Quick Advise needed for outdoor speakers

plenzmd1

K, so i see most folks say use basic 14-16 gage speaker wire, only really have seen one guy call for wire specifically designed to be buried outdoors. I am placing these speakers on two trees pretty far(65 FT) from where the amp will be, and plan on burying the wire in the ground(100% landscape area, no mowing etc where the wire will be) .

Hate to have to bury twice, but also hate to flush money down the toilet if not needed. Any experiences greatly appreciated.

K, so i see most folks say use basic 14-16 gage speaker wire, only really have seen one guy call for wire specifically designed to be buried outdoors. I am placing these speakers on two trees pretty far(65 FT) from where the amp will be, and plan on burying the wire in the ground(100% landscape area, no mowing etc where the wire will be) .

Hate to have to bury twice, but also hate to flush money down the toilet if not needed. Any experiences greatly appreciated.

Find out if your neighbors have air rifles. That's what is used in the wee hours to halt your blistering of their eardrums and re-assert their right to a peaceful, quiet existence. :wallbash:

Find out if your neighbors have air rifles. That's what is used in the wee hours to halt your blistering of their eardrums and re-assert their right to a peaceful, quiet existence. :P

Fug em if they can't take a joke. See Cinci, you make assumptions before you know the facts. I have a lower patio with a fire pit, and these speakers will be installed right next to the patio so as not to have to be played loud, as my speakers from the back porch now do. So, I am being a good neighbor by installing these :wallbash:;)

Fug em if they can't take a joke. See Cinci, you make assumptions before you know the facts. I have a lower patio with a fire pit, and these speakers will be installed right next to the patio so as not to have to be played loud, as my speakers from the back porch now do. So, I am being a good neighbor by installing these :wallbash:;)

:P

Yes, you are being a good neighbor. Many aren't.

I've no idea if the wire gauge is right for the distance - I leave that to the audiophiles.

Myself, I'd buy whatever normal stuff that works. Then I'd buy some solid-core coated wire, stiff enough that you can bend it into a "U" shape. Then bend the ends back into another, much smaller u shape.

Run your wires, and take a piece of wood and pound the u wire down to locate the speaker wire in intimacy with the soil...every few feet.

Employ your boy to do this task. Sense of accomplishment, working on manly stuff with Dad, etc. All good.

Buy red-sheathed wire. Easier to see and push back down as the soil seasonally swells and heaves.

If the speaker wire fails after a few years...so what? It's cheap, so just repeat the process.

I just installed some speakers designed to look like rocks around my pool. I used heavier gauge speaker wire (16 or 18 I think) but it was not specific to outdoor use.

I semi-buried it under the gravel around the pool. I think I have over 50ft, and there doesn't seem to be any noticable signal degridation due to the distance.

In your case I would just make sure the plastic around the wire is durable and you should be OK.

I use landscape wiring for my home theater that I bought at Home Depot. It came in a 50 foot bunch and looked like wire you would use for a lamp. I am using 12 guage, but I'm sure you could get away with thinner wire. I assume that since this wire is meant to be buried and run to landscape lighting that you would have no problems. It was pretty cheap too.

Find out if your neighbors have air rifles. That's what is used in the wee hours to halt your blistering of their eardrums and re-assert their right to a peaceful, quiet existence. ;)

Here Here!!! I have neighbors who have some... :wallbash:

I'm by no means an expert, but if you're actually burying this stuff, I personally would use conduit. Cheap PVC pipe or something. Better safe than sorry; more likely to stay buried & will protect it from inadvertent digging or whatever.

I'd also consider a fatter wire. IIRC, I used 14 gauge in my house, the longest run of which is probably less than 40'.

Here Here!!! I have neighbors who have some... :thumbsup:

Editorial comment:

Today's air rifles are so powerful. I've a Daisy PowerLine 880 lever pump rifle, 6 or 7 years old. Cost something like 30 bucks. Rifled barrel, 3x plastic scope. Quite accurate. Still sold. Still inexpensive.

It fires a BB and a .177 pellet at over 665 fps muzzle velocity. That's .22 short standard velocity.

If you want to buy a kid a BB gun, stick to something like a Daisy "Red Ryder" .

My PowerLine 30 dollar Daisy is a deadly weapon. Not for children, at all.

Edited by stuckincincy

Fogey!

hey, I like 70's and 80's stuff just like the rest of you, but when I hear "Takin' care of business"...over and over and over :thumbsup::beer: I thought of having my son blare some Lil Wayne, but that ain't right.

Yeah, I'll be 50 this year so I guess I'm a fogey. :beer:

Editorial comment:

Today's air rifles are so powerful. I've a Daisy PowerLine 880 lever pump rifle, 6 or 7 years old. Cost something like 30 bucks. Rifled barrel, 3x plastic scope. Quite accurate. Still sold. Still inexpensive.

It fires a BB and a .177 pellet at over 700 fps muzzle velocity. That's .22 short standard velocity.

If you want to buy a kid a BB gun, stick to something like a Daisy "Red Ryder" .

My PowerLine 30 dollar Daisy is a deadly weapon. Not for children, at all.

hmmm..I don't like their dogs either...interesting.