Military members past and present

MarkAF43

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he is in the coast guard academy i am assuming he is working towards being a comissioned officer (i admit i dont know much about the USCG). if that is the case he is going through intensive training but what he is learning now will put him so far ahead of his civilian counterparts you wouldn't believe it. when he is done with his commitment (assuming he gets out at the first chance) and enters the civilan job market he will have more experience than 99.9% of his peers and will be in demand, but odds are, he will say in for 20+

and that whole thing about having a "normal" lifestyle, right now he is in a "military training" enviornment which takes up his life, but once he completes that and gets to his duty station he will be able to have his free time and lead a normal life outside of work and date/marry raise a family or whatever

just my .02cents

I'm not sure about the commissioned officer thing, all I know is that he's in a normal college atmosphere where he takes normal college classes such as math and sciences at the naval academy. I know that he gets paid to be in the classroom, but not sure what his regimine outside of the schooling is. During the summer last year they sailed around the US, and this summer he's going to train the newbees on the same thing. He is the type that will stay 20+ years. I believe 24 years is when he hits some sort of retirement/pension thing.

As far as his station and family life, from what I understand, they move around quite a bit, are often isolated, and don't typically have the chance to meet or marry outside of the military. I guess I'm just worried that he'll be happy with all the money/friends/experiences now, but as he gets older wish he lived more of a "normal" life outside of the base. I hope that doesnt happen.

Did anyone feel that their head start in life was stunted by going into the military (or any branch)? i.e.. they were starting their careers a lot older than others, family, money?

Not at all ... I was in college during my time in the reserves ... I lost 2 years (1 for boot camp/school & 1 for Desert Storm). I was irresponsible and immature when I was younger, so the Corps helped me grow up alot. I didn't graduate college and start working until I was 25, but I have no regrets.

While you were in Texas did you ever have the unfortunate opportunity to see GoodFellow AFB? I spent 6 months there, San Angelo talk about a depressing town!

Yes, I played in a softball tournament there one time. Absolutely horrible! Swore I would never go there again. First job I had after I got out was working for a Budweiser distributor and one of our sister branches was located in San Angelo, well where do you suppose they had our first company wide sales meeting? Yep, San-Fuggin-Angelo. :wallbash:

Did anyone feel that their head start in life was stunted by going into the military (or any branch)? i.e.. they were starting their careers a lot older than others, family, money?

Not at all. In fact, being in a military town like Colorado Springs, I think it helped me land my first job (mentioned above). Now I'm doing what a lot of blue suitors have done. I'm basically doing the same job I did when I was active duty, but now I'm doing it as a civil service employee. In fact, its funny how many guys I see around the base that are still here from when we were active duty, but now we're all civilians.

never been to goodfellow but Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX.... well yea.... it's probably similar

Played in a softball tournament there as well (seems like that's all I did when I was stationed in Texas) and you're right second-verse-same-as-the-first. But seriously, neither of those places were/are as bad as Laughlin in Del Rio. Ugh... Del Rio is like Odessa's dirty little brother.

I did 21 years in the Marine Corps and retired a few years ago as a Master Sergeant. I cherish the time I spent in Unifom with some of the finest americans I have ever met. Were it not for having two teenage boys I would've made them kick me out at the 30 year mark, but retired to be thee for them in these challenging years. I, like WVABeach, have a position teaching young Marines and absolutely love the gig. After I retired I worked for a start up company for two years which gave me a great perspective on the business world. As a Marine, I've "been there, done that" and won't post my resume unless someone's interested.

My girlfriend's younger brother is in the Cost Guard Academy. He's there for... I think 8 years required. He can't go home during the summer, or most times of the year to see family. They tell him when to go home. He does earn a nice salary while sitting in the classroom, but he'll always be bouncing around wherever they station him around the US, which I just view as impossible to find a wife or start a family. They pretty much run his life, but pay him for doing so. I just can't help but think he won't be sharing the same life experiences that the every day civilian shares. I think it's great from the standpoint of money, as they take care of him financially from not only going to school for free, but paying him a salary for going. And I'm sure they pay for things (like the rest of you have all said) to set him up for life, but I just don't know if the expense of your life is worth it. It seems like you all got in, got out, and were compensated. But this kid will probably be involved there for the rest of his life.

Anyone have a different perspective? I don't really know what its like, so am I making it out to be worse than it really is?

Yes, you are making it out to be far worse than it really is. I would like to start by adding the disclaimer that the military isn't for everyone, but that it really isn't that much different in some respects than a regular career. After all, doesn't your current boss tell you when to come and go? In the career world re-assignments are often common place for some companies.

Yes, when you enter the military, you give up some autonomy, but that goes with the territory. It is a noble calling and you know you're doing something to help out our nation, which for many is all the job satisfaction they need. You see life is about more than money (for me). It is about getting up in the morning and liking what you see when you look in the mirror.

I could go on and on, but ultimately, why worry about him if he's happy to be doing what he does?

Played in a softball tournament there as well (seems like that's all I did when I was stationed in Texas) and you're right second-verse-same-as-the-first. But seriously, neither of those places were/are as bad as Laughlin in Del Rio. Ugh... Del Rio is like Odessa's dirty little brother.

yikes.....

So, I am bored and just thought I would see how many members of the wall have served in the military. How long were you in, what branch, and anything else you want to add ( did you enjoy it, why did you get out... etc) nothing formal, just trying to change things up a bit, and no I am not a recruiter.... :devil:

I was in the Air Force.....ten years. Served during Desert Shield in Iraq.

I grew up a lot when I got in......a lot of my working talents and attitude came from there.

Saddest day was when they told me I couldnt join the reserves because I had diabetes.......they let you in if you have heart disease....not not diabetes.

I felt like my family had told me to leave the house and not come back. it was wierd.

I'm not sure about the commissioned officer thing, all I know is that he's in a normal college atmosphere where he takes normal college classes such as math and sciences at the naval academy. I know that he gets paid to be in the classroom, but not sure what his regimine outside of the schooling is. During the summer last year they sailed around the US, and this summer he's going to train the newbees on the same thing. He is the type that will stay 20+ years. I believe 24 years is when he hits some sort of retirement/pension thing.

The first 4 years (the scholastic time) is the toughest because it's such a big adjustment. Then he'll have 4 more years when no one will really respect him because he'll be given a title based on going to school and will be in charge of men with a million times more experience. If he keeps his mouth shut and his eyes and ears open, he'll be a much better person for the experience and far, far ahead of anyone who just went to college and then off to a job for 4 years.

As far as his station and family life, from what I understand, they move around quite a bit, are often isolated, and don't typically have the chance to meet or marry outside of the military. I guess I'm just worried that he'll be happy with all the money/friends/experiences now, but as he gets older wish he lived more of a "normal" life outside of the base. I hope that doesnt happen.

I don't know about that. It's pretty easy to meet people outside the military and chics totally dig the uniform. The reason "military-to-military" marriages are more normal is because people around the same age who're both serving tend to understand the sacrifices and are far more mature than their civilian counterparts.

When I was 21 years old I had 15 people working for me and was in charge of over $60,000,000.00 worth of equipment, just to give you a frame of reference.

Thank you to one and all who have or are serving. A medical issue (from birth) disqualified me from even the possibility of service (no it was not dain bramage) so I can't say I know first hand about the sacrifices you make. However, I know there are many that range in impact between tiny and the ultimate. All of you are to be respected and honored for what you (and your families) do.

Guest dog14787
Marine Corps. 8 years in Reserves and Active Duty

Deployed to Iraq in 05

Push, you never cease to amaze me :wallbash:

I'm non military myself, my Dad was a bomb disposal expert in the Korean War. More recently a couple of my beautiful little nieces just joined the Army within the last year and I'm very proud of both of them, worried, but proud.

This is a great idea for a thread, a thread for all of our heroes on TSW and I want to thank all of you and God bless ;)

I joined the air force in 1967 to keep from going to vietnam. Ended up flying 135 combat missions in EC-47's (elint) and have a lot of squadron members on that wall. Got the Distinguished Flying Cross and three Air Medals for valor. So much for keeping out of Viet Nam. Also spent a year in Turkey (loved it) Arctic Survival School at Fairchild AFB WA during Christmas of 1969 (COLD...and I'm from Buffalo!) and jungle survival school outside of Clark AFB Phillipines. All in all a very important growing experience, but glad my kids never had to go through it.

The first 4 years (the scholastic time) is the toughest because it's such a big adjustment. Then he'll have 4 more years when no one will really respect him because he'll be given a title based on going to school and will be in charge of men with a million times more experience. If he keeps his mouth shut and his eyes and ears open, he'll be a much better person for the experience and far, far ahead of anyone who just went to college and then off to a job for 4 years.

I don't know about that. It's pretty easy to meet people outside the military and chics totally dig the uniform. The reason "military-to-military" marriages are more normal is because people around the same age who're both serving tend to understand the sacrifices and are far more mature than their civilian counterparts.

When I was 21 years old I had 15 people working for me and was in charge of over $60,000,000.00 worth of equipment, just to give you a frame of reference.

Firstly, I wrote naval academy, I meant coast guard academy. Sorry for the misinformation, I don't know if that changes your response or if you knew I was just being a douche (easy target there).

Anyway, after the rest of his 4 years, who is he get put in charge of?

Firstly, I wrote naval academy, I meant coast guard academy. Sorry for the misinformation, I don't know if that changes your response or if you knew I was just being a douche (easy target there).

Anyway, after the rest of his 4 years, who is he get put in charge of?

No. He's a douche.

I will add. Thank you for you service, folks. If I want to call people names, I can. Because of you I can, to an extent. If I feel that someone is a Dousche, I can call them that, or something similar to fit the crime.

Again, thank you for your service.

I will add. Thank you for you service, folks. If I want to call people names, I can. Because of you I can, to an extent. If I feel that someone is a Dousche, I can call them that, or something similar to fit the crime.

Again, thank you for your service.

Are you having a conversation with yourself? No one even replied.

Guest dog14787
I joined the air force in 1967 to keep from going to vietnam. Ended up flying 135 combat missions in EC-47's (elint) and have a lot of squadron members on that wall. Got the Distinguished Flying Cross and three Air Medals for valor. So much for keeping out of Viet Nam. Also spent a year in Turkey (loved it) Arctic Survival School at Fairchild AFB WA during Christmas of 1969 (COLD...and I'm from Buffalo!) and jungle survival school outside of Clark AFB Phillipines. All in all a very important growing experience, but glad my kids never had to go through it.

Wow, do we have some impressive Military posters or what, great thread and great folks :wallbash: