So for all you parents out there

plenzmd1

I'm sorry, how many children do you have, and how many have you raised??

You're pity posts are over whelming, grow up. Wait, never mind. :ph34r:

Hey man, I just try to be a nice guy...out in the real world and here. If you have some need to mock me when I'm trying to be nice, then so be it...I won't further interfere with you. Just know that calling people things like "idiot" when they don't provoke you casts a very negative light on your personality.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are right on top of it. Be concerned, monitor the situation, have the kid over for dinner with the family and get to know him, and you'll be able to get a decent handle on the situation. That you are this concerned and involved already, suggests you will know if things start to get hinky, IMO.

Yup. Nobody said this earlier. Nope

Sounds like the 13 year old could use a surrogate father "friend" in his life. How about giving him some guidance and help the best way a grown male who is a dad can do. Nobody is asking you to adopt him but how about some parental fatherly guidance since he has none in his life and surely he needs help because of his disability. If you are worried about him then let him earn your trust with your kids over time. If problems arise then just deal with it if any come along. Sounds to me like he is more mentally and socially deficient but not violent.....if you are concerned talk with his guardians and find out if he is violent and get to know this kid before passing judgement. Just my 2 cents..... :ph34r:

Your experience with your children has been so helpful over the last few years, thanks for your advice. I've applied that advice to raising my children. Its been so successful, thanks. :ph34r:

Don't misunderstand me. I know you probably learned a lot, raising your children. In your case it probably was a more productive use of your time, than finishing the sixth grade.

Don't misunderstand me. I know you probably learned a lot, raising your children. In your case it probably was a more productive use of your time, than finishing the sixth grade.

Thats the best you got? Weak??????

Though thats not surprising, you have a history of being a weak kneed liimp dicked liberal suckoff.

Sorry,Plenz, he started it. :ph34r:

Weak? It was spectacular! I even omitted the part where I mention how unlikely it would have been for you to pass the sixth grade, seeing as it was your fourth attempt. I thought that might be piling-on.

Weak? It was spectacular! I even omitted the part where I mention how unlikely it would have been for you to pass the sixth grade, seeing as it was your fourth attempt. I thought that might be piling-on.

:ph34r: Sixth grade? You have never seen spectacular in your life. Loser has your name written all over it. Move much?

The funny part is, I have children, I know what its like to have children, and you dont, and you never will have children. You on the other hand, at 50, are a poodle headed drunk, and will always be

:ph34r: Sixth grade? You have never seen spectacular in your life. Loser has your name written all over it. Move much?

The funny part is, I have children, I know what its like to have children, and you dont, and you never will have children. You on the other hand, at 50, are a poodle headed drunk, and will always be

Since this thread is about kids, I see you two have resulted to fit the mold.

Hope this helps!

That helps, at least with my opinon. 13 year olds may be starting to explore their sexuality. Hell I can tell you this, when I was 13, I was starting to think about girls. You mentioned your daughter, nough said.

As a parrent of two daughters I know what you're thinking, Bro. Mine are 7 and 6.

Man, I'not sure what else to sugest other than what I already have. Best of luck, Plenz.

(walks away thinking of my girls teenage years :thumbsup: )

Hell..when you were thirteen you were thinking about girls, little boys, sheep, and they had to keep the family dog away from you. We're talking about a kid who might have FAS but falls within the range of normal. Hell...if I were around you at thirteen I'd definitely sleep with one eye open! :ph34r:

So, am I being an ass and an overprotective helicopter parent and just a mean ole bugger who cannot see this kid is hurting and just needs some friends, no matter what age?

Or, am I being properly cautious and need to think of my own kids at all costs first??? After all, 1 13 year old hanging with an 8 year old sends red flags up all day, notwithstanding the circumstances.

They're your kids, you'd protect them with your life. Keep an eye on the situation, casually ask your children what they do with the 13 year old, what he talks about, etc. Give them advice as to how to get out of an uncomfortable situation and where to go for help if necessary.

Exactly. Funny how parent less folk post their opinion so quickly, even the young-ins. :ph34r:

I'd monitor this relationship very very closely. Has he demonstrated any violent behavior? Has he demonstrated any manipulative behavior? An evening for dinner at his house with his new (family) care givers with your family would help some I would suspect. an opportunity to see living conditions. In addition, was he abused as a child? Tons of stuff to know. Protect your kids. Sorry Plez, don't mean to speak down to you, and I don't mean to, you're a smart guy. Cover your ass. :thumbsup:

So those of us who have don't have kids don't deserve an opinion? Obviously only those with kids are the ones who have any clue on how to raise a kid. I mean, its entirely impossible for someone without kids to form parenting opinions based on how they plan to raise their kids and how they were raised by their own parents, right?

Plenz - make the choice based on your own personal feelings and beliefs. Be cautious with any new friend. But the age difference isn't everything. As was mentioned earlier, the type/quality of the kids your kids make friends with is quite a bit more important than a few years age difference.

Took you a while to come up with that bullshiit, I respect that. Good work. Still doesn't take into account of you not being a parent, and knowing what the !@#$ we go through. So, in your words, I'll respectfully tell you to shut the !@#$ up.K? :ph34r:

Not only are you an idiot on the PPP, you do it as well here. :thumbsup:

With all due respect, simply being a "parent" doesn't make you an expert on raising children. I can say that since I am a parent (times 3).

I personally wouldn't have a problem with this friendship, it's bound to dissolve when the kid gets to know others in his age group...just monitor it.

Though thats not surprising, you have a history of being a weak kneed liimp dicked liberal suckoff.

Sorry,Plenz, he started it. :ph34r:

You're just a pure class act aren't you? Nothing like bringing politics into a father's request for some sound advice....

Plenzmid, both the child-rearing and child-less have brought up the same recurring thought: monitor the situation closely, ask your children about their experiences with this child after each 'play session' and try to make the child a part of your life too. I really liked the suggestion that said that this could be an opportunity for you to be a role model in another child's life. Particularly one who's had the misfortune of being dealt alcoholic parents.

The fact that you seek the advice of others tells me volumes of how good a parent you are. You'll make the right call here.

For those of you claiming the age difference is inconsequential, it can be....if the extent of their relationship is just common activities (i.e. kids you play baseball with or tag along with to the park to play sports, videogames, etc.). If its a 'bff' thing, where the younger child is spending all his time with the older one....there's room for concern.

And no 'erynthered' I haven't been blessed enough to be a parent yet, but I was an elementary school teacher for 5 years. Gives me a little perspective on children's relationships with their peers.

Heres what you do man. MAKE A POSITIVE DIFFERENCE IN THAT KIDS LIFE! BE A FATHER FIGURE TO HIM!

Ive done Big Bros/Sisters for years and I have seen a ton of cases like this. Be a father to the kid and let that kid feel being loved by a family. It goes miles man. If you push him away from your kids and they are all friends, then you are doing what everyone has done to that kid his whole life. Take the kid in and include his in your family. Everything will work out from there. I doubt he is a threat to your family. If he has not hit or fights with your kids, then his intentions are honest. Keep a watchful eye but give that kid a chance and help him out.

Let things be and reserve judgement for actual negative things happening because of them hanging out and not based on his background and how he looks. Set the right example for your kids by not prejudging someone. When i was in elementary school in the early 80's I naturally befriended one of the only black kids in my school. Not knowing there was a big deal about black and white, I didn't understand why everyone was asking me questions after i would hang out at hi house. Let kids be kids without all of the bullsheet we adults implement.