D-Day: 65 Years Ago Today

/dev/null

God bless this country and the men and women who risk their lives to keep us safe and free.

I feel honored to have spent the first 20 years of my life growing up around great uncles and a grandfather who proudly served in WWII. I'm a better person today because of their influence.

In one of the most memorable speeches of his presidency, Ronald Reagan stood at the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1984, and described how Army Rangers on D-Day had scaled cliffs and defeated enemy troops who were firing down on them. The impact of Reagan's speech came from the details that he hammered home in describing one of the great historical moments of his life, and of the 20th century.

If you never heard President Reagan's speech at Normandy, it is worth taking the time to hear it now. It is one of the most descriptive accounts of World War II and Normandy...

In one of the most memorable speeches of his presidency, Ronald Reagan stood at the beaches of Normandy on June 6, 1984, and described how Army Rangers on D-Day had scaled cliffs

...to take a naval battery that wasn't there... :thumbsup: Reagan's speech was a good one, though.

And since it's time for the annual "God bless everyone connected with D-Day" jubilation, I guess it's also time for my "D-Day is historically overrated" counterpoint.

...to take a naval battery that wasn't there... ;) Reagan's speech was a good one, though.

And since it's time for the annual "God bless everyone connected with D-Day" jubilation, I guess it's also time for my "D-Day is historically overrated" counterpoint.

The largest single day amphibious invasion of all time (160,000 troops) is "historically overrated"? :thumbsup:

Amazing that only 90 of the 225 rangers survived the machine gun fire and grenades that rained down on them during 2-day struggle at Pointe-du-Hoc to "take a naval battery that wasn't there". I wonder then, just who was killing our boys?

If it weren't for those young men, you and I and the rest of the world would be speaking German today - so please, keep the ridiculous counterpoint to yourself.

The largest single day amphibious invasion of all time (160,000 troops) is "historically overrated"? :thumbsup:

Matched ten days later at Saipan. Exceeded by Leyte and Okinawa. Don't give me that "largest amphibious invasion ever" crap.

If it weren't for those young men, you and I and the rest of the world would be speaking German today - so please, keep the ridiculous counterpoint to yourself.

;) Tell that to the Russians.

Matched ten days later at Saipan. Exceeded by Leyte and Okinawa. Don't give me that "largest amphibious invasion ever" crap.

:thumbsup: Tell that to the Russians.

OR you could pay respect to the brave men who lost their lives that day, and stop pissing in everybody's cheerios by arguing over the details of the battle. Save the historical debate for another day, today is about solemn remembrance.

...to take a naval battery that wasn't there... :thumbsup: Reagan's speech was a good one, though.

I'll join you in that. Hand over heart salute to all the soldiers that died in defense of their country and to liberate the conquered. All of them. Everywhere.

Not the time IMO.

It was moved one and a half miles inland to avoid bombing. Still taken out by the rangers,though :thumbsup:

I remember watching an interview with a ranger vet who said it annoyed him (read really pissed him off) that people thought the mission was a failure and the guns were nowhere to be found. The officers (not the men) knew the guns had been moved beforehand and pointe du hoc was still considered a necessary objective.

To assault those cliffs and achieve all their objectives was an awesome feat by the Rangers, one of the most compelling stories of the largest invasion in history.