Reggie Corner In Line To Fill The NCB Role

H2o

Its good to see all of the CB's doing well, but it really makes me question the signing of Florence, especially to a two year $6.6MM deal. We can pretty much expect Youboty to get hurt at least once, but if Corner can step in, are we really paying our 5th CB $3MM this year?

No, he's getting Will Jamesed in training camp.

I don't think DJ or any coach is going to keep his best players off the field without a valid reason, especially in their second and third season. I think the perception of this is largely due to the constant updates / blogging on how great these young guys are looking in practice, most of which is coming from either Bills staff, or local Buffalo media, who has a vested interest in maintaining their relationship with the Bills staff.

You would not think a coach would keep his best players off the field, but as Ramius said, Dick did just that in the past. Maybe this year if he thinks his job & career is on the line he may play his best players.

I don't understand your question. Is it the fact he played Vets over BETTER young players in the past or that he may feel this is his last shot to salvage his time with the Bills & his career?

I want to know how you have such insight to say that the younger players are better than the veterans he started them over. Even if some rookies might have more talent (e.g. James Hardy) I would disagree that that makes him a better player than say, Josh Reed if Hardy can't tun the right routes, or block to save his life. I'm not saying Reed or Hardy was the better player last year, I'm saying that D. Jauron was in a much better position than you or I to make that decision, and to think that he's sitting his "better" players just because they're young is ludicrous.

Jauron, and any other coach in the league will pretty much always play the players who give them the best chance to win on any given Sunday. And to say that Jauron will play someone with more talent (but who might be a liability) is just stupid now that his job is on the line. He needs to win now, and can't afford young players to cost him games with rookie mistakes.

I want to know how you have such insight to say that the younger players are better than the veterans he started them over. Even if some rookies might have more talent (e.g. James Hardy) I would disagree that that makes him a better player than say, Josh Reed if Hardy can't tun the right routes, or block to save his life. I'm not saying Reed or Hardy was the better player last year, I'm saying that D. Jauron was in a much better position than you or I to make that decision, and to think that he's sitting his "better" players just because they're young is ludicrous.

Jauron, and any other coach in the league will pretty much always play the players who give them the best chance to win on any given Sunday. And to say that Jauron will play someone with more talent (but who might be a liability) is just stupid now that his job is on the line. He needs to win now, and can't afford young players to cost him games with rookie mistakes.

I think the argument is more along the lines that Jauron puts too much emphasis on experience when he is evaluating which players to put in the game. It's not that he doesn't want to win, but his risk-averse nature causes him to stick with the guy who is reliable vs. a guy who may have more upside. The prime example would be, as mentioned earlier, trotting Anthony Thomas out there while Fred Jackson sits on the bench. It's an example that shows that Jauron would rather put in a guy who is obviously completely shot but who he trusts rather than a young player who actually has NFL legs but might make a mistake or two due to youth.

Having said that, that's really the only example I can think of, so it's far from definitive. It fits with what we see of his personality, though.

I have no problem with taking experience into account, if the veteran is a guy who belongs on the football field. In your example of Reed vs. Hardy, I think anyone would have a hard time making the case that Hardy deserved to be playing over Reed.

As for where this might apply this year, hard to say. Maybe at DE this year? It'll be interesting to see how quickly Maybin gets into the rotation, and whether Ellis is called on this year if the DE play is as bad as it was last year.

Yoboughty played very solidly before he was injured last year. If he can stay healthy he would likely be the choice for nickle.

Youboty has the size and skill set to play on the outside. I would think that if he is in the Bills future plans it to eventually play on the outside opposite McKelvin.

On Florence: Last year, when Youboty went down, our defense suffered tremendously because no one else could play the inside corner position effectively. It is different than playing with a sideline and some players just aren't effective in the middle. I like having two guys now who are comfortable and can make plays at the nickel spot. Also, while I'm sure the Bills have faith in Corner's ability and potential, it would have been foolish to assume he would improve and be ready for a starting position.

The secondary now has two guys who have proved they can play all three corners spots in McGee and Youboty. Another guy who has proved he can excel at the nickel position(Florence). A player who looks to have serious playmaking ability in McKelvin and another player who may be better than the veteran originally signed to play the nickel. That is pretty good news. Not to mention this Cary Harris guy they drafted who looks to have some pretty good ability that could develop over time.

I think the argument is more along the lines that Jauron puts too much emphasis on experience when he is evaluating which players to put in the game. It's not that he doesn't want to win, but his risk-averse nature causes him to stick with the guy who is reliable vs. a guy who may have more upside. The prime example would be, as mentioned earlier, trotting Anthony Thomas out there while Fred Jackson sits on the bench. It's an example that shows that Jauron would rather put in a guy who is obviously completely shot but who he trusts rather than a young player who actually has NFL legs but might make a mistake or two due to youth.

Having said that, that's really the only example I can think of, so it's far from definitive. It fits with what we see of his personality, though.

I have no problem with taking experience into account, if the veteran is a guy who belongs on the football field. In your example of Reed vs. Hardy, I think anyone would have a hard time making the case that Hardy deserved to be playing over Reed.

As for where this might apply this year, hard to say. Maybe at DE this year? It'll be interesting to see how quickly Maybin gets into the rotation, and whether Ellis is called on this year if the DE play is as bad as it was last year.

You make some good points, but I think what consistently gets lost in discussions like these is that Jauron is evaluating these guys 7 days a week. If he thinks someone is not ready, I have a hard time disagreeing with him, especially when it's his job on the line.

You make some good points, but I think what consistently gets lost in discussions like these is that Jauron is evaluating these guys 7 days a week. If he thinks someone is not ready, I have a hard time disagreeing with him, especially when it's his job on the line.

Fair enough, but there are many many highly-paid "experts" in lots of fields who screw up in one way or another. And Jauron's career 7-9 W-L average doesn't inspire me to put a huge amount of faith in his judgment.