Teams drafting 1-12 in 09

Each of these teams has very different situations, although the common denominator is missing the playoffs. For SEA and GB, they are one year removed from being playoff teams, as is JAC. The other nine have had issues for some time now, as evidenced by 7 of those teams making major management changes.

1. Detroit-fired COO/GM Matt Millen and HC Rod Marinelli. Replaced with Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz.

2. St. Louis-new GM in Billy Devaney and hired Steve Spagnuolo as HC to replace Jim Haslett who replaced Scott Linehan.

3. Kansas City-new GM in Scott Pioli and HC with Todd Haley. Replaced Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards.

4. Seattle-playoffs in 07, ravaged by injury in 08. Holmgren retired and replaced with Jim Mora Jr.

5. originally Cleveland-fired HC Romeo Crennel and GM Phil Savage. Replaced with Eric Mangini and George Kokinis

6. Cincinnati-Owner Mike Brown acts as GM. No changes.

7. Oakland-Owner Al Davis acts as GM. Retained Tom Cable as HC.

8. Jacksonville-fired James "Shack" Harris as VP of Pro Personnel. Replaced with Gene Smith

9. Green Bay-no changes. Ted Thompson remains as GM and Mike McCarthy as HC. NFC Title game participants in 07.

10. San Fran-fired HC Mike Nolan during season and replaced with Mike Singletary.

11. Buffalo-no changes

12. Denver-fired HC/quasi-GM Mike Shanahan and replaced with Josh McDaniels. Also named Brian Xanders GM.

Cincinnati and Oakland are run by their owners, and thus operate on different wavelengths. It could be argued Buffalo is closer to these franchises in management and on-field results.

The Bills have really hitched their wagon to Brandon as GM. But if Buffalo falters, and it's super early (June!) it is time to look at finding a GM versed in personnel with a solid track record. It goes without saying the front office would need to be nuked and a new HC found. Again, there is a lot riding on this season, being that it's DJ's fourth as HC and Brandon's 2nd as GM.

Each of these teams has very different situations, although the common denominator is missing the playoffs. For SEA and GB, they are one year removed from being playoff teams, as is JAC. The other nine have had issues for some time now, as evidenced by 7 of those teams making major management changes.

1. Detroit-fired COO/GM Matt Millen and HC Rod Marinelli. Replaced with Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz.

2. St. Louis-new GM in Billy Devaney and hired Steve Spagnuolo as HC to replace Jim Haslett who replaced Scott Linehan.

3. Kansas City-new GM in Scott Pioli and HC with Todd Haley. Replaced Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards.

4. Seattle-playoffs in 07, ravaged by injury in 08. Holmgren retired and replaced with Jim Mora Jr.

5. originally Cleveland-fired HC Romeo Crennel and GM Phil Savage. Replaced with Eric Mangini and George Kokinis

6. Cincinnati-Owner Mike Brown acts as GM. No changes.

7. Oakland-Owner Al Davis acts as GM. Retained Tom Cable as HC.

8. Jacksonville-fired James "Shack" Harris as VP of Pro Personnel. Replaced with Gene Smith

9. Green Bay-no changes. Ted Thompson remains as GM and Mike McCarthy as HC. NFC Title game participants in 07.

10. San Fran-fired HC Mike Nolan during season and replaced with Mike Singletary.

11. Buffalo-no changes

12. Denver-fired HC/quasi-GM Mike Shanahan and replaced with Josh McDaniels. Also named Brian Xanders GM.

Cincinnati and Oakland are run by their owners, and thus operate on different wavelengths. It could be argued Buffalo is closer to these franchises in management and on-field results.

The Bills have really hitched their wagon to Brandon as GM. But if Buffalo falters, and it's super early (June!) it is time to look at finding a GM versed in personnel with a solid track record. It goes without saying the front office would need to be nuked and a new HC found. Again, there is a lot riding on this season, being that it's DJ's fourth as HC and Brandon's 2nd as GM.

Jacksonville fired their VP of pro player personnel and you listed that, and yet you aren't willing to list the hiring of Buddy Nix for Buffalo, and the new o-line coach? Not fair or neutral, IMHO.

By looking at draft position, you are looking at results of one year, last year, and when that doesn't work out for you (Green Bay was #9 but made no changes, then you put in exculpatory factors. You are not being neutral here. Some of those teams thought that it was time to blow the team up. Others thought that their coaches and FOs deserved one more year. That is Buffalo's situation.

IMHO, you don't get rid of a GM after two years, though. GMs should really be given three or four years to prove themselves. I didn't like the selection of Russ and still think he has made some mistakes (trading Peters, not getting an LT to replace him and not getting Tinoisamoa or someone to replace Ellison being three of the biggest). But overall, I think these last two drafts look (and yes, it's early, but ...) excellent.

We still seem to have issues with bringing in enough FAs, but our drafts look good. Barring LT, our young o-line and our young safeties and Ellison, we seem to have improved, and put Jauron in a reasonable position to succeed if he is good enough.

Good original post with good short term data and interpretation of that data. I agree that the Bills are more like the Raiders and Bengals than any of the other teams. All three teams are small market and have been run as family businesses instead of large corporations. I also agree with Thurman's statement that Brandon is safe for this year regardless of results, but I do think, like many, that Jauron is in a tenuous situation. I agree with Boone that Brandon is part of the consensus of decision makers regarding personnel and that he doesn't have dictatorial powers in the Bills' front office.

Finally I'd add that if Brandon does ultimately fail as GM that I could see him being kicked upstairs back into a marketing position where his core competency lies. Ralph has a long history of keeping guys in the organization who have served him well, even if they've failed at their latest and highest position.

Good original post with good short term data and interpretation of that data. I agree that the Bills are more like the Raiders and Bengals than any of the other teams. All three teams are small market and have been run as family businesses instead of large corporations. I also agree with Thurman's statement that Brandon is safe for this year regardless of results, but I do think, like many, that Jauron is in a tenuous situation. I agree with Boone that Brandon is part of the consensus of decision makers regarding personnel and that he doesn't have dictatorial powers in the Bills' front office.

Finally I'd add that if Brandon does ultimately fail as GM that I could see him being kicked upstairs back into a marketing position where his core competency lies. Ralph has a long history of keeping guys in the organization who have served him well, even if they've failed at their latest and highest position.

Certainly Brandon isn't on a short leash, but if he's going to be the GM he should have the powers that the position have. I'd agree on DJ, who out of the "inner-circle" of RW, Littman, Brandon, and Modrak, reportedly only received 2 votes to keep.

The best organizations have a GM with strong powers. There are two exceptions, PHI and NE, who have strong HC's with a solid track record of finding and developing talent. The individual serving upstairs (Floyd Reese in NE and Tom Heckert in PHI) are also very strong.

It's ironic that so many teams make changes and Buffalo continues with the status quo. I'm not even sure a bad season would change much more than the HC. And even that's not certain.

Teams that drafted 1-12 overwhelminly made changes??? Now that is a surprise. Don't they usually? When a team sucks, they usually select 1-12... ya know... reverse order of finish?. And when they suck, the hammer drops.

As for Brandon... he's exceeded expectations in his area of expertise. As long as Ralph's around, Brandon walks on water and can do no wrong. Ralph ain't in it to win, he's in it to turn a buck. And, as evidenced by 52K season tix sold (and counting) for a team that's stuck on 7-9 and the worst team in the division, Brandon has generated a lot of coin for Ralph without significantly improving the team to keep on par with the other teams in the division. Yeah, Russ can sell ice in the Arctic Circle... he certainly turned water into wine this time. It ain't his fault he inherited a loser coach. Worse case... when they miss the playoffs again this year, Russ gets to bring in a real HC.