Clark Judge Key to success

it's the line stupid

(why would CBS Sports link the bleacher report in one of their articles?)

They have a marketing partnership. In fact, they're looking for "beat writers" for each NFL team for the upcoming season:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1051313

Description:

Bleacher Report is thrilled to announce an exciting new position being brought to you by CBSSports.com and BleacherReport.com.

The CBSSports.com NFL Correspondent Network is a unique opportunity whereby sports journalists will be given the chance to provide in-depth coverage of NFL teams as fully credentialed members of the press corps.

CBSSports.com and Bleacher Report will select one writer to follow each of the NFL’s 32 teams from the club’s training camp and practices through their regular season and playoff games. The reporters covering the AFC and NFC Champions will also be credentialed to cover Super Bowl XLIV for CBSSports.com and BleacherReport.com.

Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of written work submitted during the evaluation period, as well as education and prior journalism experience. The program is open to any qualified applicant.

Please feel free to submit an application and forward this post to any interested friends or coworkers. Applications are currently being accepted.

Naturally, this was a hot topic on a certain sportswriting message board I frequent. One reply:

I was bored, so I went through the application process. After listing your "favorite" sports journalist, columnist, blog, radio personality, and on and on and on ... you're given a writing assignment. You must pick at least two of 10 questions to answer and BleacherReport.com will post your writing on their website.

Here's my favorite:

4. What turned you into a fan of the team you'd like to cover?

My "assignment" won't make deadline.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the outcome...a 22 year-old child from Connecticut, who attends the University of Dayton, reporting on the Bengals.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/47578-Dan-Parzych

This is the youngster's second piece, AFAIK. He's already danced about and changed his blather; one assumes based on others pointing out his lack of facts and backing off from relying on old wisps he heard here or there. His first chop at CIN was to say that the their defense last season was abysmal - they were 12th overall FWIW.

This thing is a CBS grab for free content, right?

This thing is a CBS grab for free content, right?

Sure. But what I take away from it is the 22 year-old kid gets to attend games for FREE as a "fully credentialed members of the press corps." Pretty smart kid...

Lori, if you don't get this gig for the Bills, there's no justice in the world.

Sure. But what I take away from it is the 22 year-old kid gets to attend games for FREE as a "fully credentialed members of the press corps." Pretty smart kid...

Heh. Were I a member of the legitimate press, I'd set it up so kiddie blogger was in close proximity, then flail my arms out when a spiffy play happened - deftly letting an elbow whack blog-boy hard in the chops, enough to knock him down.

School of hard knocks?

22 year-olds without creds ought to be fetching food and drinks and getting some free education as payment for that service.

:wallbash:

Actually, Cincy, this program doesn't begin until July.

$400 a week, and you're not allowed to use those credentials to freelance for any other outlet. Sorry, but I already have two jobs including the newspaper gig, and I can't afford the paycut.

OTOH, for someone who just got out of J-school and is only now discovering how few writing jobs are available, this would beat the crap out of working at McDonald's. (Plus, it is a nice way to build up some decent clips -- IF the writer takes it seriously instead of going all fanboi, and if B/R allows that to happen.)

$400 a week, and you're not allowed to use those credentials to freelance for any other outlet. Sorry, but I already have two jobs including the newspaper gig, and I can't afford the paycut.

OTOH, for someone who just got out of J-school and is only now discovering how few writing jobs are available, this would beat the crap out of working at McDonald's. (Plus, it is a nice way to build up some decent clips -- IF the writer takes it seriously instead of going all fanboi, and if B/R allows that to happen.)

Hmm...this tyke with a byline on CBS Sportsline...I'm confused. Is he getting $$$? :wallbash:

Sounds perfect for Connor Byrne.

$400 a week, and you're not allowed to use those credentials to freelance for any other outlet.

Yikes! Exclusivity for $400 per week. They're going to get the barrel bottom scrapers with that (Skooby, you got a shot, 'tho).

What's the point of having a web presence if the content stinks. :lol: