The last 2 minutes

Has anyone else noticed that the Bills consistently waste the last 2 minutes of the half when they get the ball. Back in Kelly's days, if the Bills got the ball with even 30 seconds left in the half, they would take a shot to move the ball to at least attempt a field goal. Often times, getting touchdowns. As I recall, one game against the Dolphins, there were a total of 3 scores in final two minutes of the half. But it seems under the DJ era, we always just sit on the ball and run out the clock. Does DJ just like to squander possessions? What is his deal?

Has anyone else noticed that the Bills consistently waste the last 2 minutes of the half when they get the ball. Back in Kelly's days, if the Bills got the ball with even 30 seconds left in the half, they would take a shot to move the ball to at least attempt a field goal. Often times, getting touchdowns. As I recall, one game against the Dolphins, there were a total of 3 scores in final two minutes of the half. But it seems under the DJ era, we always just sit on the ball and run out the clock. Does DJ just like to squander possessions? What is his deal?

Three words: personnel, trust, field position (ok that's four words).

GO BILLS!!!

My answers to your questions:

Yes.

Yes.

And to steal Dennis Green's quote, Dick Jauron is who we thought he was. I've never walked out of Rich/RWS wanting a coach fired THAT DAY, until the playcalling at the end of the Cleveland MNF game sent me over the edge. When Lynch dove into the line on first down from the 35, everyone around me was confused. Not me -- as soon as I saw that, I shook my head in disbelief and said, "You'd bleeping well better make this, Rian."

And of course, he didn't. I don't blame him, I blame the guy who thought 50 yards (into a bit of a headwind) was close enough.

Yes.

Yes.

And to steal Dennis Green's quote, Dick Jauron is who we thought he was. I've never walked out of Rich/RWS wanting a coach fired THAT DAY, until the playcalling at the end of the Cleveland MNF game sent me over the edge. When Lynch dove into the line on first down from the 35, everyone around me was confused. Not me -- as soon as I saw that, I shook my head in disbelief and said, "You'd bleeping well better make this, Rian."

And of course, he didn't. I don't blame him, I blame the guy who thought 50 yards (into a bit of a headwind) was close enough.

It's tough to win in the NFL. And, statistically we had a good chance of making it. Rian had a good day of practice of Friday. :devil:

It's tough to win in the NFL. And, statistically we had a good chance of making it. Rian had a good day of practice of Friday. :devil:

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...

Yes.

Yes.

I've never experienced a season like last year, where on so many different occasions I wanted the coaching staff fired immediately.

Think about it...Cleveland...San Francisco...NY Jets...the final game against the Pats*...I still can't believe Jauron wasn't canned the day the season ended.

I've never experienced a season like last year, where on so many different occasions I wanted the coaching staff fired immediately.

Think about it...Cleveland...San Francisco...NY Jets...the final game against the Pats*...I still can't believe Jauron wasn't canned the day the season ended.

None of that can be traced back to Mr. Jauron. Reliable sources have explained to me that the players failed, not the coaches. Please rethink your philosophy and call me in the morning. :devil:

None of that can be traced back to Mr. Jauron. Reliable sources have explained to me that the players failed, not the coaches. Please rethink your philosophy and call me in the morning. :devil:

We're not starting this again. Players are imperfect and will fail, however, a good coach will put the players in a better chance to succeed.

Norwood - wide right - player failure - coaching was there

Harmon - dropped TD reception in 89 WC game - player failure - coaching was there

Lindell - wide right at Cleveland - player failure - coaching failure as there was plenty of time to secure a higher percentage fg

Losman - fumble in Jets game - player failure - coaching failure as there was no reason to be passing

So the players let the coaches down by not limiting their imperfections?

Players have shortcomings, no matter how good they are. Obviously some more than others. However, when a player fails, there is most likely a degree of coaching failure as well.

When Thurman Thomas, who is typically surehanded, fumbles the football in the Superbowl, I wouldn't call that a coaching failure. The player lost the ball doing a routine play

When Robert Royal, who likes to play hot potato with the football, fumbles the ball, there is a degree of coaching failure as I would fathom he loses the ball consistently in practice, similar to his game day performance, therefore from a coaching perspective he should not be put into a position to lose the ball - thus don't throw to him, or even put him on the field (they finally got it right and let his stone hands loose)

Players who fail to perform should be cut (not 1 off failures, but consistent failures or big failures), i.e. Ronnie Harmon - game on the line, perfectly thrown ball, right play call, wide open, no pressure drop. Next day he was cut. Billy Joe "I didn't know the plays" Hobert - cut immediately. Lately, it seems, they have too much leniency for player failures, but now I'm rambling, so let's save that for another post.

So the players let the coaches down by not limiting their imperfections?

Now, now, no need to have fun at someone else's expense...

You really thought Ralph would eat that fresh DJ contract??

It was such a mind-boggling display of consistent ineptitude that I almost certainly would have...

What bothers me is that statistically, when you have the ball past a certain point on the field you are more likely to score than the defense is. You also have an opportunity to have your offense run a few more plays and run down the defense. It just isnt as much fun for the fans and doesnt get the players pumped up when you are overly cautious like that.

As far as the whole players failing thing, its hard to coach a jerk or an unfocused guy. But that is the coaches job. Last year's debacles were largely failures of effort, not lack of preparedness. Jauron does a good job of teaching his players the fundamentals and eliminating their mistakes. Especially in his first year it was apparent that the amount of fumbles, penalties, etc that players made was drastically reduced. We tackled better and the defensive backs showed vastly improved technique.

The front office shares some blame. Losman was demoralizing and was always going to choke. Losers should be cut.

I just watched our last superbowl loss again in slow motion and in HD. Some of our players were jerks. Our defensive backs consistently abandoned their techniques in the hopes of jumping a route and getting interceptions. Thomas was waving the ball around in front of the Dallas defenders in an effort to look cool and accentuate his fakes when he should have put his head down and run because he wasnt going to juke all four defenders in front of him. On that play, he was a jerk.

Bruce Smith tried to sack the QB on obvious running downs, even when he was supposed to stay in place and play the run. On those plays, he was a jerk. Sometimes our tight ends and wide receivers didnt hit blitzing players in the hopes that they would quickly be thrown the ball. That is a jerk move.

You dont see a lot of that on Jaurons teams. But last year he failed to motivate a team that quit on him.