Stallworth Going To Prison

H2o

You must have a hell of a insurance policy. Mine pays medical and property damage. I see nothing about paying the family to shut up at the trial.

Sigh, ignorance at its finest. The insurance company settled with the family so as to avoid a lawsuit.

This board is full of idiots who know less than nothing about what they post.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh, ignorance at its finest. The insurance company settled with the family so as to avoid a lawsuit.

This board is full of idiots who know less than nothing about what they post.

Driving drunk invalidates almost all liability insurance I thought, is that not correct?

You people are seriously !@#$ing dumb.

he Reyes family likely will be receiving a very sizable payment from Stallworth’s insurance company, and from Stallworth himself, in settlement of the “wrongful death” civil action.

straight from a !@#$ing lawyer. Your ignorance is starting to annoy me.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/16/...ty-to-dui-only/

since Stallworth has an umbrella policy, the settlement (likely under $5 million) will be paid in full by the insurance companies.

Huh? Insurance companies settle with families who have had relatives die in DUI crashes ALL THE TIME.

If the families are RICH. Its all about the money.-And don't tell me that the $$ had nothing to do with the fact that he only got a month in jail.

since Stallworth has an umbrella policy, the settlement (likely under $5 million) will be paid in full by the insurance companies.

-of course he got the huge umbrella policy--because he is rich.

He won't be able to afford insurance on a Pinto now, more or less a Bentley.

As noted, the main victim, is dead and not returning any time soon to the mortal plane. That leaves the still living victims, the family. Clearly, they prefer to not testify or pursue the issue, and equally clearly there was a quid pro quo in terms of financial settlement, which indiced this reluctance to pursue the matter.

If this outcome was not possible, they have to go through years of expensive litigation to mtry and attach some of this guys wealth, which by then may be less as he cannot earn from prison and also has spent lots on his own lawyers defending himself.

The Florida DA must have also been complicit in this arrangement and essentially agreed beforehand, with the families blessing, to go light on Stallworth.

The entire situation saves taxpayer money, and strongly benefits the only LIVING victims in the case.

Again, satisfactory resolution.

It sounds, to me, like your saying that somebody can murder a person and if they pay the family enough they can get away with it. The crime and payment are two totally different things. OJ was acquitted and still had to pay a large civil suit. If he had been convicted the civil suit would still have happened.

I was shocked at the 30 day sentence. When this happened I thought for sure his career was over, and he'd be spending years in prison.

I understand the reasoning after reading the article.

And, I have to say that I have to give him credit for immediately calling 911, and owning up to the whole thing, even though he knew he was drunk, etc.

You have to give him credit for obeying the law? I guess every time I'm pulled over for speeding the cop should just say; "You know what. You pulled over instead of running, forget the ticket." :wallbash:

thats two different stories. he killed the man in an "accident". you going to kill a person shows that you have INTENT to kill that person. im not saying what he did was right because its not, but how many people on this board are guilty of driving not drunk but under the influence? how many of you have been lucky enough not to be caught, injure yourself or someone else? i am willing to bet just about half. he knows he killed a man and has to live with that burden for the rest of his life. he seems to be extremely remorseful. he hasnt lied and has cooperated with authorities. what would paying his debt to soceity do? the people most affected by his death were his family. if they and the prosecutors offered the plea to stallworth, who is anyone to criticize them? nobody knows there financial siutation.

bottom line is that wealthy people have an advantage in getting the best legal assistance than your average joe.

I sounds, to me, that you're saying because a lot of people have gotten away with it he should be lightly punished?! If a person burglarizes a house he should get a light sentence because a lot of people have burglarized houses and gotten away with it?

Because rich people get better representation due to their money is ok with you? It isn't to me.

Gosh, i wish people would actually research the subject before they commented.

listen to the first link:

http://search.espn.go.com/roger-cossack/

Roger Cossack says that he believes that since the family was ok with it then he was ok with it. Again, by paying off the family he got lighter justice. It seems, to me, that you agree that justice should be for sale.

Jim's right, says so here in this link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4262751

Stallworth's settlement with the family was TO AVOID A LAWSUIT. The settlement had no bearing on the criminal charges against him.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth's attorney, Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

It was only, as Raimus points out, to stop a long civil suit.

If you think that the DA did not consult the family and learn what the families wishes were prior to making a plea deal, you are quitre naive

I don't give a crap if they wanted him to get two tickets to paradise. Their opinion matters little to me. The law is the law no matter what. Like some other people here it seems, to me, that you feel justice should be for sale.

Society elected the FLA DA. I assume that he speaks for society, so what society wanted, and got, was the best possible resolution for the victims family.

It is not about what YOU want, it is about the family, and also, this IS waht society wants. Get off your high horses, if it happened to you, maybe you would choose this solution also.

If it happened to the vast majority of people here they wouldn't have more than $5 million to shell out and therefore couldn't afford to lighten their sentences.

He didn't buy his way out of his prison sentence. His insurance company paid the settlement, the same would happen for any of us.

Linky

Per the Herald, the deal calls for a “short jail stay,” and the Reyes family pushed for a quick resolution of the case. This implies to us that Stallworth will indeed plead to DUI charges only — and that the Reyes family likely will be receiving a very sizable payment from Stallworth’s insurance company, and from Stallworth himself, in settlement of the “wrongful death” civil action.

Your reading comprehension is beginning to annoy me. Look at the quote above from that article.

Question: If the family settled and then kicked back money to the DA in order for DS to get a reduced sentence would that be ok?

I guess his license suspension is in all states;

Linky

No state may issue a driver license if there is an active suspension or revocation in another state. License suspension and revocation information is shared with all 50 states. If your driving privilege is suspended or revoked in another state, you must follow that state's reinstatement procedures prior to obtaining a Nevada driver license. See Links to All 50 State DMV's.

That is a lot worse than I thought, but still easy to avoid since if he pays attention enough to not get caught a cop most likely won't pull him over.

I wonder what the penalty would be if he is caught?

In the section you quoted, it says:

...the Reyes family likely will be receiving a very sizable payment from Stallworth’s insurance company, and from Stallworth himself...

It's only sad for the guy he killed and the family he left behind, Stallworth can rot.

Skoob you are being a little hard on him. I am no Stallworth fan or Cleveland fan. So It does not matter to me at all. I can say though with reasonable certanty that if the man was not Jay walking he would be still here today. Stallworth having some drinks in him was not the cause of the accident. I have seen police write many tickets to people for jay walking who have been hit by a car and laying in the Trauma unit in Las Vegas. And some were hit by drunk drivers. Stallworth might have messed up in this situation but he was a stand up guy during it.

Skoob you are being a little hard on him. I am no Stallworth fan or Cleveland fan. So It does not matter to me at all. I can say though with reasonable certanty that if the man was not Jay walking he would be still here today. Stallworth having some drinks in him was not the cause of the accident. I have seen police write many tickets to people for jay walking who have been hit by a car and laying in the Trauma unit in Las Vegas. And some were hit by drunk drivers. Stallworth might have messed up in this situation but he was a stand up guy during it.

You know, that's a great point and one I have thought of before. If we have a lawyer on here, would love the legal thought behind that concept. In other words, lets say a guy is hammered, but driving according to all laws. At a light, his light turns green and he proceeds thru the intersection. Somebody coming in from perpendicular blows the red light, head on collision, and dies.

Is that a DUI or a DUI manslaughter? Does the dead guys insurance then have to pay as it is ruled he caused the accident? or is it just 100% drunk guys fault?

In the section you quoted, it says:

Since he has an umbrella policy, he would be paying nothing. You know how much it costs to get a $5 million umbrella policy? $500 a year. Yeah, only the "rich" can afford that.

It sounds, to me, like your saying that somebody can murder a person and if they pay the family enough they can get away with it. The crime and payment are two totally different things. OJ was acquitted and still had to pay a large civil suit. If he had been convicted the civil suit would still have happened.

You have to give him credit for obeying the law? I guess every time I'm pulled over for speeding the cop should just say; "You know what. You pulled over instead of running, forget the ticket." :wallbash:

I sounds, to me, that you're saying because a lot of people have gotten away with it he should be lightly punished?! If a person burglarizes a house he should get a light sentence because a lot of people have burglarized houses and gotten away with it?

Because rich people get better representation due to their money is ok with you? It isn't to me.

Roger Cossack says that he believes that since the family was ok with it then he was ok with it. Again, by paying off the family he got lighter justice. It seems, to me, that you agree that justice should be for sale.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth's attorney, Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

It was only, as Raimus points out, to stop a long civil suit.

I don't give a crap if they wanted him to get two tickets to paradise. Their opinion matters little to me. The law is the law no matter what. Like some other people here it seems, to me, that you feel justice should be for sale.

If it happened to the vast majority of people here they wouldn't have more than $5 million to shell out and therefore couldn't afford to lighten their sentences.

Linky

Per the Herald, the deal calls for a “short jail stay,” and the Reyes family pushed for a quick resolution of the case. This implies to us that Stallworth will indeed plead to DUI charges only — and that the Reyes family likely will be receiving a very sizable payment from Stallworth’s insurance company, and from Stallworth himself, in settlement of the “wrongful death” civil action.

Your reading comprehension is beginning to annoy me. Look at the quote above from that article.

Question: If the family settled and then kicked back money to the DA in order for DS to get a reduced sentence would that be ok?

Jesus christs steely, he settled to avoid a lawsuit... not to get a lighter sentence. The insurance company has no vested interest in whether or not Stallworth goes to jail. They do, however, care about continuing to pay attorney fees, and possibly being hit with a larger judgment. The fact that the family was taken care of is only a by product of standard procedure in cases like this. Florio likely had no knowledge of Stallworth's umbrella policy, or he would have known that it would have paid all costs above $300,000.

Plus, even IF stallworth paid anything, these settlements take into account someone's assets. So if it were you or me, we would have paid much less. It's on a sliding scale, so income is irrelevant.