Bill Simmons reason for Big Papi's fall off the cliff...

Tcali

He got old.... HMMMMMMM....

Instead of 33 or 34 Simmons says he must be 36 or 37. Barring injury or disease...baseball sluggers do not fall off the cliff at age 37--even if Papi is 37.

I hope that he is physically OK.Thats the main thing.-But I don't think he all of a sudden got old-causing his production level to drop off 88%.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4223584

What do you expect, he's ESPN's official Boston apologist... notice how he's one of the few columnists that doesn't have a section at the end of his articles for comments from readers? He's that polarizing of a "writer."

Is there any media member that can be posted about that everybody right away doesn't say he's a hack, etc........Nobody here likes anybody!

Here's the official list as of 7:36 MST 6/3/09

ESPN - bad

Bill Simmons - eternally bad (nobody that I know of likes this douchenozzle)

Mel Kiper - good

CBS Sports - bad see Pete Prisco towards bottom of list

Yahoo Sports - bad

Mort - bad (he'll never get out of this category... everyone here hates him)

Todd McShay - good

Don Banks - was bad, but is now good

Jim Rome - good (I think, I can't remember, I heard him being spoke of fondly recently)

Gregg Easterbrook - good because he has relatives in this area I think?

Chris Berman - good (but once he announces someone other than the Bills making the Super Bowl, that will change)

Peter King - bad unless he writes something nice about Jim Kelly

Colin Cowherd - bad (I forget why, but I know we don't like him right now)

Skip Bayless - bad (thinks we should pick up Vick)

Tim Graham (waiting for exit poll numbers)

John Clayton - good this might be the most shocking development since tht Owens signing

Gene Wojciechowski - bad

Lori - since she's one of our regulars here, she gets a pass, but only as long as she praises the Bills

The Dunkirk Disturber - bad

The Tonawanda Snooze - bad both these guys and the Disturber wrote unflattering op-eds about Terrell Owens

Pete Prisco - bad, he thinks we'll be luck to make 7-9 and end up 31th overall

The Sporting News - good, we like them because they said the Bills are 1 of 5 teams ready to crash the playoff party

Any other questions?

ESPN - bad Not always. I enjoy Mike and Mike.

Bill Simmons - eternally bad (nobody that I know of likes this douchenozzle) Guess that makes me the first. I've enjoyed reading Simmons' columns. He shouldn't be on TV though -- he's got an annoying high-pitched voice...higher than Michael Waltrip, and that's saying something.

Mel Kiper - good Agreed.

CBS Sports - bad see Pete Prisco towards bottom of list No opinion.

Yahoo Sports - bad Don't go on there enough, so no opinion.

Mort - bad (he'll never get out of this category... everyone here hates him) Maybe someday he'll get out.

Todd McShay - good Agreed

Don Banks - was bad, but is now good Who's he?

Jim Rome - good (I think, I can't remember, I heard him being spoke of fondly recently) I've listened to Rome for 11 years, and he's gotten better with age.

Gregg Easterbrook - good because he has relatives in this area I think? Terrific writer, and not just on sports. He's from Jamestown originally, IIRC.

Chris Berman - good (but once he announces someone other than the Bills making the Super Bowl, that will change) Living on borrowed time, like John Madden

Peter King - bad unless he writes something nice about Jim Kelly Don't really care much for King, but he did write some nice things about Cleveland a while back.

Colin Cowherd - bad (I forget why, but I know we don't like him right now) Arrogant know-it-all.

Skip Bayless - bad (thinks we should pick up Vick)Eternally bad. Never forgave him for his "Luckeyes" comments

Tim Graham (waiting for exit poll numbers) Agreed.

John Clayton - good this might be the most shocking development since tht Owens signing Not a huge fan.

Gene Wojciechowski - bad I actually like him. His book "Cubs Nation" was excellent.

Lori - since she's one of our regulars here, she gets a pass, but only as long as she praises the BillsLori should get a permanent pass, IMO.

The Dunkirk Disturber - bad Have no idea.

The Tonawanda Snooze - bad both these guys and the Disturber wrote unflattering op-eds about Terrell Owens Ditto.

Pete Prisco - bad, he thinks we'll be luck to make 7-9 and end up 31th overall 31th?

The Sporting News - good, we like them because they said the Bills are 1 of 5 teams ready to crash the playoff party Haven't read it in awhile.

Any other questions?

Jim Rome - good (I think, I can't remember, I heard him being spoke of fondly recently)

Jim Rome - bad - made some disparaging remarks about T.O. "tearing the team apart" and "stealing Hardy's jersey right off his back"

31th overall 31th?

:devil:

You didn't see yesterday's thread did you? Someone used the term 31th. I had to look at it 3 or 4 times to catch what was going on. It's one of those things that just LOOKS wrong, but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Jim Rome - bad - made some disparaging remarks about T.O. "tearing the team apart" and "stealing Hardy's jersey right off his back"

I'll change it momentarily.

BTW, these are NOT necessarily MY opinions on the media, but what I can glean from our esteemed panel here on TBD.

He got old.... HMMMMMMM....
What do you expect, he's ESPN's official Boston apologist...

To be fair, he did not dismiss the possibility of steroids. While I personally think that was the most likely case, I can't arbitrarily dismiss the age factor. Fat old sluggers usually fall off ridiculously fast. Mo Vaugh, Cecil Fielder, Big Fat Papi...

To be fair, he did not dismiss the possibility of steroids. While I personally think that was the most likely case, I can't arbitrarily dismiss the age factor. Fat old sluggers usually fall off ridiculously fast. Mo Vaugh, Cecil Fielder, Big Fat Papi...

Manny get suspended and Papi hits a deep slump...coincidence? The 2004 World Series MVP was a syringe. Cowboy up!

PTR

Manny get suspended and Papi hits a deep slump...coincidence? The 2004 World Series MVP was a syringe. Cowboy up!

PTR

How many World Series Champs in the past decade can we say are under the suspicion of serious steroid use among the winning teams superstars.

Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens, Albert Puhols, not to mention the hundreds of other major leaguers that were juicing at the time. Lets not be naive here.

ESPN - bad

Bill Simmons - eternally bad (nobody that I know of likes this douchenozzle)

Mel Kiper - good

CBS Sports - bad see Pete Prisco towards bottom of list

Yahoo Sports - bad

Mort - bad (he'll never get out of this category... everyone here hates him)

Todd McShay - good

Don Banks - was bad, but is now good

Gregg Easterbrook - good because he has relatives in this area I think?

Chris Berman - good (but once he announces someone other than the Bills making the Super Bowl, that will change)

Peter King - bad unless he writes something nice about Jim Kelly

Colin Cowherd - bad (I forget why, but I know we don't like him right now)

Skip Bayless - bad (thinks we should pick up Vick)

Tim Graham (waiting for exit poll numbers)

John Clayton - good this might be the most shocking development since tht Owens signing

Gene Wojciechowski - bad

Lori - since she's one of our regulars here, she gets a pass, but only as long as she praises the Bills

The Dunkirk Disturber - bad

The Tonawanda Snooze - bad both these guys and the Disturber wrote unflattering op-eds about Terrell Owens

Pete Prisco - bad, he thinks we'll be luck to make 7-9 and end up 31th overall

The Sporting News - good, we like them because they said the Bills are 1 of 5 teams ready to crash the playoff party

Any other questions?

LOL!

I've seen many negative things about Rome, so you scratch him, too.........I had the feeling that Lori was in the media. What does she do?

Count me among the Simmons sycophants. He's pretty much the only reason I watch the NBA (although, this post-season has been pretty good). Adam Carolla tweeted that he was having a Skype call in with him today, but I didn't check in. I'm looking forward to the podcast. It's usually pretty good when those guys get together.

As far as the decline of sluggers, check out my childhood favorite - Michael Jack Schmidt. In his last season, he hit two bombs in the first two games. Another 3 in April, and 1 on May 2nd. After that he said that balls he was "crushing" weren't making it to the warning track. He retired Memorial Day weekend. He was 40.

When it goes, it goes quickly.

Count me among the Simmons sycophants. He's pretty much the only reason I watch the NBA (although, this post-season has been pretty good). Adam Carolla tweeted that he was having a Skype call in with him today, but I didn't check in. I'm looking forward to the podcast. It's usually pretty good when those guys get together.

As far as the decline of sluggers, check out my childhood favorite - Michael Jack Schmidt. In his last season, he hit two bombs in the first two games. Another 3 in April, and 1 on May 2nd. After that he said that balls he was "crushing" weren't making it to the warning track. He retired Memorial Day weekend. He was 40.

not at age 33 or 37 or whatever he is. and not from powerhitter to zero in one yr. It took Schmidt a couple yrs to decline--and he only played partial seasons the last two.

I'm actually listening to Carolla's podcast right now.........if you're a fan they are great - every day he has one..........So,will the Simmons podcast be on espn.com or on Adam's site?

I'm actually listening to Carolla's podcast right now.........if you're a fan they are great - every day he has one..........So,will the Simmons podcast be on espn.com or on Adam's site?

I think it will be on Adam's site. Adam mentioned in his twitter that they would be taking Skype calls. I don't think ESPN would be up for that on the BS Report. No telling when it will be posted, either. They ran the Byron Allen episode a couple of days after DAG, but you could hear DAG in the background of Byron's so they did both the same day and ran DAG first.

It's all good. :wallbash:

I think it will be on Adam's site. Adam mentioned in his twitter that they would be taking Skype calls. I don't think ESPN would be up for that on the BS Report. No telling when it will be posted, either. They ran the Byron Allen episode a couple of days after DAG, but you could hear DAG in the background of Byron's so they did both the same day and ran DAG first.

It's all good. :lol:

It's today's podcast: http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/