Attn: soccer fans (just wait 'til next year!)

Cugalabanza

It's difficult to explain in words, but I would say that it was more free flowing attacking brand of soccer, more flair, pizazz, higher skillset, with defenders included in the attack. Many beautiful, individual moves, great low crosses into the middle.

Where as today, they are more organized defensively, seem to be playing a more structured style of soccer, that encourages discipline in the back.

Don't get me wrong, the skillset is still probably the highest in the world, and they do play with lots of flair, but maybe not as much as what we had seen before. Also, I do believe that this Brazilian team looks awesome, what they had maybe lost in pizazz they have compensated in discipline, so I do still consider them in the top 2-3 in the world.

Well said!

I was struggling with how to try to describe it. And I'm no expert, so a lot of what I perceive is clouded by what others say and my own imagination. I was thinking that it was a certain Magic Johnson quality of creative playmaking, made to look effortless and usually with big smiles on their faces. Specifically players like Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho (why is he missing from this team? Is he injured?). Also, I have these amazing images of Pele bouncing around in my head that add to the mystique I think.

I agree that Brazil is as capable as ever. I just don't see them smiling too much anymore.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficult to explain in words, but I would say that it was more free flowing attacking brand of soccer, more flair, pizazz, higher skillset, with defenders included in the attack. Many beautiful, individual moves, great low crosses into the middle.

Where as today, they are more organized defensively, seem to be playing a more structured style of soccer, that encourages discipline in the back.

Don't get me wrong, the skillset is still probably the highest in the world, and they do play with lots of flair, but maybe not as much as what we had seen before. Also, I do believe that this Brazilian team looks awesome, what they had maybe lost in pizazz they have compensated in discipline, so I do still consider them in the top 2-3 in the world.

Also, I read how you believed it was pure luck the 2nd goal we scored, and I do agree that there was some luck involved, I would say what played a huge contributing part to that goal was how we counterattacked very rapidly from the back, it took their defense by surprise, there was a very nice pass that allowed Donovan plenty of time to decide whether he was going to shoot or pass the ball, and if you look at the replay, Altidore made a very nice run to the middle of the box in which if the ball was fed to him he would of been open for a shot, and not only that Dempseys attacking run to the back of the goal is what allowed him to be in position for that goal.

If we hadn't attacked them so swiftly on that counterattack, their defense would of been in a better position to clear that ball. That's what happens when you attack quickly, it puts defenders in positions that they shouldn't be, and we capitalized on it.

They were able to play a more free flowing style when they had Roberto Carlos and Cafu on the flanks. Not nearly as free flowing now that they're wingers are not in the same league as they once were.

Good win by the USA, but Landon Donovan is still a candy ass B word.

I've got to ask, was this a real win or a, "everyone-let-the-handicapped-kid-shoot-the-ball-oh-crap-he-actually-made-it" kind of win?

I've got to ask, was this a real win or a, "everyone-let-the-handicapped-kid-shoot-the-ball-oh-crap-he-actually-made-it" kind of win?

Real win.

Doesn't mean you should start to expect more from the national side...but very few mistakes in this one and the team defense looked organized

unlike the loss to Coasta Rica a few weeks ago.

I'm not a Donovan fan either, and if not for the fact that I was DAMN psyched about that win the other day, I would have called him out for being a kitty for not taking that shot.

As to your second question, it was real. Damn real.

Well to my untrained eyes it is tempting to blame prevent defense. But my superior soccer-knowledge friends are saying Brazil is just that much better. They're probably right - it's not like we dominated the 1st half even.

Will FIFA find a way to inexplicably seed us lower than Mexico for the World Cup again?

Oh well, good performance overall. Plus it's only soccer. Boy do I wish I could shrug of Bills losses like that!

Big time heartbreaker. Overall, a very good tournament for the U.S. though. Lots of positives. Second place in a tournament like this is no joke. Awesome experience for these players.

Agreed. I was shocked when the USA got to the finals, and more shocked when they went up 2-0. A valiant effort, but just not enough.

The noise from those freaking horns is completely obnoxious, I must say. I'm glad I don't have to watch too much soccer from South Africa.

Quick question to long-time knowledgeable soccer fans. Why is it that Italy, a national team that performs fairly well in the World Cup, and at least OK in the European Cup, never even seems to quality for the Confederations Cup? Is it simply coincidence or do the star players not bother to play, or play all out, in this tourney? Maybe it is for other reasons. Any insight is appreciated.

Hi, My name is poojer....I watched some of the first half of the soccer game today.......

must admit, i was rooting for them despite my not caring one iota about the sport....just supportin' the home team

And USA can't hold on in the end, just like every other team I've ever rooted for.

Does anyone else feel like the team they want to win.. never does?

Yes. I know exactly what you mean.

The first half was inspiring.

The second half was what happens to teams I support (or so it seems).

There is no question that Brazil is much better, but it would have been nice to win that game.