Edwards Hates Checking Down

Yeah we all know Trent is great at completions under 5 yards. The point is if he held the ball a little longer guys may get open that aren't for the first 15 seconds when he dumps the ball off. He may get a few more sacks but the rewards of the completed passes would be much greater.

You must not have been paying attention when Losman was at the helm.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we all know Trent is great at completions under 5 yards. The point is if he held the ball a little longer guys may get open that aren't for the first 15 seconds when he dumps the ball off. He may get a few more sacks but the rewards of the completed passes would be much greater.

And yet his YPA doesn't suggest a dink and dunker, now does it?

GO BILLS!!!

It's great that Trent did not get sacked a lot, however he needs to throw for MORE TD's & less INT's. I would take a sack over an INT anyday.

Okay, well Trent was also 20th in no. of INT's...so...

Yeah, he needs to throw more TD's, no kidding.

Sacks are jsut as bad sometimes. They can knock you out of field goal range or kill drives.

I agree the offense as a whole needs to score more tds though. However, Edwards only threw 5 less tds in 3 less games than Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan led his team to the playoffs & threw for 16 TD's for the year. If Trent can lead the Bills to the playoffs with 11 TD's that would be fine but I don't see it happening.

It's great that Trent did not get sacked a lot, however he needs to throw for MORE TD's & less INT's. I would take a sack over an INT anyday.

Please tell me you're just generalizing here.

GO BILLS!!!

Matt Ryan led his team to the playoffs & threw for 16 TD's for the year. If Trent can lead the Bills to the playoffs with 11 TD's that would be fine but I don't see it happening.

Ryan also had 2 former 1st rounders & the rushing champ in the backfield. He had way better talent than Edwards had.

People act as if being impatient is not a routine thing with young QBs. It often is. Combine that with a lack of confidence and it's no wonder Edwards didn't take more shots downfield on the FEW occassions Evans DID manage to beat his double teams.

It was obvious TE lost his confidence last year. No doubt about it. After the debacles against the Phins and Jets it was obvoius he reached his low point against Cleveland. He was literally afraid of screwing up on the big national stage. Ironically though, after the first quarter of that game, he settled down and did the correct thing by taking what Cleveland gave him. He battled. Didn't force anything and seemed to have regained some of that lost confidence. His best pass of the game was the one to Royal to set up the missed FG.

There is also a difference between being "risk averse" and knowing you need to have positive plays. Some people love the idea of wasting precious downs by just taking a shot down field regardless. Well, if you're not confident in yourself to make that shot and/or it just ain't there, the right thing to do is try to get positive yards when you can. Nothing wrong with letting Lynch/Jackso try to make a play.

Edwards and our offense just aren't to the point where we can dictate to defenses. Perhaps that changes this year with TO, Reed in the slot, and a TE that can stretch a seam. When defenses know what you CAN'T do you simply can't dictate. That simple. Hopefully our offense gives Ds a little more to worry about this season. If that happens I look for TE to take more chances.

GO BILLS!!!

I think I'd characterize it differently. Young QBs suffer timing problems in their offenses. It takes time and live-round reps to develop that timing. Rob Johnson was the poster boy of a young QB that held onto the ball far too long, missing the windows of opportunity, and hanging out diddling around in a collapsing pocket. Trent is just the polar opposite, preferring to get the ball out of his hand based on his read almost immediately rather than letting the play develop. One took an absurd number of sacks and the other takes hardly any. But, you really want a QB that can put points on the board, since that's how they keep score.

Too funny to see all the Trent fan apologists come to his defense. The fact is if Trent played better last year the Bills would have made the playoffs. Well this is a new year & Trent had better not check down all the time like he did last year or Mr. Owens will let him hear about it.

Too funny to see all the Trent fan apologists come to his defense. The fact is if Trent played better last year the Bills would have made the playoffs. Well this is a new year & Trent had better not check down all the time like he did last year or Mr. Owens will let him hear about it.

I'm sure you consider me a Trent "apologist" but I couldn't agree with you more: If the lack of Bills success was to be placed on ONE person's shoulders in 2008, it should have been Trent's. Not Jauron's, not Fairchild's, Evans, Lynch's Poz's, Whitner's, Stroud's, Lindel's, just Trent's.

I've said this all along.

The "apologies" that exist in this thread are retorts to your weak-ass criticisms of him, "he throws too many picks, he gets sacked too much, all he throws are short passes, etc."

The closest thing to reality from any of those gripes is him throwing "too many short passes," although I would re-state that as "he doesn't throw enough long passes."

There you go. Just had to make it about "Trent apologists" whatever that is. No sh*T the Bills would have made the playoffs with better QB play! No sh*T he's impatient and looks to check down too soon. You have a firm grasp of the obvious. I hope Owens lets him hear it if necessary. And, like Kelly did with his receivers, I hope Edwards has the balls to tell TO to shut the Fu*k up, too!

GO BILLS!!!

Go ahead and argue it, then. After his dismal 1st quarter when he went 3-7-25 yard w/ 3 INTs, he was a very efficient 13-19 for 123. Even in that bad 1st qtr he hit Parrish for 21 yards, and Johnson dropped another 1st down pass. Johnson had a 21 yard reception in the 3rd as well. In between there were all those dumpoffs for positive yards.

The larger point, not that it won't be lost on your Edwards bashing psyche, is that he rebounded from the worst quarter of football a QB could have and managed to help get his team in a position to win.

Nobody ever remembers Jackson's key fumble in that game. That was a game changer. Not to mention the missed FG.

GO BILLS!!!

The "very efficient 13-19 for 123 yards" is deceiving - half those passes were very bad throws to marshawn lynch that lynch manufactured yards with 110% effort. Lynch's YAC that game must have been through the roof. So I point out that I thought Edwards' game was sh------- and I have a "Edwards bashing psyche"? mmkay.

While your memory tells you that he "led his team to a position to win", mine tells me that Leodis McKelvin had more to do with us being in the game than Edwards did.

There you go. Just had to make it about "Trent apologists" whatever that is. No sh*T the Bills would have made the playoffs with better QB play! No sh*T he's impatient and looks to check down too soon. You have a firm grasp of the obvious. I hope Owens lets him hear it if necessary. And, like Kelly did with his receivers, I hope Edwards has the balls to tell TO to shut the Fu*k up, too!

GO BILLS!!!

I had to make it about the apologists because of the STUPID responses they posted. To bring JP & Rob Johnson (I was a Flutie fan) into this thread is just STUPID.

The "very efficient 13-19 for 123 yards" is deceiving - half those passes were very bad throws to marshawn lynch that lynch manufactured yards with 110% effort. Lynch's YAC that game must have been through the roof. So I point out that I thought Edwards' game was sh------- and I have a "Edwards bashing psyche"? mmkay.

While your memory tells you that he "led his team to a position to win", mine tells me that Leodis McKelvin had more to do with us being in the game than Edwards did.

Your argument was that the throw to Royal was his only good throw of the evening. Not true. As I pointed out.

As for your Edwards bashing psyche, it's a pattern of yours. You can deny it if you'd like, but the facts are facts. You don't like him as our QB. You were pissed when he was promoted to starter. So be it.

Again, you missed my larger point which was, that as bad a game as he played in the first quarter, we were still in position to win that game. I give credit to McKelvin. I give credit to Lynch. And I give credit to Edwards for hanging tough, scoring a TD of his own, and having left the field with his team in position to win, IN SPITE OF HIS POOR PLAY!

While your memory only conjures up the 3 INTS and his checkdowns, I saw a young QB try to battle under bad circumstances. Sorry he hasn't lived up to be the QB you were hoping the previous starter would turn out to be.

GO BILLS!!!

i disliked edwards because 1. i don't feel he earned the job when losman got injured 2. the people on this message board

after jp mailed it in last year, i no longer disliked edwards, but i'm not going to blindly dole out praise when none is warranted. he's the QB, and I hope that he does well. like i said earlier, i don't think he did anything well that game other than that last pass to royal. ooh, he scored a touchdown? wow, he burrowed his head down behind the center and fell forward. awesome achievement.

my optimism is decidedly guarded. call me a hater if you want.

i disliked edwards because 1. i don't feel he earned the job when losman got injured 2. the people on this message board

after jp mailed it in last year, i no longer disliked edwards, but i'm not going to blindly dole out praise when none is warranted. he's the QB, and I hope that he does well. like i said, i don't think he did anything well that game other than that last pass to royal.

1) You realize that Edwards outplayed JP in both preseasons right?

2) Losman lost the job several different times.

3) I used to like Losman (still like the person) but the fact that people still make excuses for him just drives me insane. He sucked in about 75% of his starts with 2 different coachign staffs after being handed the job without earning it.

Edwards may or may not be the answer but he is so far ahead of Losman at the same point in their careers, it's not even funny. The only reason Edwards gets the crap he does is because guys like Losman, RJ, Bledsoe, and Collins sucked so bad. If we weren't such a jaded bunch because of the last decade (and there is good reason for this), people would recognize that TE is a promising young QB. And as with any young QB, you will go through ups and downs while learning on the job. Bills fan have become completely irrational.

after jp mailed it in last year, i no longer disliked edwards, but i'm not going to blindly dole out praise when none is warranted. he's the QB, and I hope that he does well. like i said earlier, i don't think he did anything well that game other than that last pass to royal. ooh, he scored a touchdown? wow, he burrowed his head down behind the center and fell forward. awesome achievement.

Great reason to dislike a player: people on a message board.

Just for the record, nobody is blindly doling out praise, just appreciating, having been in situations where things aren't going well and you just have to keep mucking along, that he could have 'mailed it in' during the Cleveland game and didn't. He had EVERY reason to. And he didn't. That counts for something in my book. And it's an intangible part of the growing process for a QB.

I remember a certain Monday night game at Cincy when Kelly threw 3 first quarter INTs as well. I think he ended up with 5 TD passes in that game. Now before you get your drawers in a wad, I'm not comparing the Kelly of that Cincy game (a Kelly who'd been a pro QB for a number of years at that point) with the Edwards against Cleveland. I'm simply saying that in both instances lesser QBs may have found a reason to tank it. But neither did. That's a plus whether you can see it or not in Edwards' case.

GO BILLS!!!

1) You realize that Edwards outplayed JP in both preseasons right?

2) Losman lost the job several different times.

3) I used to like Losman (still like the person) but the fact that people still make excuses for him just drives me insane. He sucked in about 75% of his starts with 2 different coachign staffs after being handed the job without earning it.

Edwards may or may not be the answer but he is so far ahead of Losman at the same point in their careers, it's not even funny. The only reason Edwards gets the crap he does is because guys like Losman, RJ, Bledsoe, and Collins sucked so bad. If we weren't such a jaded bunch because of the last decade (and there is good reason for this), people would recognize that TE is a promising young QB. And as with any young QB, you will go through ups and downs while learning on the job. Bills fan have become completely irrational.

Losman is GONE get over it already. The focus going forward should be on Trent & not weather he is or could be better than JP or not. The focus should be can Trent be a QB that leads the Bills to the playoffs & Super Bowl PERIOD. I am not saying he has to do it in 09, but he has to show he has the ability to do it in the NEAR future.