anyone have suggestions for a good civil war book....

looking to read something fairly comprehensive and factual, my dad suggested Michael/Jeff Sharra, but are there others out there that will give a nice historical read?

The Shaara books are good reads, but if you're looking for a comprehensive history from Fort Sumter to Appomattox, this discussion begins and ends with Shelby Foote's three-volume The Civil War: A Narrative.

The Shaara books are good reads, but if you're looking for a comprehensive history from Fort Sumter to Appomattox, this discussion begins and ends with Shelby Foote's three-volume The Civil War: A Narrative.

One Volume: James McPherson's Battle Cry Freedom.

Agree on both points. Foote is a really good read (but with a Southern slant). He's someone I could sit & listen to for hours at a time, great story teller (he had a big part in Ken Burns documentary). Read both over time. Chamberlain plays a prominent role in the Shaara books, but I don't think he gets a mention from Foote. You'll learn something from reading both.

Once you are done with the war I recommend Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals." It deals with Lincoln, Seward, Chase, Stanton & Bates from their early lives through Lincoln's death.

Seward (Auburn NY) is going to be my next pick-up.

One Volume: James McPherson's Battle Cry Freedom.

Also a quality suggestion.

A note about the Shaara books, Pooj: they're fact-based, but the recreated dialogue classifies them as historical novels.

Check out Confederates in the Attic...a well written piece about modern ties to the civil war - especially in the South. It is written in a very conversational style by a great storyteller in Tony Horwitz.

Never read an overall history of the war myself, but Stephen W. Sears has some excellent histories on specific battles in the Virginia theater.

I also recommend Joshua Chamberlain's memoirs, The Passing Of The Armies. Chamberlain commanded the 20th Maine at Little Round Top in Gettysburg (basically, he's the guy that saved the Union Army), and accepted the surrender at Appomatox. Again, not an overview of the war, but it makes for interesting reading.

looking to read something fairly comprehensive and factual, my dad suggested Michael/Jeff Sharra, but are there others out there that will give a nice historical read?

I read the three Sharra books back to back to back last summer. The son's books drag a bit. "Killer Angels" though is superb.

Agree on both points. Foote is a really good read (but with a Southern slant). He's someone I could sit & listen to for hours at a time, great story teller (he had a big part in Ken Burns documentary). Read both over time. Chamberlain plays a prominent role in the Shaara books, but I don't think he gets a mention from Foote. You'll learn something from reading both.

Once you are done with the war I recommend Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals." It deals with Lincoln, Seward, Chase, Stanton & Bates from their early lives through Lincoln's death.

Seward (Auburn NY) is going to be my next pick-up.

Great, great book. One of my favorites, regardless of genre.

I read the three Sharra books back to back to back last summer. The son's books drag a bit. "Killer Angels" though is superb.

Very engaging book. I actually saw the movie in the theater (which was sensational -- kudos to Ted Turner) and made a point to buy the book later.

A lot of great suggestions thus far, you can't go wrong with McPherson or Foote for an overall history, though the Foote volumes will take a substantial amount of time to get through. I'm in the middle of Team Of Rivals myself right now and I highly recommend it, Sears' Gettysburg is on deck. I'd also recommend the Personal Memoirs of US Grant.