another soccer reminder

Gringo...ajzepp...Who were those guys wearing the USA national team uniforms ?

Was that some junior high team ?

I watched the first half, then TiVOed the second, hoping that to watch

a turnaround early Thurs AM....

I nearly puked my coffee at the second half.

That defensive effort last night was offensive.

Frankie Heyduk (sp?) can't get healthy fast enough.

and Freddy needs to be playing more. Kid makes stuff happen.

Did you hear them say how Freddy was "nowhere near making the team"? What is that about?? They've done nothing but hold this kid back and I'm sick of it. You've got guys like Rooney and Ronaldo making an impact when they're teenagers, while we're just dragging things along with Freddy. I'm not saying he'll ever be in the same league as those guys, but I totally agree with you that Freddy needs to be playing. He was one of the only players on our squad who was clearly THINKING about his game and making moves that actually exhibited some sort of skill. I refuse to believe we don't have talent, particularly young talent....we just need someone in here who is able to grow it and bring everyone together into a team.

I'm getting kind of tired watching Onyewu pussyfoot around back there too....we need someone to light a fire under his ass. He should be dominant!

I agree that Adu should be getting more minutes and he will definitely be a part of the WC squad. The reason: good touch on the ball! That is what is missing most with U.S. players. He can hold the ball, he can dribble competently and he has the vision to make a positive pass. His trouble so far is that he has felt the need to penetrate the defense too much on his own, dribbling into trouble. But this can be corrected and to some extent it's what we want--it does create some chances and plenty of free kicks.

My biggest problem is the defense. Onyewu and Bocanegra in the middle have been solid before. I don't think you're going to see a change there (although I would not mind trying Jay DeMerit in Bocanegra's place--I like his energy). But Wynne and Beasley on the outside, just a total disaster. I hope Wynne does not make the WC squad. Beasley has stuck around because of his speed, but I'm not sure he even has that anymore. His overall lack of skill gets exposed every time against quality opposition. I miss Steve Cherundolo and Heath Pearce back there. And Hedjuk has been serviceable too. I kind of thought he would have retired by now, but if he keeps his hustle then keep him around.

I hope Bradley knows what he's doing. Maybe he's just sort of experimenting right now? Last night's game worried me, but I'll wait a little while before I start panicking. Honduras on Sunday, then Italy and Brazil in the next couple weeks in the Confederations Cup in South Africa. Could get ugly.

Honduras on Sunday, then Italy and Brazil in the next couple weeks in the Confederations Cup in South Africa. Could get ugly.

Pretty sure the Honduras game is Sat night.

You're right. I don't know why I said Sunday. Probably some kind of subconscious defense mechanism--like I wanted to trick myself into not watching it. :lol:

:lol:

Who could blame you after last night? I'm afraid too....very afraid!

Good thing Mexico is in disarray or I could see this team not qualifying.

I was thinking the same thing when they were showing the standings.... :thumbsup:

Mexico will bounce back. The U.S. vs. Mexico game on August 12 (in Mexico!) will be a tough one and it will have real meaning for both teams.

Keep in mind: It's not just about merely qualifying for the WC, it's also where you stand. Lower ranking = tougher group schedule in the WC. Going in, it looked like the U.S. would be an easy #1. Now, who knows?

If by some chance we don't qualify, Bradley needs to go immediately. There's just no excuse for that happening.