Rams to be sold; could move

And you should ALL take note of the NFC west blog post that was linked in that article: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcwest/0-9-165...shakier.html%22

I had expected the Rams to take this step earlier given the massive estate-tax bill the current ownership group assumed once longtime owner Georgia Frontiere passed in January 2008. A prominent St. Louis tax expert provided the following information to me at that time:

The tax is due nine months after the date of death.

Upon application, the IRS has discretion to extend the payment date. This is usually for a limited amount of time. An extension prevents late-payment penalties, but interest will still be due from the original due date for payment.

There are also circumstances where payment of the tax can be deferred for a number of years. (Again, interest must still be paid.) Whether extended deferred payment is available is often a complicated question.

Ms. Frontiere's estate might be able to borrow to pay the tax. Or it might have assets other than the franchise that it can liquidate to pay the tax. Absent those options, and absent a deferral as described above, the estate would probably consider selling its interest in the franchise.

I asked the Rams to clarify this last season. They refused. I had not followed up on the matter this offseason. I do not know to what extent the estate-tax situation might be playing into Rosenbloom's decision. However, I wanted to pass along the information at this time, as it could help us understand one of the potential issues.

Didn't LA have a new stadium proposal up for a vote? Seems like this is all playing perfectly for that buyer.

with the situation in California right now--I highly doubt ANY public funds would get approved in any municipality there.

It better be a private deal.

The Toronto Rams!

That will not happen. The NFL considers Toronto part of the Bills' territory. So...

1. either the Bills have to move to Toronto

2. or the Bills go somewhere else, then Toronto brings in another team.

I think the league has learned its lesson about L.A., not making a firm commitment to providing a team there, then watching helplessly as the Raiders grabbed the opportunity, then sitting on its hands when the Raiders retreated to Oakland. They know its not a football town, but they can't afford to stay away from all that potential money if there is a stadium with a lot of corporate suites.