Would you pay a subscription fee...

Lori

Just like the post title says: if WGR were to institute a subscription-based Internet stream, would you subscribe?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Just like the post title says: if WGR were to institute a subscription-based Internet stream, would you subscribe?

• Yes
    • No

(This question is addressed to the people who don't live in the WGR broadcast area; obviously, you locals wouldn't need to pay to hear it....)

Reading through some of the many responses to Howard Simon's thank-you post, I was struck by the number of people who subscribed to a cable/DTV sports package solely to get Empire (which recently has meant the Simoncast and the Sports Report, and that's about it), and who either already have or are going to drop those channels now. I also know there were repeated requests for the URL for Empire's streaming audio; that's why I ended up putting it in my Simoncast ad (err..... signature line <_< ).

A lot of you are pleading with GR to start streaming. The fiscal reality, though, is that someone listening via the 'Net from Florida or California probably isn't going to support Buffalo-area advertisers, and they don't count in the Arbitron ratings (which impacts the rate card for ad buys).

Bottom line: streaming isn't a priority for GR, or any other station, unless it's financially worth their while. The only way I can see to make it worth their while would be to make it a pay-to-listen site. (And there would still be problems to clear up - for instance, if they ever play NHL hockey again, I assume WGR wouldn't be allowed to stream broadcasts of Sabres games because it would conflict with the NHL's own setup.)

But if the logistics are workable and the choice was given to you, would you be willing to pay a couple bucks a month (can't realistically see anything over $3.95 or $4.95/month) to get your Buffalo sports fix?

Just askin', because I really don't know how much interest is out there.

You know, you could get 9 years for this spam.

Kidding, just kidding :lol:  <_<

105178[/snapback]

If you know me, eryn's dad, you know I'm not exactly a big WGR fan. Seriously, I'm just wondering.

Now all the Simoncast stuff, that was spam. :lol:

If you know me, eryn's dad, you know I'm not exactly a big WGR fan. Seriously, I'm just wondering.

Now all the Simoncast stuff, that was spam. <_<

105182[/snapback]

Just funnin Lori, I miss the Bill's. I'm luck to catch two or three games a year.

Course, if I google it, I get all the info I can read. :lol::lol:

;)

I'd pay $10/month without even thinking twice about it to access their local programming (local guys here have the network stuff covered).

It'd be great to listen to Bills talk throughout the day!

If it was a package deal that also included WBEN I wouldn't hesitate to subscribe. Lots of people pay to hear the NFL and MLB radio games so I'm sure there would be some demand for a pay to hear Howard stream.

Sorry I'm not registered and can't officially vote. The whole Simoncast mess is the only thing I've felt compelled to post a reply to in a while. Mostly I'm just happy lurking.

Simply based upon the fact that the station employs Chuck Dickerson- not a chance. We've got a blowhard columnist in LA (TJ Simers) who subscribes to the same school of journalism and it's pathetic. It's possible to lose all credibility with one single, yet IMO catastrophic, decision.

Simply based upon the fact that the station employs Chuck Dickerson- not a chance. We've got a blowhard columnist in LA (TJ Simers) who subscribes to the same school of journalism and it's pathetic. It's possible to lose all credibility with one single, yet IMO catastrophic, decision.

105303[/snapback]

Yes and I will not attend another Bills game until they fire Hank Bullough.... <_<

No I wouldn't. I've been away from Buffalo long enough I don't relate to much what the city offers anymore. As boring as the Bills have been the last few years, it's even hard to say I would pay any fee even to hear the Bills. I know ... humbug.

(This question is addressed to the people who don't live in the WGR broadcast area; obviously, you locals wouldn't need to pay to hear it....)

Reading through some of the many responses to Howard Simon's thank-you post, I was struck by the number of people who subscribed to a cable/DTV sports package solely to get Empire (which recently has meant the Simoncast and the Sports Report, and that's about it), and who either already have or are going to drop those channels now. I also know there were repeated requests for the URL for Empire's streaming audio; that's why I ended up putting it in my Simoncast ad (err..... signature line :lol: ).

A lot of you are pleading with GR to start streaming. The fiscal reality, though, is that someone listening via the 'Net from Florida or California probably isn't going to support Buffalo-area advertisers, and they don't count in the Arbitron ratings (which impacts the rate card for ad buys).

Bottom line: streaming isn't a priority for GR, or any other station, unless it's financially worth their while. The only way I can see to make it worth their while would be to make it a pay-to-listen site. (And there would still be problems to clear up - for instance, if they ever play NHL hockey again, I assume WGR wouldn't be allowed to stream broadcasts of Sabres games because it would conflict with the NHL's own setup.)

But if the logistics are workable and the choice was given to you, would you be willing to pay a couple bucks a month (can't realistically see anything over $3.95 or $4.95/month) to get your Buffalo sports fix?

Just askin', because I really don't know how much interest is out there.

105173[/snapback]

No, because I couldn't receive it at work due to several firewalls (Fed. Gov't). <_<

Otherwise, I would say yes. :lol: