Marine Corp Tradition Question

dib

My father in law passed away this past week-end. Being an ex-Marine (is that possible?) and a Lt. Colonel he was afforded full military honors.

One thing I didn't understand, when the flag was removed from the casket and folded into the tri-corner, the Marine doing the final folding 'struck' the casket as he finalized the fold. This was done 3 times. I wasnt able to ask the honor guard and I cant find the answer on line. Your help would be appreciated.

My father in law passed away this past week-end. Being an ex-Marine (is that possible?) and a Lt. Colonel he was afforded full military honors.

One thing I didn't understand, when the flag was removed from the casket and folded into the tri-corner, the Marine doing the final folding 'struck' the casket as he finalized the fold. This was done 3 times. I wasnt able to ask the honor guard and I cant find the answer on line. Your help would be appreciated.

I user to do funeral detail in the Army and never heard of such a tradition. It's either new or a Corps/Navy thing.

My condolences to you dib, on the passing of your father in law. 1st, no, there's no such thing as an ex-Marine.

Once, Always! Semper Fi!

I've never seen or heard of this before and have attended many military funerals. That said, high ranking officers -I believe Lt. Colonel and above- are given special attention, including full honors with horse drawn caisson at Arlington, and I haven't attended one of these. I couldn't find anything about using google, either, but I'll check with military family members today and keep watch on this thread. Seems most uncommon..

As a Marine, no I've never heard of that. Doesn't mean it didn't symbolize something and it could have been unit specific, depeneding on who he'd served with. Did they have the 21 gun salute? if not it could have been a replacement for the three volloys that usually happen?

Also, it is only full birds and above who are granted the caissons. They make exceptions but full birds and above are always supposed to get them.

sorry to hear about your father in law

As a Marine, no I've never heard of that. Doesn't mean it didn't symbolize something and it could have been unit specific, depeneding on who he'd served with. Did they have the 21 gun salute? if not it could have been a replacement for the three volloys that usually happen?

21 gun salute and we were presented with 7 shell casings. I was impressed that a Marine played taps and it wasnt a recording. From what I understand it is increasingly hard to find a bugler that can play taps.

• 2 weeks later...

Any and all funerals, even those with Military honors can be modified to the discression of the family. I was the SNCOIC of the rifle detail for 8 months of funeral duty some years ago. We never "struck" the casket and there is no protocol in the Marine Corps funeral regulations that state such. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it was for conflicts he may have served in? Not sure, but we never did that. On a side note I read you were presented 7 shell casings. When I was on the detail we used to shine the brass before hand and after I gave the firing commands I would ceremonialy retrieve the brass, put the spent shell casings into a red velvet bag that would be inserted into the folded flag prior to it being presented. We also ALWAYS had a live bugler for taps.

On a side note, it was one of the most honorable and proud moments I've had in my 21 plus years as a Marine being on that detail. While it was VERY emotional at times it was something I will always be proud of doing. I'll never forget the family of an Iwo Jima survivor (Purple Heart, and Silver Star recipient) I buried in Wilmington NC. Gave me chills hearing the testimony of his services.

I am sorry to hear about your father-in-law.

Oh yes, strong reactions can arise from the ex-Marine assessment. Retired or Ret. as I have learned.

Any and all funerals, even those with Military honors can be modified to the discression of the family. I was the SNCOIC of the rifle detail for 8 months of funeral duty some years ago. We never "struck" the casket and there is no protocol in the Marine Corps funeral regulations that state such. The only thing I could think of is that maybe it was for conflicts he may have served in? Not sure, but we never did that. On a side note I read you were presented 7 shell casings. When I was on the detail we used to shine the brass before hand and after I gave the firing commands I would ceremonialy retrieve the brass, put the spent shell casings into a red velvet bag that would be inserted into the folded flag prior to it being presented. We also ALWAYS had a live bugler for taps.

On a side note, it was one of the most honorable and proud moments I've had in my 21 plus years as a Marine being on that detail. While it was VERY emotional at times it was something I will always be proud of doing. I'll never forget the family of an Iwo Jima survivor (Purple Heart, and Silver Star recipient) I buried in Wilmington NC. Gave me chills hearing the testimony of his services.

I get chills just reading your post.

21 gun salute and we were presented with 7 shell casings. I was impressed that a Marine played taps and it wasnt a recording. From what I understand it is increasingly hard to find a bugler that can play taps.

My grandfather passed away a couple of years ago, and at the funeral there was a bugler who played Taps. (He was in the Navy during WWII.) I was perfectly fine, standing there as the local Masons did their "schpeel", and the local pastor said a few words, but I absolutely lost it, when they started playing Taps.. I guess at that point, I realized the finality that he was gone. I still get teary-eyed everytime I think about it. :doh:

My grandfather passed away a few years ago. He was a Marine in the Pacific during WWII, fought at Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal etc. When he passed away, my uncle arranged for the full honors just as you described...21 gun salute, bugler etc. at the cemetary. It was really moving and gave me chills...still does when I think about it. Pretty wonderful thing you guys do for fellow Marines when they pass away, even 40+ years after they have served.

As an aside, how would one go about arranging for that? My father was a Marine in Vietnam and saw combat. He is very fit and healthy right now, but in the future (hopefully very distant future), when something happens, I would like him to be buried with the same honors. Who would you contact to arrange something like that? He still lives in WNY.

My grandfather passed away a few years ago. He was a Marine in the Pacific during WWII, fought at Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal etc. When he passed away, my uncle arranged for the full honors just as you described...21 gun salute, bugler etc. at the cemetary. It was really moving and gave me chills...still does when I think about it. Pretty wonderful thing you guys do for fellow Marines when they pass away, even 40+ years after they have served.

As an aside, how would one go about arranging for that? My father was a Marine in Vietnam and saw combat. He is very fit and healthy right now, but in the future (hopefully very distant future), when something happens, I would like him to be buried with the same honors. Who would you contact to arrange something like that? He still lives in WNY.

Call the local recruiting station. they know what to do and will get everything arranged.

The "rap...tap-tap" is the military funeral procession cadence.

If you find some old footage of the JFK procession, you will hear it waft.

That good man was paying last homage, respect, for your father-in-law.