So for all you parents out there

plenzmd1

Should mention that while not the best of friends with his new family, we are very friendly with them ,(have happy hour and and the such with them maybe 4 times a year) and i have already discussed my concerns with them. They totally get why I am concerned, but feel the concerns are unwarranted. BTW, the kid has been nothing but nice to everybody and displays no behaviour which suggests he is violent or anything like that.

I am more worried that what interests a typical 13 year old is not appropriate for an 8 year old. Now, with this FAS, maybe they are closer to the same interests. That might be an explanation

That helps, at least with my opinon. 13 year olds may be starting to explore their sexuality. Hell I can tell you this, when I was 13, I was starting to think about girls. You mentioned your daughter, nough said.

As a parrent of two daughters I know what you're thinking, Bro. Mine are 7 and 6.

Man, I'not sure what else to sugest other than what I already have. Best of luck, Plenz.

(walks away thinking of my girls teenage years :blink: )

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well welcome to the real world in 2008.

Bugs Bunny is no longer on TV.

the shows on TV and the internet don't just allude to raging hormones, but give a how-to primer that's a bit more cause for concern.

but hey - if the kids get abused they can always get fixed by going to therapy.

Sage is 18 years old. He has sage advice

Sage is 18 years old. He has sage advice

I don't know what you have against me, but it seems like you've always got a bone to pick. I'm not 18. Anyway, are we back to this thing where you insinuate my opinion is worthless because of my age?

If you read my first post, you'll note that I suggest plenz should definitely get to know the kid before he encourages the friendship. Heck, I had several neighborhood friends who were all 3-5 years older than me when I was a kid...there really weren't any kids my age on the block. We had fun, they liked beating me at basketball. They were my heroes, I was their little sidekick. I'm still in contact with a couple of them.

I didn't say plenz shouldn't be careful, I just said that he shouldn't automatically shun what might be a nice relationship.

I don't know what you have against me, but it seems like you've always got a bone to pick. I'm not 18. Anyway, are we back to this thing where you insinuate my opinion is worthless because of my age?

If you read my first post, you'll note that I suggest plenz should definitely get to know the kid before he encourages the friendship. Heck, I had several neighborhood friends who were all 3-5 years older than me when I was a kid...there really weren't any kids my age on the block. We had fun, they liked beating me at basketball. They were my heroes, I was their little sidekick. I'm still in contact with a couple of them.

I didn't say plenz shouldn't be careful, I just said that he shouldn't automatically shun what might be a nice relationship.

So, you're 20? Sorry.

.......and yes your opinion wrt to children is worthless.

That helps, at least with my opinon. 13 year olds may be starting to explore their sexuality. Hell I can tell you this, when I was 13, I was starting to think about girls. You mentioned your daughter, nough said.

As a parrent of two daughters I know what you're thinking, Bro. Mine are 7 and 6.

Man, I'not sure what else to sugest other than what I already have. Best of luck, Plenz.

(walks away thinking of my girls teenage years :ph34r: )

We on the same page.

I respectfully disagree. Surely, I can't provide as much insight as the parents on this board...but worthless? You can provide logic without actually having experience something.

Agree with you as well Sage. Things change when you have your own, but thats does not mean your opinioon is worthless. I learned about this FAS thing today from several people I am guessing have no kids as an example.

I respectfully disagree. Surely, I can't provide as much insight as the parents on this board...but worthless? You can provide logic without actually having experience something.

Took you a while to come up with that bullshiit, I respect that. Good work. Still doesn't take into account of you not being a parent, and knowing what the !@#$ we go through. So, in your words, I'll respectfully tell you to shut the !@#$ up.K? :ph34r:

Not only are you an idiot on the PPP, you do it as well here. :thumbsup:

Never trust kids - even your own. They have yet to be fully formed. They have only turned but a few pages in the Book of Life. They are ignorant, and its' up to adults to guide them through minefields.

If I believed in God, I would thank him every day for not making you one of my parents. :ph34r:

Agree with you as well Sage. Things change when you have your own, but thats does not mean your opinioon is worthless. I learned about this FAS thing today from several people I am guessing have no kids as an example.

Thanks, plenz. It sounds like your kids have a lot of character and you should be proud of that. This is the sort of kid that will probably get picked on a lot by his peers, and the fact that your children have befriended him without any prompting speaks volumes about them. :ph34r:

You're to kind.

Dude if you had to end the relationship with this boy and your children could you do it. For what ever reason? Sage is wrong, cause he's never been there. Outside opinion is nice, its read in the Time Mags, or USA todays paper. Its not real liffe, as your story describes.

Since I have no practical parenting experience, I'll simply give you my own little anecdote. Last month I was out and about with some folks from WNY. A girl came up to me and said, "Aren't you, Hops Von Hopper*?" I replied, "I sure am!" She said, "I'm XXX XXXXX, so-and-so's sister." We grew up in the same neighborhood. Her sister was a year or so older than me and I remember her as being a little kid. The image that came to mind when she said her name was of a 10 year old. So we talked for a few minutes supplying details on how we got here and what not. And I say, "So how old are you? 26-27?" At the age of 38, you'd think I'd know never to ask a woman her age, but I digress. She pauses and says, "I'm 34." My reaction was "How is that possible!?!" Then I did the math.

What I'm saying is that 4-5 years is a huge difference. HUGE! I thought I was MUCH older than her when I did the immediate extrapolation. Anyway plenz, you're probably right to be concerned. Keep your eye on the situation. My hunch is that the summer will be the difficult part. Once school starts up again, the kid will find older friends. Then the immature boy you'll be about whom you'll be most concerned will be wearing #81 for the Bills.

Good luck! :ph34r:

* Not my real name

Took you a while to come up with that bullshiit, I respect that. Good work. Still doesn't take into account of you not being a parent, and knowing what the !@#$ we go through. So, in your words, I'll respectfully tell you to shut the !@#$ up.K? :ph34r:

Not only are you an idiot on the PPP, you do it as well here. :thumbsup:

Did you notice how I was being polite and civil to you? Generally, that illicits a polite and civil response in return. But instead, I get insults. Mature.

By the way, the person seeking advice was kind enough to acknowledge that my opinion isn't worthless.

You're to kind.

Dude if you had to end the relationship with this boy and your children could you do it. For what ever reason? Sage is wrong, cause he's never been there. Outside opinion is nice, its read in the Time Mags, or USA todays paper. Its not real liffe, as your story describes.

I could and would end it in a nano second if conditions warrant. Like I said, attitudes and opinions change when you have your own, but i am appreciative of all those who pointed out this FAS. My guess is several of these folks have no children, and after researching thatv ailment for a bit, i think it gave me some insight into this kid. As I said, seems like a nice kid, so maybe explains a bit why he would want to hang out with my very much younger kids.

I appreciate what both of you said. As mentioned in first post, expect this kind of thing on a message board, but one can learn from the different opinions.

Should mention that while not the best of friends with his new family, we are very friendly with them ,(have happy hour and and the such with them maybe 4 times a year) and i have already discussed my concerns with them. They totally get why I am concerned, but feel the concerns are unwarranted. BTW, the kid has been nothing but nice to everybody and displays no behaviour which suggests he is violent or anything like that.

I am more worried that what interests a typical 13 year old is not appropriate for an 8 year old. Now, with this FAS, maybe they are closer to the same interests. That might be an explanation

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are right on top of it. Be concerned, monitor the situation, have the kid over for dinner with the family and get to know him, and you'll be able to get a decent handle on the situation. That you are this concerned and involved already, suggests you will know if things start to get hinky, IMO.

Did you notice how I was being polite and civil to you? Generally, that illicits a polite and civil response in return. But instead, I get insults. Mature.

By the way, the person seeking advice was kind enough to acknowledge that my opinion isn't worthless.

I'm sorry, how many children do you have, and how many have you raised??

You're pity posts are over whelming, grow up. Wait, never mind. :ph34r:

I'm sorry, how many children do you have, and how many have you raised??

You're pity posts are over whelming, grow up. Wait, never mind. :ph34r:

You really are a buffoon.

I could and would end it in a nano second if conditions warrant. Like I said, attitudes and opinions change when you have your own, but i am appreciative of all those who pointed out this FAS. My guess is several of these folks have no children, and after researching thatv ailment for a bit, i think it gave me some insight into this kid. As I said, seems like a nice kid, so maybe explains a bit why he would want to hang out with my very much younger kids.

I appreciate what both of you said. As mentioned in first post, expect this kind of thing on a message board, but one can learn from the different opinions.

I'll stop here. I have no doubt of your strength as to knocking this thing oout of the park, if it needs to be. My best, Plez :ph34r: