Bills Rookie Curse?

Is it just me or do the Bills rookies seem to get injured an inordinate amount? I can think of a few examples of rookies who were to be impact players that went down there first year. Losman, Poz, Hardy, you could even make a case for Edwards. I’m I missing anyone else, and does this seem extreme or about normal for team’s rookies?

This is me knocking on my head of wood in the hopes that it won’t happen again this year.

:thumbsup:

Is it just me or do the Bills rookies seem to get injured an inordinate amount? I can think of a few examples of rookies who were to be impact players that went down there first year. Losman, Poz, Hardy, you could even make a case for Edwards. I’m I missing anyone else, and does this seem extreme or about normal for team’s rookies?

This is me knocking on my head of wood in the hopes that it won’t happen again this year.

Perhaps it's the correlation to the need for the rookies to play.

But, without looking at the data, I have a feeling the disparity is not as extreme as you think.

Perhaps it's the correlation to the need for the rookies to play.

But, without looking at the data, I have a feeling the disparity is not as extreme as you think.

Great point!

You are probably right. It is most likely the same with most teams. I'm not really over-reacting I just thought of it and figured it might be an interesting topic.

I wonder if rookies in general are more injury prone that veterans. Players in their 30s are probably more brittle, but guys unused to NFL level hits might be less able to take them/avoid them, and end up injured.

Statistically, I believe that rookies are indeed more prone to injury than guys in their prime. However, I read that this is due to the transition from an 11 game schedule to a 16 game schedule...so logically, the propensity for injury would manifest itself later in the season.

I doubt rookies are more likely to get injured in training camp.

Statistically, I believe that rookies are indeed more prone to injury than guys in their prime. However, I read that this is due to the transition from an 11 game schedule to a 16 game schedule...so logically, the propensity for injury would manifest itself later in the season.

There's a definitely a Darwinian explanation as to why rookies sustain more injuries than vets. How many NFL rookies even make it to year 5? It's a brutal league, only the strong survive.

Was it Brandon Spoon who tore his bicep in his rookie year also?

This is true as well as NFL athletes are in better shape than most college players. Veterans also know they need to not push themselves too hard in practice. Rookies come in trying to prove their worth and somtimes get hurt doing so. Devin Thomas is a prime example. He said he wasn't in good enough shape, pushed himself too early in training camp, hurt his hamstring, and was never able to get back to 100% after that.

I remember Shaun Bryson lost his rookie season with a torn ACL a few years back.

I'll never forget watching that play. Nobody hit him -- he just tried to make a cut, and his knee went sideways. Ugh.

I'll never forget watching that play. Nobody hit him -- he just tried to make a cut, and his knee went sideways. Ugh.

Reminds me of CIN's '07 #2. RB Kenny Irons...first preseason action, a couple of carries. Bam - made a cut, end of career.

Ki-Jana Carter, several years ago, too.