Joel Bell and Bills FO record with UDFA

zazie

Seems that the Bills have a good record of spotting undrafted players. Leonhard, Peters, Rashard Baker, last years starting safety Greer, etc. Maybe, Bell really showed he was missing something NFL worthy. Giving the FO benefit of the doubt, lets hope retrospect in a couple years bears me out.

Has anyone even picked him up yet? I don't think so.

I would think that the Bills have amongst the best record in the league considering UDFA over the last 5-10 years, if not the very best. What fans seem to ignore is the fact that all teams sign about 20-30 of these guys over the course of the year and if one or two of them make your roster, you're doing well. Just jumping all over one player is just pure guesswork even if four years from now you're proven right.

It's like these hunches people have, and they say "I KNEW that was gonna happen! I told you!" That may well have been true, but they also had 30 other similar hunches espoused in that time period that didn't come true.

What he said. :nana:

I think it's great when UDFA make a pro team. I was an early fan of Joel Bell. They all don't make it that is why you sign a bunch of them. What is the big deal?

I think believing a player will make it and wanting a player to make it can be different things. I really wanted Joel Bell to succeed because he had great size for a LT prospect. I also wanted Nance to succeed due to his size as well. Sometimes you can have both. Most of the time I want a player to succeed. I'll take the opinions of people who have seen him play a little more seriously and think he will succeed.

I think believing a player will make it and wanting a player to make it can be different things. I really wanted Joel Bell to succeed because he had great size for a LT prospect. I also wanted Nance to succeed due to his size as well. Sometimes you can have both. Most of the time I want a player to succeed. I'll take the opinions of people who have seen him play a little more seriously and think he will succeed.

Agreed. For me, personally, I want every player that ever steps on the field in any way wearing a Bills helmet on to succeed and become a future HOFer. I hope for that; I follow them; I try to find the good in what they do; I look forward to seeing their success. If and when they don't make it, ala Bell, I readily wish them well and move on to the next new guy. In my mind, that's what being a fan is all about. Always hoping for the best, even though you may know there's little to no chance for success.