NFL Network Top Ten Innovations

Um, yeah, that pretty much covers it.

Except for the fact that the Bengals' version -- the "sugar" huddle in particular -- was willfully designed to catch the defense with too many men on the field if they tried to substitute. That's why Levy complained to the league, and he was right. The K-Gun didn't need chicanery; with three Hall of Famers (and counting) on the field, they merely ran the defense ragged.

Oh, and <bleep> Boomer. One of my favorite Bruce Smith sacks was a decleater on Norman, after he'd moved on to the Jets.

My first Bills game! I thought he killed him, he was down for nearly 15 minutes as I remember...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

couldnt disagree more with that statement...did you even watch Jim Kelly play

Peyton is more of a physical specimen than kelly. not a statement about kelly's toughness...he was tough as nails. but peyton is more physical...physically talented than kelly. is what it is

Anthony Phillips intercepted Kelly's pass breaking a 172 interception-free streak (to those who think that must be close to a NFL, not even close - Jeff George had a 279 interception-free streak end in previous year and that isn't even the record) near goal line and went to near midfield for 43 yards before Jim Kelly tracked him down, tackled him snapping his leg and then stepped on the leg as it went sideways.

By the way attendance at the game was only 62,690

I wasn't there, but was coming home from a weekend in D.C. and was dricing past the stadium on the 219 and listening on the radio when it happened.

Two plays always remind me of the difference between a QB like Kelly and a passer like Marino. For Kelly, it's the Phillips play ... for Marino, it was a game against the Jets that I was watching. Marino threw a pick and the DB ran right past Marino and he just stood there and didn't try and make the tackle.