F.L. Wright & Buffalo architecture

GG

"The sudden financial reverses of the Martin family don't fully explain how their complex was allowed to tumble into ruins. Abandoned soon after his death in 1935, it stood vacant and unheated for 16 years."

Martin's wife reportedly hated the place. Cool architecture, but not very livable, apparently...

"The sudden financial reverses of the Martin family don't fully explain how their complex was allowed to tumble into ruins. Abandoned soon after his death in 1935, it stood vacant and unheated for 16 years."

Martin's wife reportedly hated the place. Cool architecture, but not very livable, apparently...

Ditto for Fallingwater. By the by, the general contractor for that job was from my hometown, and his son, Raymond Viner Hall, became a protege of Wright's. If you drive west out of Port Allegany on Rt. 6, as you crest the first hill you'll see the house Walter Hall built for himself, known as Lynn Hall. The son designed my alma mater. Obviously, the Wright influence is strong in both buildings.

I used to live down the street from the Martin House. Been in it several times. While amazing the place was very rock solid--so much so that you would break bones if you fell.I think the place would need some softening to be more liveable.

That may be just as much due to Wright's furniture design. Gorgeous to look at, but virtually unusable.

True enough. Fallingwater is awe-inspiring to visit, but I'm sure the novelty would wear off quickly.

Not if you have endless cash on tap! You could always have the driver fire up the V-16 Cadillac Phaeton for a jaunt back to the 'burgh, or a picnic in the Laurel Highlands. :thumbsup:

A remembrance: One of the bedrooms had an articulating device that clamped and held a book over the bed for nighttime reading. That...I would like to have.

Not if you have endless cash on tap! You could always have the driver fire up the V-16 Cadillac Phaeton for a jaunt back to the 'burgh, or a picnic in the Laurel Highlands. :thumbsup:

A remembrance: One of the bedrooms had an articulating device that clamped and held a book over the bed for nighttime reading. That...I would like to have.

Damn, that's one nice car...

link