Ravens could dump Willis McGahee

Every front office makes mistakes. It's the amount of mistakes that contribute to perpetual ineptitude, and the Ravens are usually pretty good. Their GM, HOF TE Ozzie Newsome is renowned for his ability to find talent although trading for McGahee was not his best move.

That said, I'd still rate the Ravens front office as one of the better ones in the league. Considering they went deep into the AFC playoffs with a rookie HC and rookie QB, they must be doing enough right.

I know it pains you to do so, but why not admit Marv made a great trade? You love to right his other moves. Why not give credit where credit is due.

And Newsome is arguably the best GM in the NFL but it is beyond stupid to ever trade for a running back in the NFL.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their 2008 playoff appearance suggests that they overcame the McGahee deal quite well, wouldn't you think?

And as long as you're ripping Newsome, why not talk about his better moves in drafting: Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Peter Boulware, Chris McAlister, Jamal Lewis, Adalius Thomas, Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis, Ed Reed, Chester Taylor, Terrell Suggs, and Haloti Ngata.

Newsome isn't perfect, but when it comes to building a football team, he's pretty darn good.

I didn't know the ravens had two players named jamal lewis... small world

I'll bet you'd have a hard time making that case on the Ravens board. 3 picks for McDoofus looks pretty dumb.

PTR

If you're saying that the Ravens front office hasn't performed much better than ours over the last ten years then you're obviously wrong. If you're saying that Ravens fans are a bit spoiled and take much for granted and as a result would chastise their front office for this one move you're probably wrong.

Sure, but the Ravens office gets away with it because their team sometimes goes to the playoffs. They earn their mistakes.

Very true. The Bills front office is in the position of not getting the benefit of the doubt. The Ravens front office is in the position of getting the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe by trade, but it's hard to beat Elvis Grbac. :censored:

Which proves that even the best football departments make occasional mistakes. Dilfer had just won the Super Bowl but they wanted to get rid of him. FWIW Dilfer did absolutely nothing after he left the Ravens. To replace him the Ravens signed freshly minted Pro Bowler Elvis Grbac who was mediocre. But it didn't appear to be a bad move at the time.

I know it pains you to do so, but why not admit Marv made a great trade? You love to right his other moves. Why not give credit where credit is due.

And Newsome is arguably the best GM in the NFL but it is beyond stupid to ever trade for a running back in the NFL.

Just a reminder that anytime you make an absolute statement like the one bolded above you're practically begging for people to sharpshoot you. But I agree, it's usually beyond stupid to trade for a running back in the NFL.

Well I don't think the Ravens are going to give up on a guy who rushed for 1200 yards two years ago (he also averaged 4.1 yards per carry that year) and considering the cap hit and the guarantees that come with cutting that contract the Ravens are at least going to stick with him one more year (at least thats what I think)

The Ravens are still going to run the ball and they will just use McGahee and Ray Rice as a combo backfield and than cut McGahee next season when there is less guaranteed money due to him and no cap. McGahee is a slightly above average running back not worth the picks they gave up (which the Bills used fairly well) and definitely not worth the big money they gave up. But he is still a serviceable player who in a dual running back situation can maximize his skill set.

So while the Ravens may regret that move they still can get good production out of him for one more season and than move on.

Just a reminder that anytime you make an absolute statement like the one bolded above you're practically begging for people to sharpshoot you. But I agree, it's usually beyond stupid to trade for a running back in the NFL.

You're right. You should never make an absolute statement. But for the life of me, all I really remember is really terrible running back trades (Hershel Walker, etc.) I guess the Faulk was pretty good but the Colts ended up with Edge and Mike Peterson.

Which proves that even the best football departments make occasional mistakes. Dilfer had just won the Super Bowl but they wanted to get rid of him. FWIW Dilfer did absolutely nothing after he left the Ravens. To replace him the Ravens signed freshly minted Pro Bowler Elvis Grbac who was mediocre. But it didn't appear to be a bad move at the time.

You are absolutely right it was a mistake. The HC did not think intelligence and competency was exciting enough for marketing department and his supposed wizardry on offense so traded away someone who was able to win despite offense coaching.

The only great RB trade I can think of off the top of my head was the Clinton Portis trade. Oh yeah, the Herschel Walker trade great for Dallas and horrible for Minnesota.

Their 2008 playoff appearance suggests that they overcame the McGahee deal quite well, wouldn't you think?

And as long as you're ripping Newsome, why not talk about his better moves in drafting: Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Peter Boulware, Chris McAlister, Jamal Lewis, Adalius Thomas, Todd Heap, Jamal Lewis, Ed Reed, Chester Taylor, Terrell Suggs, and Haloti Ngata.

Newsome isn't perfect, but when it comes to building a football team, he's pretty darn good.

Now, I like Ozzie. But if you're going to start listing names, it's only fair to point out that the Ravens drafted in the Top 10 five years in a row, which makes it a little easier to stockpile talent. (And doesn't say much for the pro-scouting guy during that time period.)

The only great RB trade I can think of off the top of my head was the Clinton Portis trade. Oh yeah, the Herschel Walker trade great for Dallas and horrible for Minnesota.

Off the top of my head (in the modern era) there was the Marshall Faulk trade that worked out for St Louis as they won a Super Bowl with him and only gave up a 2nd and a 5th for him, and the Eric Dickerson trade which worked out well for all three teams involved. The Rams received Greg Bell and three 1st round picks, the Bills received LB Cornelius Bennett and the Colts got Dickerson. Dickerson led them to their first playoff appearance in ten years. He had three 1000 yard seasons with the Colts and led the NFL in rushing in 1988.

I'm sure there's other examples too but the point's been made.

Now, I like Ozzie. But if you're going to start listing names, it's only fair to point out that the Ravens drafted in the Top 10 five years in a row, which makes it a little easier to stockpile talent. (And doesn't say much for the pro-scouting guy during that time period.)

They did indeed draft high quite often. As they were essentially rebuilding after the move from Cleveland, they hit with many of those top picks, most of all Ogden. Granted he was one of those "can't miss" prospects, but he also snagged Lewis later in the first of 1996. It's hard to envision that team winning the SB in 2000 without those two.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Ravens, but you've got to admire some of the things Newsome did in getting a title to Baltimore just their fifth season after moving from Cleveland.

But trading 2 3rds and a 7th for McGahee really put Buffalo into a position heading into draft day 07. With only Shaud Williams on the roster, the Bills badly needed a RB, in addition to a LB among other things.

The Broncos got Champ Bailey who is considered the best corner in football. At the very best for the Skins, that can be considered an even trade.

They did indeed draft high quite often. As they were essentially rebuilding after the move from Cleveland, they hit with many of those top picks, most of all Ogden. Granted he was one of those "can't miss" prospects, but he also snagged Lewis later in the first of 1996. It's hard to envision that team winning the SB in 2000 without those two.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Ravens, but you've got to admire some of the things Newsome did in getting a title to Baltimore just their fifth season after moving from Cleveland.

But trading 2 3rds and a 7th for McGahee really put Buffalo into a position heading into draft day 07. With only Shaud Williams on the roster, the Bills badly needed a RB, in addition to a LB among other things.

See this is probably with posters liek yourself. i have no problem with you pointing out the bad moves that the Bills have made. God knows they made some terrible ones. But you jsut look for reasons to be miserable and make the Bills look bad.

In this trade for Willis, the Bills got a pick they used to draft a possible franchise QB (Edwards), a pick they used in a package to acquire a pro bowl caliber DT (Stroud), and drafted a running back who in his first 2 years is off to a better start than OJ, Thurman, & Travis Henry??? Why is it so hard to admit the Bills did good? I know you have an agenda but you can't just say your "team" made a good move? :censored:

See this is probably with posters liek yourself. i have no problem with you pointing out the bad moves that the Bills have made. God knows they made some terrible ones. But you jsut look for reasons to be miserable and make the Bills look bad.

In this trade for Willis, the Bills got a pick they used to draft a possible franchise QB (Edwards), a pick they used in a package to acquire a pro bowl caliber DT (Stroud), and drafted a running back who in his first 2 years is off to a better start than OJ, Thurman, & Travis Henry??? Why is it so hard to admit the Bills did good? I know you have an agenda but you can't just say your "team" made a good move? :censored:

Of course the Bills have made good moves in the last decade. And trading McGahee was one of the better ones. But you don't miss the playoffs for so long without making more bad ones than good ones. The Bills make good moves which is why they aren't like the Detroit Lions and go 0-16.

To go 7-9 without the ability to spend big on free agents takes good drafting and smart moves. We all think 7-9 sucks but you still need to field a respectable team to win 7 games. And to field a respectable team you need to make some good moves. It just sucks to that we have a sub par coach and can't fill needs with free agents. So the mistakes in drafts and resigning players get magnified.

If the Pats wiff on a number one pick they still have a good team and still can fill other needs with free agents and lower round picks. If the Bills wiff on a pick it hurts the franchise for years thus it looks bad for them even if they make a good decisions two years in a row.

I'm pretty sure one of the 3rd's was used for Stroud, but can anybody tell me who -for sure- we used the McGahee picks on? Their careers will tell the ultimate story of WM in Buffalo.

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty sure one of the 3rd's was used for Stroud, but can anybody tell me who -for sure- we used the McGahee picks on? Their careers will tell the ultimate story of WM in Buffalo.

Thanks in advance.

One 3rd was for Trent and the other 3rd was for Stroud, along with the 5th they got for Spikes and Holcomb.