Military members past and present

MarkAF43

I was in the Air Force.....ten years. Served during Desert Shield in Iraq.

I grew up a lot when I got in......a lot of my working talents and attitude came from there.

Saddest day was when they told me I couldnt join the reserves because I had diabetes.......they let you in if you have heart disease....not not diabetes.I felt like my family had told me to leave the house and not come back. it was wierd.

What is the logic behind that?[assuming you weren't a pilot]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the logic behind that?[assuming you weren't a pilot]

Not sure what type of diabetes he has, but the hassle of having to deal withe daily injections I suppose is enough??? Then there is the consideration of special diet. I am sure in today's world the logistics can be worked out... Probably a hold out reg from a bygone era??

For those that joined, what would you say your primary motivation was?

During my senior year of high school recruiters used to call me and I said I had no interest because I didn't like the idea of being in debt to any entity. In retrospect, I think this attitude was short sighted. Like another poster said, being in the military is like any other career: you're always at the whim of your employer. I don't have any regrets about not joining, but I can now see the benefits of being in the military.

Thank you to all who serve.

During my senior year of high school recruiters used to call me and I said I had no interest because I didn't like the idea of being in debt to any entity. In retrospect, I think this attitude was short sighted. Like another poster said, being in the military is like any other career: you're always at the whim of your employer. I don't have any regrets about not joining, but I can now see the benefits of being in the military.

Went in for the benefits and became "Gung-Ho" shortly after AIT. It's funny how it works, I think the increased confidence the military gives you can dramatically change your outlook on your priorities in life or perhaps it's just a tad of so-called brain-washing...

For me, it's kind of cliched, but i felt like my life was going nowhere, i was working retail at a mall, no school, living at home, so when I joined (age24) forced me to grow up quick, I wouldn't trade it for anything

For me, it was that I needed to do something with my life. After I high school, I went to a community college for one semester. I skipped classes for 2 months, but still had an A average ... I realized I wasn't ready for college so I quit. I figured that I needed to do something and I like airplanes, so I decided to join the Air National Guard. While I was talking to the recruiter, 2 buddies of mine came home from Marine boot camp, and I was blown away by the difference in made in them, so I went in the Marine Reserves instead.

When I went back to college, it gave me more discipline to work harder. I was more disciplined and more mature, especially after I came back from Desert Storm.

I had no direction in my life. I was going to a community college with only minimal interest and working a nowhere type job. I decided I wanted to do something exciting and challenging. After one trip to the recruiting station, I knew I wanted to be like that Marine recruiter. The funny thing is I will never forget his name or my Drill Instructors names for the rest of my life.

In all honesty I wanted to shoot guns and blow things up as well. It was a perfect fit and I think about my experiences every single day. My enlistment in the Marine Corps. was the best time of my life, even in Iraq. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

To get away from the death throws of the WNY job market. Very few people from my generation were doing anything with their lives - most were working some dead end job Monday thru Friday and then partying like crazy Friday and Saturday night. I'd bet at least half of them had DUIs or some other alcohol related arrest.

To get away from the death throws of the WNY job market. Very few people from my generation were doing anything with their lives - most were working some dead end job Monday thru Friday and then partying like crazy Friday and Saturday night. I'd bet at least half of them had DUIs or some other alcohol related arrest.

Zackly...

Growing up in WNY in the late 70's and early 80's convinced me that I needed to get out of there. I was blessed with the foresight that if I kept selling weed at the rate I was, it wouldn't have a good outcome. I also knew I needed a swift kick in the arse that I couldn't inflict on myself and who better to assist with that then the Marine Corps?

Other than marrying my wife, it was the best decision I've made in my life.

I am in the AF reserves now and just about done with 6 years.

I most certianly have not "done it all" but i have seen plenty that i would NEVER have seen or experienced as a civilian. I have been as far west as Guam and as far east as Turkey and had my fair share of stories/adventure/experiences in between.

i took a break in my sophmore year of college to go to basic training and have not looked back, i now have a degree, a fairly successful civilian career and am debating on re-enlisting or not for another contract.

I initially joined for the experience, gain some direction and structure in life, and to challenge myself. I know it's cliche' but i love this country and have always been interested in the military and after doing some research decided to go for it.

it has been a great experience and i would recomend it to anyone.

In the late 80s the Pentagon was giving out ROTC scholarships to just about anyone that asked. Okay, not entirely true but I did manage to snag an Army scholarship, so I took it. By the time I graduated in '93, the Army was being downsized and since I wasn't exactly a Ranger, I got a reserve commission in the Signal Corps. I spent 6 months at Ft. Gordon doing my Officer Basic Course, but the toughest part was combating boredom. The most significant action I saw was chasing girls in Myrtle Beach and New Orleans. Spent most of my commitment in the IRR except for a short stint as a Company Commander of a Headquarters Company in Syracuse (paperwork platoon). Honorably discharged in 2002.

So I served, but I didn't really do anything. I'd say that the training made me a much better person, but hey - the taxpayer picked up that bill. Not exactly inspiring, huh?

The military isn't for everyone, but I might believe that 8 weeks of basic training for all high-schoolers before senior year might not be a bad government initiative. Better than a lot of $-wasting stuff we do.

Zackly...

Growing up in WNY in the late 70's and early 80's convinced me that I needed to get out of there. I was blessed with the foresight that if I kept selling weed at the rate I was, it wouldn't have a good outcome. I also knew I needed a swift kick in the arse that I couldn't inflict on myself and who better to assist with that then the Marine Corps?

Other than marrying my wife, it was the best decision I've made in my life.

That's my thoughts exactly. I was going NO WHERE FAST. It definitely saved my life and made me the man I am today.

Great thread. Thanks to all who have served. I'm also struck by how many credit their service for helping to get them on the right track in life.

Del Rio is like Odessa's dirty little brother.

I've been there! My brother's first assignment for flight school was in Del Rio, training on T-38s. When his next assignment took him to Sacramento, I flew down to Texas and took the road trip across the SW with him. Fun time. The only place more dumpy than Del Rio was the sh--hole town across the boarder.

He washed out as a pilot but became an accomplished wizzo in F-111s and F-15E, logging over 500 combat hours during and between the two Iraq engagements. Retired last year as Lt. Col. after 21 years.

US Navy

CTM1(SS)

14 years

NSGA Adak, NSGA Sabana Seca, NSGA Pearl Harbor, FCTC San Diego, NTTC Pensacola

To get away from the death throws of the WNY job market

Ditto

Great thread. Thanks to all who have served. I'm also struck by how many credit their service for helping to get them on the right track in life.

I've been there! My brother's first assignment for flight school was in Del Rio, training on T-38s. When his name assignment took him to Sacramento, I flew down to Texas and took the road trip across the SW with him. Fun time. The only place more dumpy than Del Rio was the sh--hole town across the boarder.

He washed out as a pilot but became an accomplished wizzo in F-111s and F-15E, logging over 500 combat hours during and between the two Iraq engagements. Retired last year as Lt. Col. after 21 years.

Wild guess on my part-navigator?

US Navy

CTM1(SS)

14 years

NSGA Adak, NSGA Sabana Seca, NSGA Pearl Harbor, FCTC San Diego, NTTC Pensacola

Ditto

You twidgets always get the best billets. :thumbsup:

I know I know choose your rate choose your fate!

Are you teaching at NTTC Corry right now?

Good question. I should say that I am not surprised by the answers given so far.

Myself? I never served actively. I graduated high school 1986 (W. Seneca West)... Went right on to the University at Buffalo and graduated in 1990 with my degree... I do thank my father who's DAV benefits helped get me through school. Almost shortly after graduation (under a year) after I started working for the US Army Corps of Engineers with Buffalo District... Since then I have been a DoD Army civilian employee... It will be 19 years in February... Where has the time gone? :thumbsup: