Military members past and present

MarkAF43

I appreciate the thanks, as do all of us vets, but frankly I felt it was my duty and privilege to serve my country. Part of the deal of being a citizen, I figure. Most of us will admit we got a lot more out of our service than we put in, duty honor country and all that, but also wisdom and loyalty to comrades (eryn and the ppp will probably blow a gasket at the comrade stuff.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the thanks, as do all of us vets, but frankly I felt it was my duty and privilege to serve my country. Part of the deal of being a citizen, I figure. Most of us will admit we got a lot more out of our service than we put in, duty honor country and all that, but also wisdom and loyalty to comrades (eryn and the ppp will probably blow a gasket at the comrade stuff.)

I agree totally, you make very good points :rolleyes:

For those that joined, what would you say your primary motivation was?

My motivation was much like Darrin's. I had to get out of Jimmytown, grow up ALOT, do something challenging, learn to do something besides play town-team baseball, work a crappy dead-end job and NOT end up sitting on a bar stool at the local bar in my hometown bitching about the same old thing every night. (wow that is one long-ass runon sentence and I was a journalist in the AF... :rolleyes: )

I learned a trade in the Force o' the Air, that I really love and if it wasn't for enlisting, I probably never would have discovered my affinity for writing and shooting photos. Plus I met my wife courtesy of the military and that is by far the best thing I've ever done.

One thing I've always been over-whealmed and almost "uncomfortable" with is depth of gratitude people express to me as a veteran. I've been to various public events like baseball games where they ask all vets to stand up and be recognized, which I don't normally do. One time I was at a game with a buddy of mine from back in WNY and he said "why don't you stand up?" And I told him, the spotlight and the applause kind of makes me uncomfortable. What I did in the military didn't ensure anyone's freedom, I didn't defend a piece of land or free any oppressed people. I guess I don't take what I did as that noble of an endeavor. I covered and wrote about what the real heroes were doing, I tried to make sure THEY got the credit THEY deserve.

I don't know I guess I'm just wired different (shut up Beerball, don't get started on me...) <_<

One thing I've always been over-whealmed and almost "uncomfortable" with is depth of gratitude people express to me as a veteran. I've been to various public events like baseball games where they ask all vets to stand up and be recognized, which I don't normally do. One time I was at a game with a buddy of mine from back in WNY and he said "why don't you stand up?" And I told him, the spotlight and the applause kind of makes me uncomfortable. What I did in the military didn't ensure anyone's freedom, I didn't defend a piece of land or free any oppressed people. I guess I don't take what I did as some that noble of an endeavor. I covered and wrote about what the real heroes were doing, I tried to make sure THEY got the credit THEY deserve.

Good point Bullpen ... When I look back at my service in Desert Storm, what I experienced is nothing compared to what guys are facing in Iraq/Kuwait, or faced in 'Nam, Korea, WW II, etc ...

You twidgets always get the best billets.

I know I know choose your rate choose your fate!

Are you teaching at NTTC Corry right now?

No...I received a really good job offer from Raytheon back in 2004 and bailed. I now live in Australia and work as a Project Manager. I figure in 18 months or so it might be time to move back to Buffalo for awhile.