Donte Whitner ranked 9th best S in NFL

Explain to me what the Bills' system has to do with his supposed "playmaker" status. That's all I was pointing out. I'm by no means a Whitner hater, I've just never seen him make many big plays.

How would you even know if he makes plays? Making plays for a SS is getting off a block from an Olineman and making a nice tackle. Whitner is used in the box more than almost any safety in the NFL. This list is complied by former NFL scouts, not some random SN writer.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you even know if he makes plays? Making plays for a SS is getting off a block from an Olineman and making a nice tackle. Whitner is used in the box more than almost any safety in the NFL. This list is complied by former NFL scouts, not some random SN writer.

Sweet, our playmaker makes nice tackles. Lord, I'm done.

Sweet, our playmaker makes nice tackles. Lord, I'm done.

You can tell your a fan and not someone who understands football. Like many posters before me Donte is not allowed to roam the field like the Ed Reed's and Polamalu's he is oput in the box to ensure that big plays will not happen. He hasn't been allowed to really make the big plays. get a clue

You can tell your a fan and not someone who understands football. Like many posters before me Donte is not allowed to roam the field like the Ed Reed's and Polamalu's he is oput in the box to ensure that big plays will not happen. He hasn't been allowed to really make the big plays. get a clue

Don't try to get Xs and Os on me, guy. I coach high school football. I understand the game. I drive a Dodge Stratus! I just don't like to see him described as a "playmaker." Ed Reed is a playmaker. Kerry Rhodes is a playmaker. Troy Polamalu is a playmaker. I have no problem if you want to describe Whitner as a good safety. I guess it depends on what your definition of a playmaker is. If your definition of a playmaker is someone who "makes nice tackles" and is largely innocuous, then sure, he's a playmaker.

The point is that he is stuck in the box on the majority of our defensive plays. This means that he is less likely to be roaming around looking to jump routes.

Hey, don't insert reality to the discussion. DW sucks, 'cause TSW sayth so...

Love that list. Just bunch all the safeties together without regard to whether they play the free or strong, operate out of a 3-4 or 4-3, and disregard the defensive philosophies of the various teams altogether.

A thorough scientific breakdown of the position and all of its nuance.

Great journalism.

GO BILLS!!!

Love that list. Just bunch all the safeties together without regard to whether they play the free or strong, operate out of a 3-4 or 4-3, and disregard the defensive philosophies of the various teams altogether.

A thourough scientific breakdown of the position and all of its nuance.

Great journalism.

GO BILLS!!!

It's been the TSN's forte throughout this positional breakdown series. Typically, IMO, they have very good reports, but this series is just off-season filler. This said, I'm a fan of Whitner -at least untill we get someone better.

I've given up trying to link their stories. It used to be a lot easier.

ESPN not in hindsight but right after the 2006 draft

Buffalo Donte' Whitner DB Ohio State

With Lawyer Milloy in Atlanta and Troy Vincent clearly on the downside of his career, Buffalo has questions at safety. However, it has far grater needs at offensive tackle and defensive tackle. Taking Whitner is a one of the biggest reaches we have seen.

Buffalo (from Chicago) John McCargo DT North Carolina State

Some picks are more difficult to explain than others. It's true that defensive tackle is one of the Bills' needs, but taking McCargo here is one of the biggest reaches we've seen in years.

You not suppose to judge a draft until after three years (cause it lets the perpetrators slip away) well it's been three years and these picks did not give value considering the position of the picks- Ngata was a no brainer and there were safeties in the second round who are just as productive as Whitner.

Those lists are garbage. Go watch the game. Lee Evans over Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Colston and Roddy White? Hahahaha

Whitner is decent in the run, horrible in coverage. He wasn't playing in the box that much last year as he was at FS. Apologists be damned, he will be 2nd string next year or have a break-out year. I'd like to dream break-out, but I see him on the bench if Byrd ends up any good.

BIG drop off in talent from 8 to 9.

Exactly. And if Whitner was ranked #1 in the league, that would mean that there were no good safeties in the league.

Gotta love it. I knew this thread wouldn't let me down for some humor.

BIG drop off in talent from 8 to 9.

Exactly. And if Whitner was ranked #1 in the league, that would mean that there were no good safeties in the league.

Those lists are garbage. Go watch the game. Lee Evans over Steve Smith, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Colston and Roddy White? Hahahaha

Whitner is decent in the run, horrible in coverage. He wasn't playing in the box that much last year as he was at FS. Apologists be damned, he will be 2nd string next year or have a break-out year. I'd like to dream break-out, but I see him on the bench if Byrd ends up any good.

Really? So you see Byrd and Scott? Might be a good idea!

If he was the best safety in the league, I'd still take the 9th best DE, QB, LT, RT, C, WR, CB, and RB over him every day of the week.

If he was the best safety in the league, I'd still take the 9th best DE, QB, LT, RT, C, WR, CB, and RB over him every day of the week.

So if Ed Reed (the only unanimous selection for the 2008 All-Pro team) were a Bill, you'd still take the 9th best RB (Matt Forte), WR (Greg Jennings), C (Andre Gurode), DE (Patrick Kerney), or CB (Antoine Winfield :blink: )??

May I suggest you give up your dreams of someday being an NFL GM...