Great Movies

Recent movie threads got me thinking. People usually say that the movie doesn't live up to the book. But there are quite a few exceptions. Here are some I can think of...

The Collector

Slaughterhouse Five

Rebecca

Jesus' Son

American Psycho

Carrie

The Dead Zone

The 25th Hour

What are your favorite movies adapted from novels?

I don't want to be the Thread Police, but I think posters should have to have read the book first, before they saw the movie, or put an asterisk by it. If you see the movie first, you have so many ideas in your head because of what you saw about the characters and locations and everything else that it completely distorts (for better or worse, it doesn't matter) the experience you would have had coming to the book fresh.

I don't want to be the Thread Police, but I think posters should have to have read the book first, before they saw the movie, or put an asterisk by it. If you see the movie first, you have so many ideas in your head because of what you saw about the characters and locations and everything else that it completely distorts (for better or worse, it doesn't matter) the experience you would have had coming to the book fresh.

then don't :devil:

some people might not have read the (book) before the movie if they didn't enjoy with movie. Sometimes people need to get a grasp or concept of what its about.

Thats like saying a kid nowadays isn't allowed to like elvis or the beatles because they didn't like them when they weren't famous.

I love to read......love to watch movies.......some got me to watch the movies and some got me to read the books.

then don't :devil:

some people might not have read the (book) before the movie if they didn't enjoy with movie. Sometimes people need to get a grasp or concept of what its about.

Thats like saying a kid nowadays isn't allowed to like elvis or the beatles because they didn't like them when they weren't famous.

I love to read......love to watch movies.......some got me to watch the movies and some got me to read the books.

I wasn't commenting on whether it is better or worse (which is why I said "for better or worse, it doesn't matter"), or whether one should or shouldn't read the book first. Sometimes watching the movie first can be better, or you never would have heard of the book if you didn't see the movie. I just thought the list would be littered with films that people who thought a certain book was better than it was (or different than it was) because they saw the film first and pictured in their head what these characters were like.

It's impossible to read The Godfather without having certain images in your head. The book reads completely different to anyone that has seen the film first than it does to anyone who hasn't.

Jurassic Park and Mother Night. I'm leaning towards adding Breakfast of Champions but I don't think it rises to great status.

The problem with movies from books is that it's very difficult to take a 300 page book and boil it down to an hour and a half. Most of them royally suck.

Good books/movie I read/saw:

Found a list:

American Psycho

Catch 22

A Clockwork Orange

The Day of the Triffids

Devil in a Blue Dress

The English Patient

Fight Club

Get Shorty

The Godfather

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Jaws

LA Confidential

Lolita

Lord of the Flies

The Maltese Falcon

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

The Outsiders

Rebecca

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold

The Talented Mr Ripley

To Kill a Mockingbird****** (My Favorite book/movie)

Others off the top of my head:

Almost all the Raymond Chandler/Daishell Hammett books/movies The Thin Man, etc

The James Cain books/movies: Double Indemnity, Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce

Graham Greene: The Third Man

Many other vintage crime novels

The Natural

Henry V, Halmet, Julius Caesar

Found a list:

American Psycho

Catch 22

A Clockwork Orange

The Day of the Triffids

Devil in a Blue Dress

The English Patient

Fight Club

Get Shorty

The Godfather

Jaws

LA Confidential

Lolita

Lord of the Flies

The Maltese Falcon

The Outsiders

Rebecca

The Talented Mr Ripley

The James Cain books/movies: Double Indemnity, Postman Always Rings Twice, Mildred Pierce

The Natural

Good stuff!

I never checked out the Thin Man stuff, but I'm curious. I can't believe I left One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, To Kill a Mockingbird and Lolita off my list. (Lolita is actually my favorite Kubrick movie, but it doesn't get mentioned very often).

The Third Man is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I did not read the book. Catch-22--I loved the book but the movie not so much.

Honorable mentions:

- Short Cuts (not from a novel, but a collection of Raymond Carver's stories).

- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (from Edward Albee's play)

Good stuff!

I never checked out the Thin Man stuff, but I'm curious. I can't believe I left One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, To Kill a Mockingbird and Lolita off my list. (Lolita is actually my favorite Kubrick movie, but it doesn't get mentioned very often).

The Third Man is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I did not read the book. Catch-22--I loved the book but the movie not so much.

Honorable mentions:

- Short Cuts (not from a novel, but a collection of Raymond Carver's stories).

- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (from Edward Albee's play)

IMO, ones like Cuckoo's Nest and Lolita are really hard to say because they are both fabulous books and fabulous movies. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, obviously, but most filmmakers much prefer to think of their films as completely different medium than the book, and not supposed to be looked at as a version of the novel in moving pictures and dialogue.

IIRC, the dialogue for the film Virginia Woolf is very much like if not pretty much verbatim from the play. And most of the power of that film is simply the great cutting dialogue and explosive performance of the four leads, especially Burton and Taylor. Not sure I would count that as much of an adaptation, that was almost a filmed play.

Found a list:

American Psycho

Catch 22

A Clockwork Orange

The Day of the Triffids

Devil in a Blue Dress

The English Patient

Fight Club

Get Shorty

The Godfather

Jaws

LA Confidential

Lolita

Lord of the Flies

The Maltese Falcon

The Outsiders

Rebecca

The Talented Mr Ripley

The Natural

get shorty. hound, cuckoos nest,kill a mockingboard----saw/read them all---all excellent in both

If anyone says "Starship Troopers", I will stuff them in an oil drum and dump them in a landfill.

Is the book that good/different? I like the movie, in a cheesy, B, Sci-Fi sorta way. But the way it's filmed (with the whole news report thing), I can see it being different and annoying to someone who has read the book.

I don't normally read much Sci-Fi, but I might check it out.