Who Out Of The 2009 Draft Will Be The Biggest Busts?

First Round Projected Busts 1-16  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the first 16 picks will be busts for their careers?

• Lions Matthew Stafford QB
    • Rams Jason Smith OT
    • Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE
    • Seahawks Aaron Curry OLB
    • Jets Mark Sanchez QB
    • Bengals Andre Smith OT
    • Raiders Darrius Heyward-Bey WR
    • Jaguars Eugene Monroe OT
    • Packers B.J. Raji DT
    • 49ers Michael Crabtree WR
    • Bills Aaron Maybin DE
    • Broncos Knowshon Moreno RB
    • Redskins Brian Orakpo DE
    • Saints Malcolm Jenkins CB
    • Texans Brian Cushing OLB
    • Chargers Larry English DE
  2. 2. First Round Projected Busts 17-32

• 17 Buccaneers Josh Freeman QB
    • 18 Broncos Robert Ayers LB
    • 19 Eagles Jeremy Maclin WR
    • 20 Lions Brandon Pettigrew TE
    • 21 Browns Alex Mack C
    • 22 Vikings Percy Harvin WR
    • 23 Ravens Michael Oher OT
    • 24 Falcons Peria Jerry DT
    • 25 Dolphins Vontae Davis CB
    • 26 Packers Clay Matthews OLB
    • 27 Colts Donald Brown RB
    • 28 Bills Eric Wood C
    • 29 Giants Hakeem Nicks WR
    • 30 Titans Kenny Britt WR
    • 31 Cardinals Chris Wells RB
    • 32 Steelers Evander Hood DT

Since the most choices a poll can have is 20 I've split the votes between the first 16 and last 16.

Have fun and defend your choices, please.

For choices 1-16 I'm picking Brian Cushing. He was taken off the field often on third downs in college. He has a myriad of injuries in his history. I normally won't count injuries as a reason for a guy to bust unless they have a history going into the draft. I'm guessing he'll be out of the league in three years.

My second choice for 1-16 is Darrius Heyward-Bey. The first reason is Al Davis drafted him. The next reason is he seems more like a track star than a receiver. Davis goes gaga over speed and it blinds him to some negatives that would make a slower receiver a third round pick. JMO

For choices 17-32 it's a coin flip between Robert Ayers, who I think a lot of people have overrated and Michael Oher who I think will have too many distractions in the next couple of years. After the flip of the coin it comes down to Robert Ayers.

Ayers has only 8 career sacks coming into the NFL. For a guy who is listed as a possible DE that's not very impressive. He's also listed as a possible DT and I don't see him excelling in the NFL at the position. I think he'll be easily fooled by the offenses and will be taken advantage of and pushed around by NFL OL. Just a guy I have a gut feeling about.

Having said that, he'll probably be a HOF. My gut reactions have a poor record.

Andre Smith for the obvious reasons in the top 16.

Josh Freeman in the bottom 16. See if this sounds familiar...a mobile QB in college with a rocket arm whose team had a mediocre, at best, record. Very inconsistent in college.

What are the obvious reasons?

Freeman has a lot of votes. I don't know a lot about him so I guess I should learn more.

Freeman has a lot of votes. I don't know a lot about him so I guess I should learn more.

I know this much about him, The Bucs HC was the DC on the team he played for & fell in love with him. Gruden also loved him & the Bucs would have probably drafted him even if Gruden were still the Coach. I voted Orakpo & Oher

From the research I just did it sounds like most of his problems are correctable. If TB is willing to sit him for a couple of years first he could turn out great. However, I doubt they do that and throw him in right away and that will probably be a big problem for him.

I have to go with Stafford, knowing this isn't fair to him. The Detroit Lions are awful and haven't shown the ability to get better. Stafford without protection (like anyone without protection) will be a bust. I'm also factoring the unrealistically high expectations of being a first round pick. This isn't fair to the player..but life isn't fair.

Andre Smith for the obvious reasons in the top 16.

Josh Freeman in the bottom 16. See if this sounds familiar...a mobile QB in college with a rocket arm whose team had a mediocre, at best, record. Very inconsistent in college.

A huge difference is Freeman played in one of the elite conferences in football while our former 1st rounder played in Conference USA. That's a big difference. I think if they don't rush Freeman, he will be a pretty good QB.

I think Sanchez is going to be a bust. Not Ryan Leaf like, but just another average QB and no better than Ratliff, who they traded to get him.

and it's tough to really say a last 1st rounder will be a bust because it's kinda of a crapshot. If I had to pick, i'd go with Vontae Davis. He was nothing special in college, has attitude issues, and is known for haven't bad footwork. I'm looking forward to a Lee Evans-Vontae Davis matchup.

I have to go with Stafford, knowing this isn't fair to him. The Detroit Lions are awful and haven't shown the ability to get better. Stafford without protection (like anyone without protection) will be a bust. I'm also factoring the unrealistically high expectations of being a first round pick. This isn't fair to the player..but life isn't fair.

All three first round QB's aren't year one starters, IMO, but I think all three will be thrown to the wolves early. I heard somewhere that QB's who come out after their junior seasons have a high bust rate in the NFL.

Great topic.

I'm going with Heyward-Bey and Orakpo (a/k/a "No-sack-po") for the top 16.

Heyward-Bey because I have my doubts as to weather he's capable of operating in an NFL offense, and because I think Al Davis will force Tom Cable's hand in not only starting him too early, but also in starting JaMarcus Russell instead of Jeff Garcia.

Orakpo because I think he lacks a great 1st step, doesn't bring his 'A' game consistently, and has a tendancy to disappear for long stretches.

In the back half I'll go with Chris Wells and Robert Ayers.

Wells because--although he is immensely talented--he's a guy that is at his worst in the biggest games, and I figure if a guy can't get up for a big-time game in college, he's going to have effort issues in the pros.

Ayers because I always am wary of guys that have little-to-no production in college that all of a sudden are 1st round picks because of their combine workouts. I know there are some on this board that really like him, I'm just not one of them

Great topic.

I'm going with Heyward-Bey and Orakpo (a/k/a "No-sack-po") for the top 16.

Heyward-Bey because I have my doubts as to weather he's capable of operating in an NFL offense, and because I think Al Davis will force Tom Cable's hand in not only starting him too early, but also in starting JaMarcus Russell instead of Jeff Garcia.

Orakpo because I think he lacks a great 1st step, doesn't bring his 'A' game consistently, and has a tendancy to disappear for long stretches.

In the back half I'll go with Chris Wells and Robert Ayers.

Wells because--although he is immensely talented--he's a guy that is at his worst in the biggest games, and I figure if a guy can't get up for a big-time game in college, he's going to have effort issues in the pros.

Ayers because I always am wary of guys that have little-to-no production in college that all of a sudden are 1st round picks because of their combine workouts. I know there are some on this board that really like him, I'm just not one of them

Heyward-Bey is a guy I definitely agree with for the reasons I stated at the start of this thread. I'm also glad to see someone else is hesitant about Ayers too.

If Heyward-Bey had 4.5 speed what round do you think he'd have gone in? I'm guessing the third.

Walking out on the combine, emotional immaturity, the dumb decision to have contact with an agent and getting suspended from the team for the bowl game against Utah. Dominating in college and performing well in the pros are two different things. Look at our old buddy, Mike Williams. I just think that too many red flags were raised on Smith, despite the endorsements from his college coach. Just enough for me to think he's going to be a bust.

Walking out on the combine, emotional immaturity, the dumb decision to have contact with an agent and getting suspended from the team for the bowl game against Utah. Dominating in college and performing well in the pros are two different things. Look at our old buddy, Mike Williams. I just think that too many red flags were raised on Smith, despite the endorsements from his college coach. Just enough for me to think he's going to be a bust.

Ok, got it. :thumbsup:

I agree. I expect that he will be a lengthy holdout....possibly re-entering the 2010 draft (whatever that may turn out to be).

CIN took special pains to check him out before the draft, and at this point, seems he took special pains to snow them.

His selection certainly raised many a CIN fan's eyebrow...

A huge difference is Freeman played in one of the elite conferences in football while our former 1st rounder played in Conference USA. That's a big difference. I think if they don't rush Freeman, he will be a pretty good QB.

I think Sanchez is going to be a bust. Not Ryan Leaf like, but just another average QB and no better than Ratliff, who they traded to get him.

and it's tough to really say a last 1st rounder will be a bust because it's kinda of a crapshot. If I had to pick, i'd go with Vontae Davis. He was nothing special in college, has attitude issues, and is known for haven't bad footwork. I'm looking forward to a Lee Evans-Vontae Davis matchup.

Good point about the conferences, but the Big 12 was well known for porous defenses this past season. Yes, Freeman has the size and mobility that the NFL loves, but I can't help but notice his poor performances against Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska late in the season. He put up some gaudy numbers against OU, but it was in a game that KSU got blown out in.

I'm not going to put any money down that Freeman will be a bust, I'm just stating an opinion and putting a little reasoning behind it.

Heyward-Bey is a guy I definitely agree with for the reasons I stated at the start of this thread. I'm also glad to see someone else is hesitant about Ayers too.

If Heyward-Bey had 4.5 speed what round do you think he'd have gone in? I'm guessing the third.

Hmmm, tough to say. It's not like he was a workout warrior, he made a lot of plays for a Maryland team that didn't have a single other offensive player drafted in 2009, and that was against constant double (and triple) coverage. I saw him play against Wake Forest (was matched up with Alphonso Smith--who had safety help--all day)., and he was unbelievable (without checking I think he had 10+ catches for 100+ yds). I just think that he's very raw and is going into a BAD situation where he won't have the time he needs to grow into the position.

Top 5: Dirty Sanchez

6-10: Darius Heward-Bey (as a mid-late 1st he wouldn't have busted. As #7 overall, not worth it)

11-15: Aaron Maybin :lol: (as both a Bills and PSU fan it pains me to say that

16-20: Josh Freeman

21-26: Percy Harvin

27-32: Beanie Wells

Since the most choices a poll can have is 20 I've split the votes between the first 16 and last 16.

Have fun and defend your choices, please.

For choices 1-16 I'm picking Brian Cushing. He was taken off the field often on third downs in college. He has a myriad of injuries in his history. I normally won't count injuries as a reason for a guy to bust unless they have a history going into the draft. I'm guessing he'll be out of the league in three years.

My second choice for 1-16 is Darrius Heyward-Bey. The first reason is Al Davis drafted him. The next reason is he seems more like a track star than a receiver. Davis goes gaga over speed and it blinds him to some negatives that would make a slower receiver a third round pick. JMO

For choices 17-32 it's a coin flip between Robert Ayers, who I think a lot of people have overrated and Michael Oher who I think will have too many distractions in the next couple of years. After the flip of the coin it comes down to Robert Ayers.

Ayers has only 8 career sacks coming into the NFL. For a guy who is listed as a possible DE that's not very impressive. He's also listed as a possible DT and I don't see him excelling in the NFL at the position. I think he'll be easily fooled by the offenses and will be taken advantage of and pushed around by NFL OL. Just a guy I have a gut feeling about.

Having said that, he'll probably be a HOF. My gut reactions have a poor record.

My thoughts were somewhat similar to yours. My first choice for 1-16 was Heyward-Bey, for the reasons you mentioned. My second was Sanchez; whom I have a bad feeling about.

For 17 - 32, I voted for Robert Ayers. The low sack total didn't impress me. Neither did his highlight reel. I mean, those are supposed to be the guy's best plays over his college career. I didn't see enough there to warrant first round status.