Looks like the Hezbollah-bloc lost in Lebanon elections

Interesting. All I had been reading was that they were supposed to win. Way to go, good Christians versus evil Christians! :thumbsup:

And no one seems to have much of a majority, but still, seems like very good news and hopefully a harbinger of things to come in the Iranian elections where President Kook could lose.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8088410.stm

Interesting. All I had been reading was that they were supposed to win. Way to go, good Christians versus evil Christians! :thumbsup:

And no one seems to have much of a majority, but still, seems like very good news and hopefully a harbinger of things to come in the Iranian elections where President Kook could lose.

That's good news. The best way to oust Hezbollah is if their own people decide to do it.

Interesting. All I had been reading was that they were supposed to win. Way to go, good Christians versus evil Christians! :rolleyes:

Iranian elections are basically bogus. The religious leadership holds the power and controls the military. The electorate is there pretty much just to be a talking head.

Now it will be interesting to see who wins the upcomming elections in Iran.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9052203693.html

Iran's Election Turns on President's 'Truths' - Ahmadinejad's Rivals Reject His Views on Nuclear Program, Israel, U.S. Ties

Mir Hossein Mousavi, a former prime minister who is backed mainly by Tehran's educated urban elite, has stressed that he would calm international opposition to Iran's nuclear program by providing guarantees -- which he has not specified -- that Iran will not turn its research on atomic energy into an effort to build nuclear weapons.

A third challenger (to Ahmadinejad), Mohsen Rezai, was the Revolutionary Guard's commander in chief during the long Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s and is probably the closest to Ahmadinejad in ideology. He has said he would talk to President Obama if conditions were right.

All the candidates, including Ahmadinejad, have pledged to continue Iran's efforts to enrich uranium, despite U.N. sanctions. All of them share hostility toward Israel. But the challengers say Iran should reach out to other nations and soften the tone of its foreign policy, which is largely set by the country's supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. During a visit to Iran's Kurdish region this month, Khamenei urged voters not to support "pro-Western" candidates.

TEHRAN, June 7 - The main challenger to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Friday's presidential election is a relatively unknown candidate who says he joined the race to save Iran from his opponent's "destructive" policies.

Mir Hossein Mousavi, 67, who served as prime minister in the early years of the Islamic revolution, had stayed away from politics for the past 20 years. But he entered the race on a main promise to stand up to Ahmadinejad, which has earned him the support of influential clerics, politicians and young people alike.

Each night, tens of thousands of youths gather in Tehran's main squares to cheer their support for a man who just a month ago they barely knew by name. Mousavi has emerged as the only serious alternative for those who oppose the policies of Ahmadinejad, who has the support a small group of hard-line clerics and some influential members of Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps.

That's good news. The best way to oust Hezbollah is if their own people decide to do it.

Being 'in power' in Lebanon is very different than in other countries - it's a balkanized country. Frankly, I'm not sure Hezbvollah wanted to win. It brings too many responsibilities. Under the status quo, they have complete autonomy and their own army in southern Lebanon - an army which is much more powerfull than the national army. Foreign aid is distributed by the national government. Were Hezbollah to take control nationally, that aid would dry up, Lebanon might become economically isolated, and the party would be unable to deliver on social services.

I think they like things just as they are.

Being 'in power' in Lebanon is very different than in other countries - it's a balkanized country. Frankly, I'm not sure Hezbvollah wanted to win. It brings too many responsibilities. Under the status quo, they have complete autonomy and their own army in southern Lebanon - an army which is much more powerfull than the national army. Foreign aid is distributed by the national government. Were Hezbollah to take control nationally, that aid would dry up, Lebanon might become economically isolated, and the party would be unable to deliver on social services.

I think they like things just as they are.

I respectfully disagree. Being in power allows them to have a recognized "legitimite" voice. If they ever initiate any sort of actions or movements then they have more backing because they can always say that it is the will of their people; very similar to Hamas. Now that they are elected by the people this makes them more "legitimite" and now have much more power than they did before.

Interesting. All I had been reading was that they were supposed to win. Way to go, good Christians versus evil Christians! :lol:

And so it seems your reading of the situation in Iran was wrong again.

Ahmadinejad for 10 more years or whatever their term is.

Isn't it wonderful what all that apologizing and giving in does. Change we can believe in.

Isn't it wonderful what all that apologizing and giving in does. Change we can believe in.

Yes could lose and will win are the exact same. Work on reading comprehension. :lol:

I don't think it makes much difference one way or another who is the "leader". A good sign that so many showed up, voted, and even rioted. I have more faith in the Iranians than the North Koreans. At least the Iranians would probably revolt if the Mullahs did something insane.

I disagree with tons of Obama's policies, but the right wing cheering of what they perceive as a failure of diplomacy speaks volumes.

I see that Ahmadinejad won with a sparse 65% of the total votes.

I read in the paper today that the Obama Effect means they go either way. Either he influences the elections in a pro-American or anti-American way. He's bigger than America, bigger than the world...He's like God. Well according to Newsweek editor Evan Thomas anyway.

Yes could lose and will win are the exact same. Work on reading comprehension. :lol:

Yeah semantics. That's a crock of crap. You need to admit that our own version of President Kook is living mentally in the land of fairy dust and unicorns with no concept of reality. These folks are very tied to their way of life and regardless of who won they want the US dead, Israel gone and they want to push their way of life throughout the middle east. Our president kook is just making it easier for them and emboldening them knowing there will be no reprisals.

I read in the paper today that the Obama Effect means they go either way. Either he influences the elections in a pro-American or anti-American way. He's bigger than America, bigger than the world...He's like God. Well according to Newsweek editor Evan Thomas anyway.

Thomas elaborated on Obama as God, patronizingly explaining: "He's going to bring all different sides together...Obama is trying to sort of tamper everything down. He doesn't even use the word terror. He uses extremism. He's all about let us reason together...He's the teacher. He is going to say, ‘now, children, stop fighting and quarreling with each other.’ And he has a kind of a moral authority that he – he can – he can do that." In response, Matthews wondered: "If there's a world election between him and Osama Bin Laden, he's running a good campaign." Thomas agreed: "Yes, he is."

the next messiah?

No, again your reading comprehension knows no limits of inaccuracy. I know it's probably a first grade word, but do you understand the meaning of the word "could"? I wasnt even making a prediction. I didn't know what was going to happen there, nor do I believe anything their government says. If I would have HAD to guess beforehand, I would have guessed Ahmadinejad would win. I was hoping for the other guy, hence the word "hopefully" (look it up, it's a good word) even though he really wouldn't change much, and I didnt really believe him either, since he is more right on a lot of things than the kook is.

Not to mention that I didn't know I even had any readings of Iran situation before, as far as what's going on inside the country, i don't think i ever commented on it here before. Maybe but I can't remember one.

FWIW, this is an interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/14/world/mi...ref=global-home