Interesting tid bit per John Murphy (not confirmed)

per some guy on BB.com, John Murphy did a section on Bowen, and he said that Bowen will compete to start this year. Fewell also said Bowen would have started over Ellison last year had he not gotten injured.

Anyone else see this? I don't watch the local news.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

per some guy on BB.com, John Murphy did a section on Bowen, and he said that Bowen will compete to start this year. Fewell also said Bowen would have started over Ellison last year had he not gotten injured.

I had heard reports the Bills were extremely impressed with Bowen in camp before his injury...

Sounds like kool aid sent over from the Bills Front office delivered to John Murphy with his milk.

If we are pinning our hopes on a late round, torn-ACL recovering, essential rookie to fill in our OLB hole...we are in a lot of trouble.

You're supposed to believe everything that comes from OBD, including the hype on players who've never played a down in the NFL. Bowen was a tackling machine at Iowa State, but returning from an ACL tear and having not played in the league is not something a reasonable fan should expect to work. That, and Demetrius Bell becoming a quality NFL starter. These two story lines will only grow as the season approaches, and it's an effort to excuse the front office for not pursuing proven NFL players.

You're supposed to believe everything that comes from OBD, including the hype on players who've never played a down in the NFL. Bowen was a tackling machine at Iowa State, but returning from an ACL tear and having not played in the league is not something a reasonable fan should expect to work. That, and Demetrius Bell becoming a quality NFL starter. These two story lines will only grow as the season approaches, and it's an effort to excuse the front office for not pursuing proven NFL players.

I'm not sure anyone here is expecting Bowen or Bell to step in and become huge playmakers this year, but to have a little positive feed back about some young players isn't a bad thing. If you want to spin it and continue on with your little boo hoo campaign, go ahead. Just know that the line is drawn already and you aren't gaining any new members. If we get some moderate production out of these kids it's a good thing. Please don't downplay their gains because you got your panties in a bunch over the Bills not signing a mediocre Lb.

If true, this is a strange report.

First of all, Crowell still was the starter at the time Bowen got hurt.

But the thing that doesn't add up for me is that when Bowen went down, I was told by a source who would know that the Bills pegged Bowen as their "fifth or sixth" linebacker and almost purely a special teamer.

Granted, Bowen could have worked his way into the starting lineup with a great camp, but the period up until he got hurt was all the evaluation Fewell would have had to go by ... And if Bowen was projecting as the fifth or sixth linebacker then, how could Fewell declare he would have started for Crowell with no additional information?

But the thing that doesn't add up for me is that when Bowen went down, I was told by a source who would know that the Bills pegged Bowen as their "fifth or sixth" linebacker and almost purely a special teamer.

Granted, Bowen could have worked his way into the starting lineup with a great camp, but the period up until he got hurt was all the evaluation Fewell would have had to go by ... And if Bowen was projecting as the fifth or sixth linebacker then, how could Fewell declare he would have started for Crowell with no additional information?

good summary tim. keep fan-atics nuts honest.

Hmm...Tim Graham or some guy on BB.com. Who to believe?

Bowen will be cut or on the PS this year, waiting for the knee to get to 100%. That's my prediction.

I'm not sure anyone here is expecting Bowen or Bell to step in and become huge playmakers this year, but to have a little positive feed back about some young players isn't a bad thing. If you want to spin it and continue on with your little boo hoo campaign, go ahead. Just know that the line is drawn already and you aren't gaining any new members. If we get some moderate production out of these kids it's a good thing. Please don't downplay their gains because you got your panties in a bunch over the Bills not signing a mediocre Lb.

Hopefully Bowen will help our this year but... Do you really believe that Bowen is going to step in and start against New England on Monday Night? If we have to live with what we have than I want Poz outside and DiGreggorio in the middle.

Bowen, Ellison and Harris can fight it out with Corto and Costazso and a couple of UDFA's for the next best guy. Not a very strong cast of reserve linebackers.

I could care less about Pisa. There will be other options out there before training camp opens.

just for craps and giggles compare the Bills LB's to Pats LB's. It's not a pretty picture.

dont buy that BS. tom modrak 3 months ago in a vidio for buffalo bills .com when asked about bowen.

"nice back up linebacker who can help us out on special teams"

that sure as hell does not sound like a ringing endorsement for the kid and modrak did draft him.

anyone who thinks he has a legitimate shot to be our starting OLB is dreaming.

Compliance LB > Ellison

I served Alvin Bowen and his family last October, very nice kid.

Awesome dude, we screwed all of his food up and he was very understanding. I made some crack about the Compliance Linebacker going back to the kitchen and the whole party got a big kick out of it. Totally down-to-earth and approachable. Seemed like a guy who really loves the game. Most of these guys don't keep you going if you start any football talk but Bowen seemed to enjoy it.

Im rambling. The point is that I mentioned something to him about being a terror on special teams and he claimed that just before he got injured he had been getting 2nd and some 1st team reps. Seemed very proud of this.

Also this just in: Andre Reed is apparently took his lessons on tipping for service from George Costanza.

I should clarify, Bowen would have started over Ellison. If Crowell wasn't IRed, he would have started. I'm just posting what a few other people heard... so it could be wrong.