offer up such a thing.

So far, the people who're whining the most seem to want some money for nothing - as if that is going to end well. If that's the "closure" you're alluding to, you can forget about it because the people who'll be paying the money aren't going to forget about it for the rest of their lives and I doubt their children would either.

The what is wrong with an apology? That is what the thread is about. No?

Yes. Not 200 years ago. Please explain to to me how American slavery caused this.

I said (ya bad grammar and typos in all):

"Circle of violence" "Guns" "African" "American (really Atlantic) slave trade"

The Atlantic Slave Trade had enormous negative effects on the continent of Africa. As was mentioned above in regards to the Kongo Kingdom, many parts of Africa suffered from an increase in violence, drain of people, and an economy increasingly reliant on slavery. Over four hundred years of slave trade had transformed the African Continent from coastal regions (where most of the trading with Europeans took place) all the way to the interior of Africa (where many slaves were captured to be sold.) Despite the tremendous consequences of the Atlantic Slave Trade on Africa, Africans still continued to make important progress during this time in areas such as literacy, metal working, and textile production. However, there is no doubt that the Atlantic Slave Trade changed the face of the earth in many ways and presented a huge challenge to Africa in trying to recover from this brutal period of her history.

You can google the rest. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

if they start paying out reparations to descendants of slaves, those descendants of slaves need to start paying out their own reparations to descendants of Union soldiers who fought to free the slaves

jackpot! :rolleyes:

The English owe me money for the treatment of my Irish ancestors...but seeing as though I have English ancestry going back to the royals...I'll just take a fiver from the left pocket and put it in the right pocket.

:rolleyes: