5 preseason games for Bills this year-

Not sure if you realized or not, but because of the Bills playing in the Hall of Fame game this year, that they will play an extra (so 5 preseason games) this year. Only Tenn and Buffalo will play 5, everyone else will play 4.

Does this help our team at all, especially our starting team offense? Or does this hurt us because there is now an extra chance for injury?

My opinion is, if our coaching staff uses this "extra game" correctly, if could benefit our whole team. In theory we should be fine tuning our offense by our 3 and 4th games, when other teams should be still getting the wrinkles out. Especially a team like the NYJ, who have new coaches and a new QB.

The final preseason game should also help get a better look at some of the back up players who are just trying to make the final roster cut-

What do you guys think? Does it matter or not

This is the Bills Pre-season schedule

Wk Date Game Stadium Time (ET)

HOF Aug 09 BUF @ TEN Fawcett Stadium 8:00 PM

P1 Aug 15 CHI @ BUF Ralph Wilson Stadium 7:00 PM

P2 Aug 22 BUF @ GB Lambeau Field 8:00 PM

P3 Aug 29 BUF @ PIT Heinz Field 7:30 PM

P4 Sep 03 DET @ BUF Ralph Wilson Stadium 6:30 PM

It can't be bad for getting our rooks experience, that's for sure! Wood, Levitre, Byrd, and Maybin should all greatly benefit.

HOWEVER, as thrilled as I am for the opportunities these guys will get before showtime, I'm more concerned with the potential for injuries.

Not sure if you realized or not, but because of the Bills playing in the Hall of Fame game this year, that they will play an extra (so 5 preseason games) this year. Only Tenn and Buffalo will play 5, everyone else will play 4.

Does this help our team at all, especially our starting team offense? Or does this hurt us because there is now an extra chance for injury?

My opinion is, if our coaching staff uses this "extra game" correctly, if could benefit our whole team. In theory we should be fine tuning our offense by our 3 and 4th games, when other teams should be still getting the wrinkles out. Especially a team like the NYJ, who have new coaches and a new QB.

The final preseason game should also help get a better look at some of the back up players who are just trying to make the final roster cut-

Preseason games are useless. Five is beyond stupid. It might benefit the Bills with so many new players starting and making contributions off the bench, but I am of the belief that NFL teams should play zero preseason games. Start training camp a month later and after the final cuts, start the regular season. The first month of the season may be a little sloppy, but at least the players can get an extra month off to rest up their bodies, the fans won't have to waster their hard earned money on meaningless exhibition games, and there will of course be less injuries during the training camp / preseason game time.

Yeah, I think most here know that whomever plays in the HOF game plays 5 pre-season games. I think it may be good for the bubble players, as it will give them more time to impress. But I don't know how much it will do for the rest of the team. The O line definitely could use the extra work, and they may get a few more reps in games 2,3 & 4 than usual. But pre-season game plans are so vanilla, teams just want to avoid injuries more than anything...

It can't be bad for getting our rooks experience, that's for sure! Wood, Levitre, Byrd, and Maybin should all greatly benefit.

HOWEVER, as thrilled as I am for the opportunities these guys will get before showtime, I'm more concerned with the potential for injuries.

I'm not big on the 5 games, but this may be the one year it actually helps the Bills more than it hurts, because of the rookie situation. Of course, one big injury would totally eliminate any advantage.

That's my thinking exactly. It will be big for the O-line to have an extra game to gel as a unit. They need to be on the same page, especially if we are really going to incorporate a good amount of no huddle come regular season. Just gonna keep my fingers crossed each game with the injuries...

That's my thinking exactly. It will be big for the O-line to have an extra game to gel as a unit. They need to be on the same page, especially if we are really going to incorporate a good amount of no huddle come regular season. Just gonna keep my fingers crossed each game with the injuries...

Yeah, although re-thinking the situation, I'm also wondering how the rooks will cope with 21 games. It could be a lot to ask.

I'm not big on the 5 games, but this may be the one year it actually helps the Bills more than it hurts, because of the rookie situation. Of course, one big injury would totally eliminate any advantage.

Exactly.

Where we have talent we lack depth, and where we lack talent...well we're already doing a lot to cover up those areas, but an injury of any kind to any of the of the following players would severely handicap the Bills in 2009:

1. Stroud
  2. Schobel
  3. Edwards
  4. Walker/Butler
  5. Evans
  6. Owens

Guest dog14787
The lines need time to gel, so based on everyone staying healthy it's great.

Plus the no huddle can be practiced on real opponents, I just wonder how much of the no huddle should be exposed before regular season.

Yeah, although re-thinking the situation, I'm also wondering how the rooks will cope with 21 games. It could be a lot to ask.

True, but in reality with the amount of playing time they'll get each game, it may only amount to an extra 2-3 games when all is said and done. It will still reach the 20+ games mark come playoff time, though. :D

Exactly.

Where we have talent we lack depth, and where we lack talent...well we're already doing a lot to cover up those areas, but an injury of any kind to any of the of the following players would severely handicap the Bills in 2009:

1. Stroud
  2. Schobel
  3. Edwards
  4. Walker/Butler
  5. Evans
  6. Owens

What about Wood or Levitre to that list? It may just be the pessimist in me, but I have a dreaded feeling that sometime this season we'll hear the dreaded ACL tear/ankle/arm/rotator cuff "placed on IR" from one of the two....

What about Wood or Levitre to that list? It may just be the pessimist in me, but I have a dreaded feeling that sometime this season we'll hear the dreaded ACL tear/ankle/arm/rotator cuff "placed on IR" from one of the two....

If we make it though week 8 with all our starters still in tact, I'll eat my shoe.

True, but in reality with the amount of playing time they'll get each game, it may only amount to an extra 2-3 games when all is said and done. It will still reach the 20+ games mark come playoff time, though. :D

Yeah, that's true. They might as well get used to having to win 19 in a row when it counts!!

Exactly.

1. Stroud
  2. Schobel
  3. Edwards
  4. Walker/Butler
  5. Evans
  6. Owens

Agreed, unless that is in an order of importance. If so I would have Edwards with To immediately behind, followed up Walker, Schobel.

my problem with posts that open with questions like these is that the answer usually comes up as: maybe. and since we're dealing with the preseason, then the answer is most certainly ... um ... perhaps.

jw

ADD: but if you folks can knock out 3-4 pages out of this topic, as i'm sure the potential is there, then go for it.

We have covered this in about 20 other threads, but to restate my opinion is "good thing", the O line needs the reps.

BIG plus is they are mostly 3-4 defenses so maybe TE and Turk can figure it out before the opener (good luck).