Rogers group to buy Rams?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of canadians coming to Bills games is vastly overstated here.

I'm not sure if this is true, or not. You offer no evidence, though. Do you have a leg to stand on, here, or is this your usual bulls#it?

took a while, but i found the story

Wilson/Rogers TO presser

grafs 14-16:

"Those partners are Blue Jays owner Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors.

The two have formed a partnership to pursue an NFL franchise. The deal with the Bills is considered their first concrete step toward achieving that goal, and an opportunity to showcase Toronto's potential to the league.

The deal with the Bills wouldn't preclude Rogers and Tanenbaum from making bids to buy and relocate other NFL franchises if they go up for sale."

finally someone with some evidence. there was also an article in the toronto star about them possibly going after the Rams. Heck if this happened, the bills would receive some type of compensation I'd think, and it would allow for Golisano or someone else to still compete once the team is up for sale.

all this said, the most likely spot for the rams is LA. They have had poor attendance figures for awhile now, so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see them go back to LA. Unless Toronto is really going to up their anti for the team. I still don' think it cuts into the Bills that much, mostly because the Bills fans we currently have are in Ft. Erie, Niagara, Hamilton, etc. And from reading posts on here, it seems that Buffalo is far more fan friendly for tailgating and making it an 'event' than toronto is to open public drinking. but hey this is all jsut my opinion...

Yes, we know.

What do you mean here, Senator? What is it about Provincetown that you're getting at?

I'm not sure if this is true, or not. You offer no evidence, though. Do you have a leg to stand on, here, or is this your usual bulls#it?

Well, The Dean, it may not be as solid a foothold on fact as, say, "Peter's greatness is his athleticism. He is SUPREMELY talented athletically", but the numbers "estimated" by the Bills themselves are "up to" 10,000. Maybe it's half that--who knows. But, as I said, you can easily see more opposing fans than at our home games, so all this hand wringing about not having Canadians to support the Bills is overblown. These games sell out every week. The secondary market is already filling with tickets above their face value.

BS? Back in the toaster, Dean.

What do you mean here, Senator? What is it about Provincetown that you're getting at?

Well, The Dean, it may not be as solid a foothold on fact as, say, "Peter's greatness is his athleticism. He is SUPREMELY talented athletically", but the numbers "estimated" by the Bills themselves are "up to" 10,000. Maybe it's half that--who knows. But, as I said, you can easily see more opposing fans than at our home games, so all this hand wringing about not having Canadians to support the Bills is overblown. These games sell out every week. The secondary market is already filling with tickets above their face value.

BS? Back in the toaster, Dean.

Do you have any backup for the Bills number being 10,000, or your assumption that it might be "half that"? Still sounds like BS.

link

Do you have any backup for the Bills number being 10,000, or your assumption that it might be "half that"? Still sounds like BS.

Here you go Dean.

link

You could have looked that up yourself.

The "half that" was my estimation, which is probably as sound as the team's guess at a 10,000 number.

link

Here you go Dean.

link

You could have looked that up yourself.

The "half that" was my estimation, which is probably as sound as the team's guess at a 10,000 number.

Do you think the Bills just make the numbers up, like you do? They know where the season holders are, they know where they send tickets, who pays with Canadian credit cards, etc. And they do actual research.

Also, John Wawrow claims the Bills get an average of 15,000 Canadian fans per game, at the Ralph. Perhaps he can fill us in on where he gets his figures. Unlike WEO, I'm fairly sure John doesn't simply make them up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7101900608.html

Also, John Wawrow claims the Bills get an average of 15,000 Canadian fans per game, at the Ralph. Perhaps he can fill us in on where he gets his figures. Unlike WEO, I'm fairly sure John doesn't simply make them up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7101900608.html

I'd be willing to bet you just discovered the source for that Associated Content story you linked.

AP: "The games would be played at Rogers Center, a downtown stadium with a retractable roof that serves as home to baseball's Blue Jays and the Canadian Football League Argonauts."
AC: "The games would be played at the Rogers Center which is a stadium with a retractable roof in downtown Toronto. The stadium is the current home to the Toronto Blue Jays as well as the Canadian Football League Toronto Argonauts."

AP: "The Bills require both county and state approval to play "home games" outside of Ralph Wilson Stadium as a condition of their lease, which runs through 2012. The lease requires the team to play half its preseason and all regular-season home games at the Orchard Park facility.

The team began the process by sending a letter of request to Erie County on Wednesday.

The Bills would also need approval from the NFL, considered a formality with the league already scheduling games in international markets. In two weeks, Miami and the New York Giants will play at London's Wembley Stadium in the first NFL game outside North America. In 2005, Arizona and San Francisco played in Mexico City in the first regular-season game outside the United States. "

AC: "The Bills need approval to play their home games anywhere other than at Ralph Wilson Stadium due to specifications in their leasing contract. Their current contract is set to end in 2012. If permission is granted from Ralph Wilson, the Bills will also need approval from the NFL, but this shouldn't pose too much of a problem seeing as NFL games have previously been played outside of the United States."

Go figure. :lol:

I'd be willing to bet you just discovered the source for that Associated Content story you linked.

Go figure. :lol:

Can you say "plagiarism"?

Yikes!

I hope you made a phone call, or sent a complaint. Just to let them know you know.

EDIT: What happened to your post, Lo?

I pulled it ... but the heck with it, I'm putting it back. And yeah, their guy heard from our guy.

Can you say "plagiarism"?

At least she rewrote, unlike most of this example.

(Not that I'm touchy about the subject, or anything ...)

thanks, folks, and noted. i'll resist the urge to say anything more in regards to the coincidences noted above.

as for the 15,000 number i got was one provided by Bills. also consider that Sabres estimate 15-20 percent of their house is also Canadian, so it's in the same ballpark, so to speak.

jw

ADD: should be noted that in my experience, not all canadians attending games are "bills fans," some are fans of the other team, others here for the experience. so Mr. Weo's claim that there weren't many bills fans at game in toronto is a little specious, especially this claim that there are more fans from pittsburgh and cleveland than from canada. how can anyone tell?

heck, who knows if half the browns fans at RWS are from canada. can't prove it one way or another, really.

so it's a little over-eager to come to any conclusions on toronto fan interest or canadians attending games at RWS, i think.

You can have a brand new stadium but if no one goes to the games then whats the point of having a team. People here in St. Louis are not football fans, they are big on the Cardinals and Blues. Rams are a waste of time.. no one goes to the games.