Letterman: What happened to him?

Growing up in the 80's I watched Letterman all the time. Although in the last 10 years I haven't watched very often, when I do I see a completely different, unfunny, far left leaning shell of his former self. What happened to him? Was he always like this and I just didn't realize it?

BTW: It isn't a left/right thing for me. I like Bill Maher and watch show all the time. With him you know what you're in for, and he does crack on pretty much everyone anyways....

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe your sense of humor changed over the past decade....

I thought everyone loved a good rape joke at the expense of a 14 year old!

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/...-in-poor-taste/

His backtracking is much funnier than the joke itself. He is now claiming that he was talking about the 18 year old daughter (that wasn't even at the game). What a jackass.

Edit: Political crap removed. Sorry

His backtracking is much funnier than the joke itself. He is now claiming that he was talking about the 18 year old daughter (that wasn't even at the game). What a jackass.

There is LESS THAN ZERO chance Letterman was talking about the 14 year-old daughter getting pregnant, regardless of who was at the game with Sarah. None, zip, zero, impossible. It's self-evident he was joking about the 18 year old who was already pregnant and yet going around talking about abstinence while holding her baby, and the person he has been joking about for quite some time.

Bad joke and poor taste? Sure. NO chance he was talking about the 14 year-old. Sorry.

There is LESS THAN ZERO chance Letterman was talking about the 14 year-old daughter getting pregnant, regardless of who was at the game with Sarah. None, zip, zero, impossible. It's self-evident he was joking about the 18 year old who was already pregnant and yet going around talking about abstinence while holding her baby, and the person he has been joking about for quite some time.

Bad joke and poor taste? Sure. NO chance he was talking about the 14 year-old. Sorry.

So he references the fact that Sarah Palin and her daughter went to the Yankees game, jokes about ARod impregnating said daughter during the seventh inning stretch, but now wants everyone to believe he was talking about the daughter that was not at the Yankees game. Either he is really stupid and failed to do an ounce of research before his show, or thought anything goes because it was the evil Palins. Either way he should have apologized instead of giving a half ass explanation and offering to have them on his show to boost his sagging ratings.

I rarely watch any of the talkies any more, but if I do, Letterman is stiill the best, IMO. Jimmy Kimmel has his moments, and Conan can be funny, but his interview segments are still excruiating after all these years...

So he references the fact that Sarah Palin and her daughter went to the Yankees game, jokes about ARod impregnating said daughter during the seventh inning stretch, but now wants everyone to believe he was talking about the daughter that was not at the Yankees game. Either he is really stupid and failed to do an ounce of research before his show, or thought anything goes because it was the evil Palins. Either way he should have apologized instead of giving a half ass explanation and offering to have them on his show to boost his sagging ratings.

The guy has about 14 writers on his show that do the jokes in the monologue although he is responsible for what goes on the air and out of his mouth. I would bet you a million dollars they were just reckless and stupid, and didn't know which daughter was there. It wasn't a good joke and was in pretty bad taste, simply because usually children of politicians are considered off limits. But Bristol Palin is 18 and has made herself a public figure along with her moron ex-beau, and Letterman has been joking about her along with a million other comedians. That's why Letterman and the show likely thinks she is fair game. There is NO FUKKING WAY they are joking about a 14 year old.

Why should he apologize anyway? Like he said, he's been offending people for decades. His crime was that it was a cheap joke and just not funny.

The guy has about 14 writers on his show that do the jokes in the monologue although he is responsible for what goes on the air and out of his mouth. I would bet you a million dollars they were just reckless and stupid, and didn't know which daughter was there. It wasn't a good joke and was in pretty bad taste, simply because usually children of politicians are considered off limits. But Bristol Palin is 18 and has made herself a public figure along with her moron ex-beau, and Letterman has been joking about her along with a million other comedians. That's why Letterman and the show likely thinks she is fair game. There is NO FUKKING WAY they are joking about a 14 year old.

Why should he apologize anyway? Like he said, he's been offending people for decades. His crime was that it was a cheap joke and just not funny.

He is certainly free to stick to his guns with regards to the joke, and people are free to think he is an ass for doing that. I guess my point would be that Letterman is a shell of the guy that I remember watching ten years ago. I used to like him, now I find him unwatchable.

What do you think the outcry would be like if Rush or Hannity made a joke about Obama's underage daughter getting impregnated by a 35 year old man?

You're a tard.

I rarely watch any of the talkies any more, but if I do, Letterman is stiill the best, IMO. Jimmy Kimmel has his moments, and Conan can be funny, but his interview segments are still excruiating after all these years...

:doh:

He is certainly free to stick to his guns with regards to the joke, and people are free to think he is an ass for doing that. I guess my point would be that Letterman is a shell of the guy that I remember watching ten years ago. I used to like him, now I find him unwatchable.

Apparently, you've got progressively less funny and have lost any semblance of a sense of humor over the last decade or so. :doh:

Spin crap? He made a joke about a young girl being impregnated at the Yankees game. How is that spin. I would think any parent would be upset if that happened to their child regardless of political leanings. Is it the end of the world? Obviously not. Should he be sincerely apologetic instead of trying to turn it into a guest apearance. Yep.

Except that a daughter did get pregnant while she was a teen ...

Remember 25 years ago when David Letterman was called "irreverent"?

Now he's 62, and with age, irreverence turns into crankiness.

What Letterman is guilty of here is jokes made in bad taste, which I always thought he tried to sidestep. Guess it goes along with his being cranky.

Political humor has never been his strong suit. Go back to the "Late Night" years, and you see that David Letterman has always been best when he's doing observational humor.

Political humor has never been his strong suit. Go back to the "Late Night" years, and you see that David Letterman has always been best when he's doing observational hummer. ( I assume you mean humor! I haven't been watching, but I don't think you can do that on network TV)[/quote]

I agree, apparently that means I have no sense of humor any more.

Political humor has never been his strong suit. Go back to the "Late Night" years, and you see that David Letterman has always been best when he's doing observational hummer.

I didn't know he was gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). And how exactly did you see him do this?

Can't watch youtube at work, but thanks for your typical eloquent and tactful response.

I hate to agree with Steely, but the link you provided has same exact clip of Letterman justifying his joke, and elaborating that he would never pick on the 14 yr old daughter. Besides in the clip you link, CNN mentioned that a comedian doesn't have to have the joke be 100% factual. Sure the Palins were at Yankmee Stadium, but Bristol wasn't there and Willow was (what fugging stupid names), but it was a relatively crappy joke that the mental midget Palin overreacted about.