Roadfood thread got me to thinkin...Memphis

Beerball

Going to be in Memphis in a couple days.

I needs to know the absolute best place for BBQ in the area. Please include your bona fides (height, weight) in the reply so that I know whether or not to believe you.

Roadfood.com is a handy site.

Surprised to see that fried bologna is a Memphis thing too.

PTR

I needs to know the absolute best place for BBQ in the area. Please include your bona fides (height, weight) in the reply so that I know whether or not to believe you.

I have only been in Memphis for one night. Stayed at the Peabody to see the ducks abd ate at the Rendezvous. Memphis version of the Anchor Bar maybe, but it was outstanding in my mind.

http://www.hogsfly.com/

do yourself a favor and go to the rendezvous, in spite of the hype, it is worth the trip, on the non BBQ stops, make sure you hit Silky O'Sullivans just down the street in the beale street bar district, then hit the flying saucer.

The Rendezvous is the best barbecue place in America. You should also visit the Peabody hotel for the peabody ducks, go to the Lorraine Motel (where Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated) and to Beale St. at night for great music. Memphis has a great zoo as well.

The Rendezvous is the best barbecue place in America. You should also visit the Peabody hotel for the peabody ducks, go to the Lorraine Motel (where Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated) and to Beale St. at night for great music. Memphis has a great zoo as well.
Thanks for the info. Rendezvous it is. Can't argue with three :( recommendations.

The first night I hit Memphis, the Rendezvous was closed for the night, so I had to make do.

I went down to Beale St, and had some of the best ribs I ever ate at the Interstate BBQ across the street from BB Kings joint. Not only were the ribs great, they had a smokin band playing, too.

I'm not saying you should skip Rendezvous, but if you are down on Beale and get the urge, the Interstate is the real deal, too.

BTW, I had a great pulled-pork sandwich at lunch one day. I think the name of the place was Payne's.

The first night I hit Memphis, the Rendezvous was closed for the night, so I had to make do.

I went down to Beale St, and had some of the best ribs I ever ate at the Interstate BBQ across the street from BB Kings joint. Not only were the ribs great, they had a smokin band playing, too.

I'm not saying you should skip Rendezvous, but if you are down on Beale and get the urge, the Interstate is the real deal, too.

BTW, I had a great pulled-pork sandwich at lunch one day. I think the name of the place was Payne's.

Had a pulled pork at the Interstate BBQ at the Memphis Airport years ago. Very, very good sammich. :censored:

But, I still desire the Rendezvous someday. I have heard that is the best, bar none.

Had a pulled pork at the Interstate BBQ at the Memphis Airport years ago. Very, very good sammich. :censored:

But, I still desire the Rendezvous someday. I have heard that is the best, bar none.

At the airport? That says something right there, IMO.

In Buffalo you can actually get a reasonable beef on weck at the airport (Landmark). And now I notice there is an Anchor Bar at the airport? When did that happen?

The ribs are average. The pulled pork is good. There is better bbq elsewhere.

You need to eat at FFD in Franklin, TN. Yummy

Wasn't aware Interstate had a place on Beale. Hit up the original on 3rd st. Area looks a little iffy but never had any trouble there. Im in Memphis a number of times during the year for work and Interstate is always my first stop. I've eaten there 2 and 3 days in a row for lunch. The airport location is great too while waiting for a flight. Make sure you get a chopped shoulder sandwich. I always get some extra bbq sauce on the side. Also get a side of BBQ spaghetti. Sounds strange but it is amazing. Probably my favorite thing on the menu. Service can be iffy, but the food is so good you wont care. You can leave very full for under $10 (large chopped shoulder bout 6, bbq spaghetti 2)

Wasn't aware Interstate had a place on Beale.

Well, I just checked the locations on their website, and you are correct. So, did the Beale St location change names, or did I not go to Interstate? Hmmm

It looks as though the name of the place I was at is called Blues City Cafe. This looks to be across the street from BB Kings, and has a music room connected to the restaurant.

http://www.bluescitycafe.com

EDIT: Blues City Cafe has been there since 1991, and I was in Memphis in the late '90's, so that's the place. How did I get that confused?

Anyway, they had the best ribs I have ever had. But I still plan to go to Rendezvous the next time I'm in town.

Looking at the locations, it seems as though I may have had the pulled pork sammy at Interstate the following day. So, maybe I just noticed Payne's, or had planned to go. I drink, ya know.

As a former Memphian, Interstate makes some great BBQ, as suggested. Blues city cafe is good. Rendezvous is rockin. They specialize in dry rub ribs, so its a little different than most people are used to, but it's the best. There's a great BBQ across the road from Graceland if you get out that way. I can't' think of the name, but worth trying to find.

Of course, there's any number of other places to try. Just walk into the raggiest dump you can find and you'll be amazed at the food. If you try Corky's, find the original joint in Overton Square.

Thanks for the info. Rendezvous it is. Can't argue with three :rolleyes: recommendations.

I work in Memphis, so I asked several people after I saw this thread to see how people felt. The general consensus was Rendezvous for Ribs and Interstate for pulled pork. Pity you weren't here a few weeks ago for Barbeque Fest.

Thanks all for the great info.

Had the ribs at Rendezvous, & they were very good. The charcoal gives the meat its distinctive flavor and their rub was outstanding. Difficult to explain, but the rub was very tasty but understated so that it didn't get in the way. I'll try to replicate the rub at home. Beale street was great, but we just missed BB King by a couple days. Great music up & down the street with tons of bikers, tourists and locals.

Tomorrow night will be camping in E. Tenn, then a day in NC followed by a drive up to Gettysburg & Philly. Family road trip!

Memphis is my favorite place to visit. Great food, music, and you can walk down Beale Street with your drink.

In addition to the great BBQ places, I'd also recommend the best fried chicken place --

Gus's World Famous Hot & Spicy

310 S Front St

Memphis, TN 38103

(901) 527-4877‎

A bit more trip info...Tenn. is a long damn state! Drove and drove and drove from Memphis to the Smokey Mountains where we camped out.

Along the way...put this in your only in America file...tote bags featuring Nathan Bedford Forrest with the caption..."The Wizard of the Saddle." Course he became a grand wizzard in a certain fraternal organization after the war.