UB Alumnusses & Amumnussers what you think?

Beerball

I got my undergrad and law degree from UB and appreciate how its presidents have pretty much bucked the system to make great strides, but I don't think this will fly. If UB does, why shouldn't Binghamton, Albany and Stony Brook? And if they want to be private why not go all the way and get out of SUNY altogether (answer- $$$)?

One of the only things that attracts people outside of Buffalo to UB is how affordable the price is. I know $620 isn't much of an increase, but if they decide to raise the tuition substantially, they're going to lose their only thing attracting students to the area.

This is typical New York State crap. Hold UB and Buffalo back. Ever wonder why there aren't any NYS public colleges that are known nationally? It's because SUNY promotes mediocrity and confomity. God forbid UB and WNY show some growth and success. Petty bureaucrats stiffling progress.

PTR

UB and its growth are likely the long term key to possible economic growth in WNY - the problem is the drain of students out of the region following graduation. NYS has to learn that its tax policies only magnify the loss of people from the region. The climate presents enough of challenge. The lack of job growth tied to excessive taxation makes a turnaround essentially impossible.

One of the only things that attracts people outside of Buffalo to UB is how affordable the price is. I know $620 isn't much of an increase, but if they decide to raise the tuition substantially, they're going to lose their only thing attracting students to the area.

Well, since their goal is to be a major research institution, they'll be attracting students from the global pool. They should have no problem filling the enrollement buckets since the out-of-state tuition is still a major bargain compared to most state university systems. This being NYS, however, it's doubtful 2020 will ever run on all cylinders, no matter how promising the concept.

Example: Your NYS government at work... :lol:

This is typical New York State crap. Hold UB and Buffalo back. Ever wonder why there aren't any NYS public colleges that are known nationally? It's because SUNY promotes mediocrity and confomity. God forbid UB and WNY show some growth and success. Petty bureaucrats stiffling progress.

PTR

Gotta agree with you, PTR. The faculty union likes its nice, cushy mediocrity and will fight tooth and nail to block this in the Assembly.